Near death experience on WS DH

July 24, 2008, 6:03 a.m.

The trails on that side of the mountain are supposed to be more natural and technical. Just like technical trails anywhere else they change with time, riders and weather.

I would hate to see these trails paved when they see a bit of erosion.

The fact that they are between 5-10 feet wide should also give you plenty of line options if you want a smoother route.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

July 24, 2008, 10:10 a.m.

We as the riders of the trails are the people ultimatly responsible for the nature of the trail, especially older ones like Whistler DH (which is double black), I have been here riding in the park for 9 years, in those years I have seen almost every trail go from singletrack with real dirt to the trails they are now, down to the rock. And WE made these trails what they are, not WBP, they are wider, take more time to maintain and there are cheater lines everywhere, or some would say easier lines too. You can see it perfectly on upper Original Sin. The Whistler DH start has ALWAYS been that way, it MEANT to punish rider and bike for mistakes. The trail crew here has done thier best to keep this place in good shape.
As far as cost I compare it to the ski experience, in the winter the prices around here are stupid, and people pay because we are the best mountain experience in North America, they pay to play. Its the same for the bike park, it is the best in the world, in order to keep it that way, we all need to realize that EVERY business adjusts cost every year and prices go up. You think gas is any cheaper for them? I expect our money is being spent as frugally as possible given the current economic climate.
Do some real thinking about things you are talking about before bitching about some holes in a black diamond bike trail that you didn't see…..

mtbskierdad

July 24, 2008, 10:44 a.m.

going to ride my bike now…

July 24, 2008, 11:13 a.m.

what were saying, is we live here and we pay for it, when the price goes up we expect more when more is promised. granted no rain for like a month now so working on ninja cougar is pretty much impossible. i understand that a little bit but at the same time if you've been working on the trail for over a year, it should never take that long to finish. It is such a short connector trail granted however awesome the berms and pumper rollers are its still short.dont say anything about the canadian open course because that tyler's baby not trail crews. with that non cooperative weather as most of you see it, the trail crew has managed to do some great fixes on bline and heart of darkness (thank you so much for that rocked in section its primo). it will always stand with the dry weather and a lot of people riding the park (although not as many as last year it seems) its gonna get run down and it is called mountain biking for a reason, and most of the trails are pretty wide and i avoid or skip over most brake bumps, maybe you should learn how to as well. well i gtg get the bike dialled so i can ride the park today!

here to ride but i'm to busy building

July 24, 2008, 3:42 p.m.

at least u can go to whistler. i would kill to be able to go to whistler.

I hear ya, stuck on this rock for a little while at least….:/

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

July 24, 2008, 3:53 p.m.

If it is your first time down the trail for the year you should be aware that things might be different then the last time you were down the trail. The trails change DAILY. whether that be due to being destroyed, or the trail crew fixing/changing parts, the riders need to ride with caution.

Close, but I'd change that a bit and say that your first time down a trail for the DAY should be slower and a bit more cautious. As you say, things change daily. Ride ANY trail at an easier pace the first time, then rip it up on the next run when you know were all the rough bits are.

To me that's just common sense.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

July 24, 2008, 3:59 p.m.

it's mountain biking, rocks, roots, holes, etc are part of the game….if you can't handle the heat, then get outta the kitchen!

July 24, 2008, 4:13 p.m.

Blaming a trail for your mistakes is a cop out. Ride for the conditions. If you are unable to take responsibility for riding a little out of your level than in the future just don't bother. Mountain biking can be a dangerous sport, trails change constantly. It is impossible to be on top of every change on every trail. Learn to deal with it, seriously. I feel like this is a jerk response (and I'm sorry for that) but its attitudes like this that drive people to sue others for their own damn actions.

Just one of many examples:
http://www.westernstandard.ca/website/article.php?id=832

July 24, 2008, 4:17 p.m.

it's mountain biking, rocks, roots, holes, etc are part of the game….if you can't handle the heat, then get outta the kitchen!

word! bunch of nancys.

July 24, 2008, 4:26 p.m.

Tuumbaq = pansy

July 24, 2008, 4:40 p.m.

I agree with both sides but I'll add my own near injury cause of embarrasment story. The last time I was at Whistler I rode DM as a fun warm up, I'm familiar with the trail and had pumped lots of laps the previous weekend. I got to the new corner and found the temporary re-route was gone and the new trail section was in place. I was so excited to rail the brand new berm with nice tacky dark dirt on it that I completely missed the also brand new tire sucking giant holes in the berm. I went over the bars super quick, luckily wasn't hurt but I'm still confused about how a brand new berm that obviously got a lot of work and should have been dialed had such heinous holes in the middle of the line?!

I know, my fault for charging in with too much zest for life and all but those holes totally just snuck up on me and tossed me over the bars.

July 24, 2008, 5:21 p.m.

Just one of many examples:
http://www.westernstandard.ca/website/article.php?id=832

Words to live by:

Avid mountain biker Nate Chrisp says the suit reflects a larger problem: people refusing to take responsibility for themselves. "You fall all the time mountain biking," explains Chrisp, manager of Calgary's Mountain Bike City. Cyclists should expect paved city paths to be crater-free, he says. But mountain bikers on rugged trails have "a responsibility to walk the trail [looking for hazards] before riding it."

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

July 24, 2008, 6:22 p.m.

That is it!
After reading this thread I am not going to Whistler!
I cannot imagine having to ride through dirt, rocks and holes on my mountain bike!

Whistler, ever hear of wide gravel paths with little grade. I suggest installing 100's of km of them.

Then I will feel safe on my DH bike and I won't have to check things out first.
:rolleyes:

July 24, 2008, 6:27 p.m.

"Mountain" biking right?

July 24, 2008, 6:35 p.m.

well…don't we all "ride till we die" ? i know i will

my response after every bail:

"how is my bike"