Near death experience on WS DH

July 23, 2008, 5:48 p.m.

Since nobody really seems to follow up with the "current condition" thread anymore, I thought of starting a new thread and hopefully get more visibility.

First of all,we all know how hard the trail crew are busting their arses and I want to say thank you to all of the guys for doing a such great job.Apparently there's only 12 of them for the entire mountain which leads me to believe they all must be SUPERMENS…

With that being said,I've been riding up there for 6 years now, Ive seen MUCH dryer summers WITH A LOT more traffic but I have NEVER seen the park in such a LAME shape.I thought the SIGNIFICANT price raise for a PASS was SUPPOSE to either give me new trails in the Garbo zone like its been said (and Im not talking about No Joke re-opening) or at least super buffed trails…Ninja cougar looks ready to go( just like it was a year ago) sorry and cant think of anything else right now that is new…French connection doesn't count…its been there for ever.

BUT!!!!! I can live with that I mean, Whistler still is a killer place to ride, Im just not sure where my money went…

What REALLY pisses me off is when I nearly kill myself on a trail because of the terrible conditions…Picture this, Im pinning down the very first part of Whistler DH, set up for the small berm and then…BANG not one but 2 GIANT holes waiting to swallow my front wheel…Nevertheless I manage to pull it off and avoid the carnage but the trail had more to make sure I was really going to eat shit.Right after the berm…THE TRAIL IS GONE!!! I mean completely washed OUT!!!…and down I went..

Go ahead flame me if you want for being spoiled and a major wining asshole but I'm SO angry right now:swearing:.Is it THAT hard to make sure a patrol OR somebody from the WBP rides down all the trails at the end of the day and make a report ? That trail should literally be CLOSE (which would be a shame)until they fix it or at least put a warning sign…Perhaps I was riding to fast, in fact yes, I was too fast because in 6 years I've never expected something that bad on the hill…

July 23, 2008, 6:05 p.m.

With all this dry weather im sure the WBP trail crew are doing the best they can as far as trail repairs go……At Silverstar our trail crew are going through the exact same problems…..without any rain or moisture fixing any exsisting holes is pretty much impossible and pointless…..With it being this dry as soon as you fill the hole or rake out the brake bumps it almost instantly turns to DUST and blows out!!! You just gotta slow it down and ride to current park conditions………im sure it will get fixed as soon as the weather co-operates!!

July 23, 2008, 6:41 p.m.

Yeah, the berm is blown out, but it is YOUR responsibility to check the conditions of the trails. It is a DH race course, it is kind of fun when everything is blown out and off camber. it makes it challenging.

That being said, new trails are in the works. they are currently building upper blue velvet, a whole new section to connect freight train, ninja cougar, a new course for the canadian open, and proballly more stuff I don't know about.

So I would say, it sucks you crashed, but check the trails out next time, as features are always changing.

Kyle,

"Jesus Christ, This should be an event motherfcker, Chinese downhill fcking slalom" - DO'D on the Crankworx berm busting session on the slalom course

July 23, 2008, 7:38 p.m.

just give the sweeps a little more work to do on trail report

July 23, 2008, 7:59 p.m.

How do you exactly check trail status?

If it is your first time down the trail for the year you should be aware that things might be different then the last time you were down the trail. The trails change DAILY. whether that be due to being destroyed, or the trail crew fixing/changing parts, the riders need to ride with caution.

I've been down a few trails this year, that have had maintenance to them which has surprised me in sections. It actually happened the other day on HOD. I came around the corner and was ready for the braking bumps and there was a bunch of rock armoring. The trail changed and it was my fault for not recognizing it. If WBP fixed that berm I would probally botch it up as I know it is blown out.

Kyle,

"Jesus Christ, This should be an event motherfcker, Chinese downhill fcking slalom" - DO'D on the Crankworx berm busting session on the slalom course

July 23, 2008, 8:07 p.m.

I hear the XC loops are super smooth…

Stupidity…For me it's job security ;)
D.King: EMT-I / FF1 / Swiftwater Rescue Tech
:scotland:

July 23, 2008, 8:24 p.m.

.I thought the SIGNIFICANT price raise for a PASS was SUPPOSE to either give me new trails

More like the significant price raise reflects the significant raise in the cost of operations.

Sucks about crashing though.

July 23, 2008, 8:59 p.m.

I dont know if calling out wbp about it is really fair, it hasnt rained and its the DH trail, meant to be ridden at high speeds so obviously trail damage will occur. When the rain comes they will fix it, until then like Geoffg said you should just avoid it and choose a little different line instead of get angry about it.

http://kamloopsbikes.blogspot.com

July 23, 2008, 10:33 p.m.

maybe instead of putting in all the snow making equipment for the olympics, they should be putting in sprinklers for the bike trails…

July 23, 2008, 10:37 p.m.

Phew. For a second there I thought you might be blaming the frame/brakes/suspension/tires/grips/that little nibby thing on the end of your cables.

Sorry to hear about the scare but in all honesty… ask yourself… who was ultimately responsible for your mis-adventure?

July 23, 2008, 10:46 p.m.

theres a saying in the winter alpine activities to "look before you leap" or check yourself before you wreck yourself" it applies to summer as well

Some resort in Nor Cal has sprinkler systems to keep the trails moist. must be nice.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

July 23, 2008, 11:23 p.m.

so you ARE saying that BECAUSE you slid OUT that IT'S a NEAR death experience?

It's A dh line meant TO be rough. Ride appropriately AND TAKE responsibility FOR your own ACTIONS.

July 23, 2008, 11:25 p.m.

Sorry to hear about the scare but in all honesty… ask yourself… who was ultimately responsible for your mis-adventure?

that's too easy - WBP of course. god, can they not just fill in the braking bumps? is that TOO MUCH TO ASK? sheesh. god forbid a rider should have to handle gnar.

July 23, 2008, 11:30 p.m.

at least u can go to whistler. i would kill to be able to go to whistler.

July 24, 2008, 3:14 a.m.

at least u can go to whistler. i would kill to be able to go to whistler.

I think this pretty much wins

http://www.whistlermountainbike.com
http://www.motionmtb.com/