must ride trails please

July 7, 2010, 9:04 p.m.

i see where youre coming from. trying not to sound cockey, but im not your average 'uk rider'. sure theres going to be stuff ill have second thoughts about riding but the main reason for me going is to get to ride that sort of stuff. if only i could prove it over the internet, cos yeah for all you know i could be an over enthusiastic, trail centre weekend warrior lol

i dont have many pics of what we get up to and these sure arent whistler/canda esque but a recent jump thats been dug:

we dont really get pictures of trail riding, but annnyway…

Ha, awesome! I guess you've got more in common with Steve Peat than someone riding around Thetford on a rigid singlespeed Inbred then :lol:

treezz
wow you are a ass

July 9, 2010, 8:58 a.m.

I agree with the gnar here. Rocks, roots, steeps, good fun!! Everything in the bike park is awesome, so don't worry there. If you are bringing a bike that is not too bad to pedal up hill or if you don't mind hike a biking I would definitely recommend these trails:

Westside trails:
Cheap Thrills - Flowy, rock steeps, just pure awesomeness. Everything can be walked too if you need to.
AC/DC - Rocks, rocks and more rocks. So good!
Danimal (North, South and Middle) - Flowy fun riding with a few steep loose sections.
Beavers Bass - Super flowy. Not too much steep stuff.

All of the aboce trails I ride on my Transition Covert pretty comfortably. Its a 5.5" duallie, so nice. Invest in the Whistler Bike Guide. Is my bible. You can tick off what you have done too which is cool.

You are going to love this place. I would also recommend a day in Squamish if you can. There are endless amounts of trails there that don't have the concret bike park feel. Talk to the guys at Tantalus Bike Shop and buy a Squamish map there. Super cool and helpful.

Tear it up man.

July 11, 2010, 1:13 p.m.

here is a video of dougie riding, he aint that bad, just an average uk rider

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/120528/

July 11, 2010, 11:21 p.m.

He might want to start off on Easy Does It. ;) :lol:

July 12, 2010, 1:20 p.m.

How long are you out for? Bear in mind that, if you know the trails and get on the gas, it's possible to do more or less every trail in the park, including Garbo, in one day, although you will be destroyed by the end of the day. Obviously, it's possible to spend 3 weeks solid riding the park everyday and still have a big grin on your face, but a two week visit can easily accommodate a healthy mixture of everything.

Also, bear in mind that, due to the heavy traffic seen by most of the trails in BC, some of the locals get a bit teary-eyed when they see fresh, "loamy" trails. Back in the UK, we have loam to spare, just not on any significant hills. Still, I can remember getting excited for the Alps for the sole reason of being able to pin fast, flat-out rocky trails. So yeah, do a bit of everything, do more of what you enjoy, and don't let the trail snobs make you feel bad if that involves more park laps!

July 12, 2010, 3:53 p.m.

oi, dont make me post pics of your rad^sicknar glentress air time lol

July 12, 2010, 4:39 p.m.

You can't get hurt in the air.

July 12, 2010, 4:47 p.m.

You can't get hurt in the air.

yup, like i said, youll have to take my word for it that we can ride trails.

July 12, 2010, 7:25 p.m.

Simply buy the Finestone/Hodder guidebook from a local bike shop when you get to town and it will tell you everything.

July 19, 2010, 12:49 p.m.

good advice from the locals.
i live in socal and was laid off and lived in whistler for 6 weeks last summer, one awesome summer! for an outsider i can say the off park trails are awesome, a great change up (to get that loam, fresh stuff, backcountry feel). my favorite trails are all up, then down. so i bought the guide book and hit up: RDS, khyper, gargemel, cheap thrills-99er, high society, industrial diease, jaws/billy epic, the one off of blackcomb (steep and loamy!) and danilmal/beaver pass. plus i knew a local in squamish, squamish has SO much stuff. and also pemby and shore also.

Sept. 13, 2010, 6:15 a.m.

yo. got back last week from the trip. loved it, best place ive ever been. only got one day out of the park so we rode ride dont slide which was by far the best trail i rode those two weeks. difficult in the wet for sure. id like to think i got all the park trails ridden but im pretty sure therell be the odd cut off/less obvious ones ive missed.

Sept. 13, 2010, 8:44 a.m.

RDS in the wet? Hunt him down! Murder his family! Kick his dog!

treezz
wow you are a ass

Sept. 13, 2010, 9 a.m.

No no, FlipFantasia said it was ok!

this is the thing aobut the park, yeah you can get a lot of laps in, but, when it's dry and hot you get dusty, blown out trails with huge holes and braking bumps. when it's wet you get ridiculously filthy and muddy the trails are mucky and slippery and your bike hates you. not that there's anything wrong with the aforementioned, BUT, the valley trails do not suffer the same fate in either weather extreme. you can ride them in the rain and while you will get wet, you'll probably not get muddy. and when it's super dry the trails don't have huge braking bumps on them and you won't be choking on dust. Anyway, just saying, quantity isn't always better than quality….it's all about balance…

Originally Posted by sAFETY
As a vegitarian, I don't eat bacon, as a human being I crave and miss it.

Sept. 13, 2010, 12:57 p.m.

RDS in the wet? Hunt him down! Murder his family! Kick his dog!

D: ha yeah, it did cross my mind but it was the only chance i was going to get to ride it. we were obviously not the only ones to have recently riden it in the wet

Sept. 14, 2010, 11:57 a.m.

What kinda gnar are you looking for? Trails that make you wanna crap your pants? Is your version of gnarly include off camber rock faces to drop, slick, death defying crack rock shoots? Whistler has some fun trails in the park, on and off the maps.

However I'd suggest trying to find your way to Pemberton for a few quality shuttles. Go find Cop Killer, Gravatron, upper and lower Bob Gnarly (this one is pretty good rush when its dry and wet). Resurrectum is also another good fun fast flowy trail.

Dont limit yourself to Whistler bike park, Squamish also has epic trails for riding and it you can make it to Sun Peaks, in Kamloops, all the trails there have very steep pithces. Its the fastest bike park, bring brake pads. They also have a nice jump park there with some pretty fun jumps. I have a couple pics posted, have a peek.

I almost forgot the North Shore, check that out.