must ride trails please

July 6, 2010, 6:41 p.m.

so myself and mates are heading over in august. i most likely wont be able to afford to go again, so id like a list of asmany of the trails i need to get atleast a run down while im there. any varieties of gnar.

help much appreciated :)

ride dont slide
kill me thrill me
comfortably numb

July 6, 2010, 6:58 p.m.

deffinetely check out the non-bike park stuff. ride don't slide, kill me thrill me, comfortably numb…etc, kill me thrill me is a XC trail on steroids but is deffinetely worth a looksy.

Parking lot punter with a beer belly

July 6, 2010, 7:17 p.m.

cheers, keep em coming

July 6, 2010, 8:15 p.m.

Bike Park - Bline and ALine, Freight Train, Original Sin, In Deep, Fatcrobat, Blue Velvet, Ninja Cougar, Karate Monkey, Samurai Pizza Cat, Joyride, Schleyer, Goats Gully

Valley Trails - River Runs Through It, Khyber Pass, Babylon By Bike, Binty's, Billy's Epic, Shit Happens, Big Kahuna, White Knuckles, Anal Intruder, Zappa Trials

I could go on…too many good ones….

mtbskierdad

July 7, 2010, 8:24 a.m.

crank it up (bike park)!

July 7, 2010, 8:52 a.m.

any varieties of gnar.

Maybe confirm that before throwing yourself down random Whistler trails! If you are a reasonable UK rider for example, you'll be walking down most of the trails suggested. No offence meant, but as an ex-guide I've had people say "take me down something gnarly!" and insisted that they are a really good rider, so I take them down the like of Billy's Epic which isn't THAT hard, and they've walked nearly all of it.

treezz
wow you are a ass

July 7, 2010, 9:19 a.m.

Just do laps of Shalemaster

July 7, 2010, 9:59 a.m.

Maybe confirm that before throwing yourself down random Whistler trails! If you are a reasonable UK rider for example, you'll be walking down most of the trails suggested. No offence meant, but as an ex-guide I've had people say "take me down something gnarly!" and insisted that they are a really good rider, so I take them down the like of Billy's Epic which isn't THAT hard, and they've walked nearly all of it.

this is very true….we recently took a very experienced rider/writer/editor down billy epic, and he walked more than a few sections…the tough stuff here is really tough anywhere else…not saying that to brag, just saying it's a fact….don't bite off more than you can chew, cause you can get eaten up and spat out very quickly…

July 7, 2010, 10:03 a.m.

And the whole beauty of Whistler (in the park) is that you can get soooooooooo much riding done in a day. And the terrain is plenty awesome.

Of course, I've never ridden RDS or any of the other trails mentioned outside the park…, but if I were flying in for a short period, I'd prefer to just go for quantity. The quality is going to be there. Fo sho, yo.

July 7, 2010, 10:07 a.m.

And the whole beauty of Whistler (in the park) is that you can get soooooooooo much riding done in a day. And the terrain is plenty awesome.

Of course, I've never ridden RDS or any of the other trails mentioned outside the park…, but if I were flying in for a short period, I'd prefer to just go for quantity. The quality is going to be there. Fo sho, yo.

this is the thing aobut the park, yeah you can get a lot of laps in, but, when it's dry and hot you get dusty, blown out trails with huge holes and braking bumps. when it's wet you get ridiculously filthy and muddy the trails are mucky and slippery and your bike hates you. not that there's anything wrong with the aforementioned, BUT, the valley trails do not suffer the same fate in either weather extreme. you can ride them in the rain and while you will get wet, you'll probably not get muddy. and when it's super dry the trails don't have huge braking bumps on them and you won't be choking on dust. Anyway, just saying, quantity isn't always better than quality….it's all about balance…

July 7, 2010, 10:17 a.m.

Your not bragging at all Flip. Its a fact. Those trails will test your fitness, and your up and down tech riding skills.
There are sections of some of these "xc" trails that are every bit as gnarly as goats gully, schleyer, or joy ride. They just dont have the air time. AND, your on a trail bike most likely. It is ridiculous fun times. Use the Zappa trails as your measure, as some one already mentioned.

WTF, Over?

July 7, 2010, 10:39 a.m.

Quality trumps quantity any day.

July 7, 2010, 10:53 a.m.

Could also tag a day trip to Pemby and be pretty happy with life.

July 7, 2010, 6:30 p.m.

i see where youre coming from. trying not to sound cockey, but im not your average 'uk rider'. sure theres going to be stuff ill have second thoughts about riding but the main reason for me going is to get to ride that sort of stuff. if only i could prove it over the internet, cos yeah for all you know i could be an over enthusiastic, trail centre weekend warrior lol

i dont have many pics of what we get up to and these sure arent whistler/canda esque but a recent jump thats been dug:

we dont really get pictures of trail riding, but annnyway…

July 7, 2010, 8:50 p.m.

Do at least a few laps in the park. You'll like it. Dirt Merchant is essentially 20 hits like that in a row.

Then go knock yourself out in the forest.