Music in the Bike Park?

June 12, 2012, 9:01 p.m.

I'm not one for music when I am out on the AM rig, as I feel it takes away from the over all experience.

However, lately all of my usual partners in crime have been absent from the bike park in lieu of work and I find myself constantly riding solo. I almost always ski with music, but in skiing you don't frequently have someone bearing down directly behind you if you let up on the speed a little.

So my question is, how many of you guys are rocking ear buds in the park?

June 12, 2012, 9:03 p.m.

Nothing I love more than dropping into the Flute Chutes with my music playing… I can't even imagine myself dropping into anything in the bike park with them in.

June 12, 2012, 9:31 p.m.

I used to strap an amp onto my back and blast beats when I rode up there. It was bad ass.

June 13, 2012, 8:21 a.m.

I am a music fan through and through. I love it.

But I can't wear buds/listen when I ski - as I like to hear my surroundings, be aware, be tuned in. And I'd certainly not consider wearing them in the park, especially when it's busy and there are carcasses flying all over hell's half acre.

"I'm addicted to surfing."

June 13, 2012, 8:33 a.m.

I very very occasionally wear music in the winter, usually quiet solo mornings before work….bike park, no way, not being able to hear people coming up behind you, or what's happening around you, is annoying.

June 13, 2012, 8:48 a.m.

Drives me nuts when my students clients use them. Lots of the people I see with music def should be paying more attention.

Some are fine. I prefer music when I can listen to more than one song.

C4 Rider Training 2013

Contact me at: [email protected]

I am not so good at returning PM's as some have noticed.

c4race.com

June 13, 2012, 10:13 a.m.

I also do not prefer buds in the ears when riding as it blocks too much of the ambient noise and noises of other people and riders around you. I do however love music and love to listen to it when I ride so I stole this idea from a friend of mine.

Step 1) Buy iPod Shuffle ($50)
Step 2) Buy cheap set of over the ear headphones like these:

Step 3) Remove speaker portions of headphones being careful not to damage the wires.
Step 4) Insert speakers into full face helmet (super glue, velcro, etc) and tuck extra wires under padding. Clip Shuffle to chin strap and connect to speakers.
Step 5) Rock out and ride.

This allows me to hear music while I ride without having my ears plugged up with buds and completely shutting out the surrounding noises. I can easily hit the pause/play button, volume, etc without having to reach into a pocket or backpack and a shuffle holds more than enough music for a day (or month) at the park depending on how often you want to switch up your tunes. I usually make a playlist at the beginning of the season and only mix it up once or twice during the year.

I know some of you might not agree with gluing things to helmets because of the potential to compromise the helmets effectiveness (Like stickers on helmets…) To you I say piss off.

If you typically rock an enduro or XC lid and want something like this I saw these guys at Sea Otter and thought it was a sweet idea but you could probably make something similar yourself:

O-Tus

My Team From San Luis Obispo, CA
SLOtothebone.wordpress.com

My Dirtbag Team in BC
The B-Team

B-Team :heart:'s You

June 13, 2012, 10:39 a.m.

climbing up = music
riding down = no music

June 13, 2012, 6:17 p.m.

I tried it and didn't like it. Makes me feel really disconnected from riding and not aware of my surroundings. I thought it might help get the speed up as you don't hear the wind rushing past but it just feels wrong and I ended up way slower.

June 13, 2012, 11:33 p.m.

I'm definitely not a guy who likes to listen to music while riding, just personal preference though. I like to pay attention to my bike and my surroundings.

I have friends that ski with headphones. It's impossible to talk to them on the chairlift ("Sorry, what did you say?") and I hate it if you're with someone and can't find them, you're yelling but know they can't hear you over their music. Annoying for sure.

http://www.cyberetrothreads.com

ya fuck you windows. fuck you too door.

June 16, 2012, 8:42 a.m.

cant ski without music cant bike without music. only difference if im riding bikepark i'll only put one headphone in so i can still hear shit.

fuck lmm

I like how he casually dropped the "I'm famous" bomb.
LMM, if I ever see you at Whistler, make sure Schne is close by to take a picture of me punching you in the balls.

i dont post anymore unless its a lmm thread
such a tool

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonfrodomacfarlane/sets/

June 16, 2012, 11:23 a.m.

I understand a lot of people really like it but it's a huge safety hazard. I don't think people should listen to music while riding (in or out of the park) for lots of reasons but I'll keep my opinions to myself. If you want to, go for it, but I'm glad to see a lot of people are of the same opinions so far.

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

June 16, 2012, 11:47 a.m.

Music makes the bike quiet!

June 16, 2012, 11:52 a.m.

never even thought about riding with music. Road riding when i was injured yes, but only cos its boring as shit. One of the best things about biking is the escape from technology, escape from all that bullshit. I rarely even ride with a phone. just helmet and bike.
shredding in the winter inbounds ill occassionly have tunes if im solo, but mostly not. never in the backcountry. the sounds or (lack of) is one of the enjoyments for me.

June 16, 2012, 11:54 a.m.

I don't ride with music in either case but I was thinking about this. When you're skiing, you don't have to worry as much about the people above you because they have lots of room to go around you if needed. Having said that, if you're in the bike park, there are only 2-3 trails where people might want to pass (A-Line, DM, CIU) and there isn't room to pass - so why worry?

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca