Map App update and private property

Aug. 9, 2014, 12:45 p.m.

At the North West end of Alpha Lake there is now a hunk of area labelled private no access. There are a number of trail within such as moose knuckles , baby snakes, danimal. What's this all about? The land seems too steep to build and is criss crossed by hydro and rail rights of way.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Aug. 9, 2014, 9:22 p.m.

At the North West end of Alpha Lake there is now a hunk of area labelled private no access. There are a number of trail within such as moose knuckles , baby snakes, danimal. What's this all about? The land seems too steep to build and is criss crossed by hydro and rail rights of way.

came up last year when the landowner wanted a bunch of rezoning and bed units to make their shitty piece of property (aforementioned steepness, hydrolines, railways) developable. The RMOW wisely said no, and now the land owner is trying to say trails are devaluing their property and have huffed and puffed and threatened to charge people with tresspassing, etc. Along with that they've demanded all trail maps have the trails on their property removed from them. I fully support the muni in not caving to outlandish demands from people who think they're entitled to more than their zoning gives them.

Aug. 10, 2014, 8:38 a.m.

Indeed. I vaguely recall private property signs somewhere over there a few years ago but I can't recall exactly where.

Aug. 10, 2014, 9:27 a.m.

private property is private property…

Aug. 10, 2014, 11:22 a.m.

Yes but in this instance a person has no clue whatsoever that they are on private property unless there are signs now or it's on a map and they are checking that map. I was there about three weeks ago and saw nothing.

Aug. 10, 2014, 3 p.m.

that actually happened to me recently, it was annoying

Aug. 10, 2014, 3:53 p.m.

private property is private property…

Yes, and I can respect that. But there have been trails on this property for years with no issue and no signage. As far as I know it has only been an issue since last year.

came up last year when the landowner wanted a bunch of rezoning and bed units to make their shitty piece of property (aforementioned steepness, hydrolines, railways) developable. The RMOW wisely said no, and now the land owner is trying to say trails are devaluing their property and have huffed and puffed and threatened to charge people with tresspassing, etc. Along with that they've demanded all trail maps have the trails on their property removed from them. I fully support the muni in not caving to outlandish demands from people who think they're entitled to more than their zoning gives them.

I've heard this rumour/info as well as the rumour that the owner wanted money from having last year's EWS course running on trails on the property. And, the answer was no to being paid so he made a stink and then put up 2 No Trespassing signs. The EWS course was then changed last minute along with last year's womens WORCA race course.
The zoning issue sounds more plausible. Although, the pettiness sucks.

Aug. 10, 2014, 7:41 p.m.

I've heard this rumour/info as well as the rumour that the owner wanted money from having last year's EWS course running on trails on the property. And, the answer was no to being paid so he made a stink and then put up 2 No Trespassing signs. The EWS course was then changed last minute along with last year's womens WORCA race course.
The zoning issue sounds more plausible. Although, the pettiness sucks.

it's both, they thought that if they raised a stink re. Crankworx that it would give them leverage….again, wisely everyone else said "Fine, put up signs and restrict access". Shitty property is shitty property, just because the bought something does not entitle them to cash in. Next time they shouldn't buy a shitty investment with the expectation that they're owed something.

Aug. 10, 2014, 8:33 p.m.

Yes, and I can respect that. But there have been trails on this property for years with no issue and no signage. As far as I know it has only been an issue since last year.

big fucking deal..not to be an assole but we live in an adult world..

do you pay the property taxes?

Aug. 10, 2014, 9:36 p.m.

big fucking deal..not to be an assole but we live in an adult world..

do you pay the property taxes?

I can't resist! I'll bite!

Yes, I do pay property taxes, I am an adult and I do live in an adult world.

Other than being a total dick, what's your point?

Aug. 10, 2014, 9:46 p.m.

The point being . Trails or not . Private property is owned by some guy that seems to not ride . Trails are on his property that he/she pays taxes to the man for .
Right to complain , yes
right to be petty , yup
shitty deal to those that have interest riding there , you bet.

IMO the land owner probably sees that the trails are listed on maps that people sell, people make money ( granted not much ) on having a coloured line on a map through his/her private property………..
people with the potential to hurt themselves on his/her private property . Most likely an attorney would suggest to said property owner that KNOWN trails are on his property and that he may be liable in a law suit if someone died or seriously injured themselves on said property .

Shitty deal for all parties IMO . us and them.

Aug. 10, 2014, 9:50 p.m.

I can't resist! I'll bite!

Yes, I do pay property taxes, I am an adult and I do live in an adult world.

Other than being a total dick, what's your point?

Unfortunately you dont pay "the" property taxes for that piece of land.

I dont think Duke was being a dick. just stating the facts

Aug. 10, 2014, 10:02 p.m.

I'm not fully apprised of the laws, but I think if there are trails in use for a long enough period of time, the public gains "right of way" access to use them, regardless of who owns the land or pays the property taxes…

Ride, don't slide.

Aug. 10, 2014, 10:11 p.m.

^ i'd have to see that in some legal shit some where.. that sounds like commie shit to me..

Aug. 10, 2014, 10:28 p.m.

no need to turn this into a flame war, folks. map people are cool, worca's cool, muni's cool, developer isn't getting shit. in the mean time they claim they'll charge for trespassing and decommission the trails, but maybe that hasn't actually happened…..so, you know, as you were