Man dies from injury in Whistler Mountain Bike Park

June 3, 2014, 2:14 p.m.

how is that the most dangerous section on the mountain?

June 3, 2014, 2:35 p.m.

how is that the most dangerous section on the mountain?

In my opinion mostly because it is so wide and open, no clear line, fast, compression at the bottom, some cracks and holes in the rock face. I guess I feel safer when I'm surrounded by trees. It just seems like an easy place to lose control and make bad decisions.

I'm just curious how others feel and apologize to anyone that might be offended in a tragedy. That section has always bothered me more than any other. I'm putting myself in the shoes of the WBP as I myself have to confront these risk management issues.

~~~~~~~~~~~

June 3, 2014, 4:34 p.m.

That section can be a little sketchy at times but it's a pretty big stretch to make into the most dangerous section. Goes to show anything can happen at any time.

Ride
In
Peace

June 3, 2014, 4:40 p.m.

I have a hard time not feeling a little selfish riding Whistler so much as I know a bad mistake can not only impact me greatly, but my family as well.

Did the incident happen here?

June 3, 2014, 5 p.m.

I have a hard time not feeling a little selfish riding Whistler so much as I know a bad mistake can not only impact me greatly, but my family as well.

Agreed 100% - it really surprises me to see how many people are riding trails like Crabapple Hits where the potential for serious injury is so high.

June 3, 2014, 5:15 p.m.

I kind of feel like my time away from the park last summer made me realize that I don't have the same passion for it I once did….it's a lot of different things for sure, but I think my priorities have changed a lot, having recovered from a big dodged bullet back/neck injury my risk tolerance for regular downhilling in the park just seems to have waned. I'm sure a new bike would help remedy that, but at this point I'm totally good with bombing around the valley loam on my hardtail, building trail, and hanging out with my dog.

Stuff like this story is really sad, no one wants to die when they go out for a ride…and now a whole community will feel a huge loss. But I'm sure, or hoping, this man's passion for his sport, trails, and friends has ignited something in those he touched, something that will help create a legacy of advocates and passionate people, excited about trails and biking and the community it fosters.

June 3, 2014, 6:29 p.m.

Maybe I'm not thinking about the same spot, I don't know the precise location just speculating.

I crave the scary lines, don't want to see them go away and don't want to see people get hurt.

~~~~~~~~~~~

June 3, 2014, 10:48 p.m.

I kind of feel like my time away from the park last summer made me realize that I don't have the same passion for it I once did….it's a lot of different things for sure, but I think my priorities have changed a lot, having recovered from a big dodged bullet back/neck injury my risk tolerance for regular downhilling in the park just seems to have waned. I'm sure a new bike would help remedy that, but at this point I'm totally good with bombing around the valley loam on my hardtail, building trail, and hanging out with my dog.

Except that the level of riding and speed done on trail bikes has significantly increased in the last few years. I often think trailbiking is more dangerous because you end up wearing less protective gear and ride a bike that is less capable.

Consider the last stage in last year's Whistler EWS…

June 4, 2014, 7:29 a.m.

Except that the level of riding and speed done on trail bikes has significantly increased in the last few years. I often think trailbiking is more dangerous because you end up wearing less protective gear and ride a bike that is less capable.

Consider the last stage in last year's Whistler EWS…

last stage, in the bike park….bike park trails are significantly different than trails in the valley, no matter what you want to tell yourself…more beat up, harder packed, faster speeds. you just can't get away with as much in the bike park in my experience. took me a bunch of years to learn that lesson.

June 4, 2014, 8:46 a.m.

Wait until your 15 yo starts riding Crabapple Hits …

If that was the rock section where the tragedy occurred, I'm very surprised and would assume that it was a freak accident or there were some extra-ordinary circumstances, given all that has been reported (he was wearing proper equipment, no issue with the features etc). Unless he dropped it (which I've never even considered doing).

June 4, 2014, 9:02 a.m.

From what I understand it was the LWDH wide and open rock face in the ski run before you enter the last section in the trees.

Wonder if the gentleman let his guard down for a second on a section he thought mentally was easy.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

June 4, 2014, 11:04 a.m.

Wow, what sad news, I can't imagine what his wife and family must be going through. One minute you're on vacation having a great time, the next… yikes.

When I first heard 'rock face, lower whistler dh' I thought of this section:
![]([HTML_REMOVED]

I don't know about you guys, but I've never really liked this part. Not that it's super hard, but I find it's easy to let your speed get too high and then it just slams you into that tree section. Maybe end of the day and he's a little tired, and just comes in a little hot?

June 4, 2014, 11:23 a.m.

Oh I thought it was this one (sorry can't get embedding to work): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=213xt08LjuM[HTML_REMOVED]t=1m57s

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

June 4, 2014, 11:27 a.m.

they haven't said what rock feature it was, so pretty much everything is speculation at this point. regardless, nothing on any of those slabs has changed much in years and years and it's a shitty thing to have happen to our riding community, let alone Hood Rivers.

June 4, 2014, 12:01 p.m.

last stage, in the bike park….bike park trails are significantly different than trails in the valley, no matter what you want to tell yourself…more beat up, harder packed, faster speeds. you just can't get away with as much in the bike park in my experience. took me a bunch of years to learn that lesson.

Ok I used the bike park as an example, but there are many trails all along the S2S that provide the same level of danger as the WBP. Trail bike riding is at a level now that is on par with DH riding. Nobody should kid themselves that trail riding is safer. Your safety is dependent on how hard you push yourself and the bike.

62.8km/hr on the Fromme road speed trap section is fast enough to be dangerous if my tire blew out or if I pinged off a rock and headed for the embankment on either side.