Lower Joyride Closed Forever

July 3, 2012, 6:30 p.m.

sad to see that one go - was always a good ride and memory from when the park first opened.

but hey - there are many more new trails to enjoy so it's not all bad

Concur.

Adieu farewell, LJ !! :cry:

"I'm addicted to surfing."

July 3, 2012, 9:32 p.m.

If this is true, it would have bee really great to get some warning. Probably the most memories (good and bad) I have from over a decade in the park are from on that trail. Would have been nice to rip it up to say goodbye.

iforonewelcome.com

July 3, 2012, 11:26 p.m.

interesting…there is only 3 places with wood, the two overpasses for Crank it up and the log rides after the chair crossing, then into the bottom bit that is the merger for Lower Can Open, the two crossings are pretty bomber too, although the second can be scary if hit too fast to flat, maybe they put a counter on it and its not getting ridden enough so they will shut er down and do something new in the future….RIP if true…

mtbskierdad

July 4, 2012, 8:04 a.m.

Really sad. I didn't care much for the first half of Lower Joyride, but loved the last half of Lower Joyride. My favourite line down is Lower Whistler DH -[HTML_REMOVED] Rock City -[HTML_REMOVED] Lower Joyride. Got a rude awakening on Monday doing that line and running in to a whole bunch of debris pulled across the trail. Hopefully the Canadian Open that runs across it will be more fun and always open to ride.

For years this had been my favorite run down the lower park, and like Zedbra, remember riding this trail when the park first opened. Lower Joyride takes a high level of skill and anaerobic capacity…you knew you were riding well when you cleaned it and did it fast. One of the few trails on the mountain that didn't change much over the years. That lower, skinny roller coaster was one of the utmost frightening things around when wet, before they rebuilt it into the wider, more forgiving coaster / gap there now- and before some of the small trees on the exit of that were cleared.

RIP…hope they do something w/ the some of the space in there.

***Disclaimer: this post is in no way, shape, or form intended to insult anybody, anything, any animal, any lifeform, or non lifeform, or otherwise, of any kind.

July 4, 2012, 8:09 a.m.

Looks like WBP is slowly phasing out all the milled wood, just look at Schleyer when they ran the Pacific Race-it started back then. That stuff's slicker than puppy shit on a hard wood floor in the wet, especially at bike park speeds. Like when they put the new wood on Frenchie and I watched everyone zing off it like a conga line.
How about the run out to the Manager in the wet.

If they are phasing out all the milled, this is great news, actually. "…slicker than puppy shit on a hard wood floor…", about the best description I've heard.

***Disclaimer: this post is in no way, shape, or form intended to insult anybody, anything, any animal, any lifeform, or non lifeform, or otherwise, of any kind.

July 4, 2012, 8:17 a.m.

If they are phasing out all the milled, this is great news, actually. "…slicker than puppy shit on a hard wood floor…", about the best description I've heard.

I have no problem with removing milled lumber either, it sucks monkey balls! but LJ didn't really have that much of it.

July 4, 2012, 8:18 a.m.

interesting…there is only 3 places with wood, the two overpasses for Crank it up and the log rides after the chair crossing, then into the bottom bit that is the merger for Lower Can Open, the two crossings are pretty bomber too, although the second can be scary if hit too fast to flat, maybe they put a counter on it and its not getting ridden enough so they will shut er down and do something new in the future….RIP if true…

Devils Club has lots of wood too. I've slipped on the second bridge on the corner for no apparent reason before…

I think LJ is just getting beat and not as many people ride the technical trails as the faster flowier ones.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

July 4, 2012, 8:19 a.m.

No, but thinking of that manager exit in the wet? Bad memories. In fact, all the milled stuff in the Garbo zone can be made into planters, so far as I'm concerned.

July 4, 2012, 8:21 a.m.

I think LJ is just getting beat and not as many people ride the technical trails as the faster flowier ones.

how can it be getting beat if no one is riding it? I don't think it's really changed that much over the years, it's always been gnarly, and isn't that different than in the past.

July 4, 2012, 8:32 a.m.

how can it be getting beat if no one is riding it? I don't think it's really changed that much over the years, it's always been gnarly, and isn't that different than in the past.

ok, maybe it is beat and they just don't want to commit resources on it since that's not the type of trail most people who go to the park want to ride, and there are a lot of trails in that zone.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

July 4, 2012, 8:56 a.m.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was going because of liability reasons. I think pretty much everyone who has been on LJ has had a nasty crash there.

July 4, 2012, 9:20 a.m.

In fact, all the milled stuff in the Garbo zone can be made into planters, so far as I'm concerned.

This.

I have no problem with removing milled lumber either, it sucks monkey balls! but LJ didn't really have that much of it.

And this.

I don't think it's really changed that much over the years, it's always been gnarly, and isn't that different than in the past.

And this.

How much of it is actually closed? I hardly ever rode the bit that crosses Crank it Up, but would often cut in from Rock City, as Tim describes. Are we sure they're not just diverting it to come down the route of the Canadian Open instead? I'd be ok with that if so…

July 4, 2012, 10:12 a.m.

Oh, this is terrible news. What the hell are they doing that for? That trail was my favorite trail in the park for years, just for the challenge, gnarlyness and variety. Those big ass roller coaster drops were soo much fun! Crap.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

July 4, 2012, 11:15 a.m.

maybe someone should contact WBP and find out the reason instead of speculation. Milled wood should never be used in a mtb environment imo. Dirt will always trump wood.

:canada:

July 4, 2012, 11:17 a.m.

yeah , one of my favorite trails too . . .

to walk down :lol: