Lower Joyride Closed Forever

July 3, 2012, 10:14 a.m.

So…Trail crew is in the process of decommissioning Lower Joyride in the Whistler Bike Park.
And no one seems to know why.
My reaction to this is WTF?
An old school double black tech classic gone forever, with no replacement?
I just don't understand. Who made this decision?
All to say, that makes me sad. 'Cause it was one of the good ones.
Would love to hear people's thoughts.
Cheers.

July 3, 2012, 10:18 a.m.

i never could find my game on lower joyride. to much wood for me.

but im curious if its being reenvisioned.. or just gone ??

July 3, 2012, 10:34 a.m.

what? im sure something will take its place…
maybe even a couple of trails. its one trail and it takes up a whole lot of real estate on that side. i am choked to see it go though.

July 3, 2012, 10:54 a.m.

That's the thing. It will NOT be replaced. They are widening the Canadian Open DH course (which won't affect almost all of lower joyride) and are going to re-veg lower joyride and just eliminate it from the park. And I don't get why.
No replacement, just a permanent closure. Seems weird to me.

July 3, 2012, 11:01 a.m.

sad to see that one go - was always a good ride and memory from when the park first opened.

but hey - there are many more new trails to enjoy so it's not all bad

July 3, 2012, 11:29 a.m.

Just curious - where did you hear that lower joyride was closing? I couldn't find anything on the WBP website and the trail's still open as of today. If it is closing for good, that's a shame.

July 3, 2012, 12:34 p.m.

but hey - there are many more new trails to enjoy so it's not all bad

The more trails there are, the more the trail gnomes have to work. It makes sense to me to open a few and close one or two.

July 3, 2012, 1:41 p.m.

As I understand it they want to reduce the amount of wood work in the bike park for two reasons.

1. Safety issues when ridden in the wet
2. Maintenance the woodwork is not so durable and it is costly to maintain

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

July 3, 2012, 1:45 p.m.

Really sad. I didn't care much for the first half of Lower Joyride, but loved the last half of Lower Joyride. My favourite line down is Lower Whistler DH -[HTML_REMOVED] Rock City -[HTML_REMOVED] Lower Joyride. Got a rude awakening on Monday doing that line and running in to a whole bunch of debris pulled across the trail. Hopefully the Canadian Open that runs across it will be more fun and always open to ride.

Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!

:safrica: - :canada:

July 3, 2012, 1:58 p.m.

I thought it was a great warm up and super fun in the wet .Why cant they make a gap over the trail if the trails cross paths they should build a couple of overpass's just like on the hwy.
They never did any maintenance on that trail it was always a great run on a single crown bike.One of my favorite and most ridden runs ,that is another reason im over at Sun peaks instead.

"Looks like a Canoe with the seats kicked out of it !"

July 3, 2012, 2 p.m.

my fav old school gnar trail….RIP

July 3, 2012, 2:54 p.m.

my fav old school gnar trail….RIP

see! that damn TAP virus and it's affliction of paved trails is spreading!

we must rally and fight against this injustice people, otherwise we are doomed to a life of sidewalks.

oh the humanity!

seriously though, that's a shame if it's disappearing. joyride and crack addict are two of my fav trails in the park.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

July 3, 2012, 3:19 p.m.

seriously though, that's a shame if it's disappearing. joyride and crack addict are two of my fav trails in the park.

crack addict in the rain, wohooo scary good times…

July 3, 2012, 3:29 p.m.

Wow, loved all of Joyride. I can see how they'd want to get rid of the wood, but that trail is a classic, especially the lower rooty stuff when wet. Good times.

-- Founder of Abit Gear MTB shorts --

July 3, 2012, 4:36 p.m.

felt like a boss the first time I gapped the bridge.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.