Lower A-Line Work...

June 21, 2010, 3:33 p.m.

we hear ya guys , that four pack section will continue to be a work in progress .

and just so ya know , it ain't just the dirt we're dealing with in there . underneath those booters are two large chunks of british columbia sticking up that need to be accommodated as well as drainage issues .

and on top of that there are certain windows of time when you can work in there : too wet and the dirt becomes mud , too dry and it won't hold together . and even beyond that , it has to happen during the week and it can't affect any events .

just some things to think about . . . .

June 21, 2010, 4:15 p.m.

we hear ya guys , that four pack section will continue to be a work in progress .

and just so ya know , it ain't just the dirt we're dealing with in there . underneath those booters are two large chunks of british columbia sticking up that need to be accommodated as well as drainage issues .

and on top of that there are certain windows of time when you can work in there : too wet and the dirt becomes mud , too dry and it won't hold together . and even beyond that , it has to happen during the week and it can't affect any events .

for sure, Ian. I don't want to come across as being too critical, I know they're trying to figure it all out….a shame people were wrecking on the 4 pack, not sure why, too much speed maybe? I never felt like it was an overly dangerous section….oh well, moving on now…

June 21, 2010, 5:50 p.m.

Fair enough. I've got to say that's one of the best things about these forums. The fact that I can see the thought process that goes into the changing of trails through someone who has inside knowledge really lessens the impact and irritation factor of something like Upper Aline being changed so drastically.

Basically, thank you for the info.

June 21, 2010, 7:25 p.m.

Hey guys , the history on this section of trail quite the process. The old 2 pack was changed in order to avoid the fall line section it used to take , straight down hill filled with bed rock and no drainage . When we cut the new line we thought it would be rad to put in a 4 pack as we did not have that anywhere . Due to some large bed rock and high flow drainages the spacing was never quite right , ya people finally compensated and got used to them and then deemed them technical jumps so the really advanced riders came to love them as it mixed it up a bit. In reality they were poorly spaced jumps that you had to scrub speed on and really adjust to make. Every thing above this section is pretty high speed and straight forward , then you hit the 4 pack . People would come in way to hot on the first one go to big , send the second out of control as it was so close to the first, and they would crash into the take off of the third. Its not that there was a to many injuries its the fact the ones we had were sometimes serious and we know the spacing was the problem , not the individual jumps. The resent tune up to the second lip helped , but there were still issues, I thought we could still improve knowing the spacing issue. We planned to make three big ones that you did not need to scrub . We did not roll the first one to dumb any thing down thats just the way the spacing worked. I think the second one cold be a little shorter and that could get it dialed in to best of our ability considering to bed rock and water. I Still think the spacing could be better in a perfect world. We wanted to make the first bigger , combine the second and third and make the last one bigger. The step down step up or vice versa wold be sweet but the terrain would allow for that here.

June 22, 2010, 3:32 p.m.

Why does the last jump on lower A-Line hate me? Is it because it's the last jump and I've already started planning what I'm going to hit next? This shit is a regular occurrence for me:

June 22, 2010, 3:34 p.m.

Why does the last jump on lower A-Line hate me? Is it because it's the last jump and I've already started planning what I'm going to hit next? This shit is a regular occurrence for me:

Ha. I've got the same problem. Been lucky. I hear speed is the key, but can't seem to sack up and take that advice. I just try and keep my weight a little farther back on that one and keep to the right. Survival mode…

June 22, 2010, 3:37 p.m.

I usually brake check pretty good for that one, and still have no problem making tranny (usually hip left to right too) So many crashes there though…saw a guy getting put on a spine-board sunday.

Bicycles!

June 22, 2010, 3:53 p.m.

straight airing that last one is asking for serious trouble….its one of my favourite on the mountain actually, but I do a pretty serious far left to far right transfer on it….

June 22, 2010, 4:12 p.m.

straight airing that last one is asking for serious trouble….its one of my favourite on the mountain actually, but I do a pretty serious far left to far right transfer on it….

Exactly, you should be landing about 5 feet to the right of where you are.

-KT

"Jesus Christ, This should be an event motherfcker, Chinese downhill fcking slalom" - DO'D on the Crankworx berm busting session on the slalom course

June 22, 2010, 5:08 p.m.

Excellent.. suggestion noted!

That said, maybe I'll start selling advertising space on my ass and learn to ride that like all the time.

June 22, 2010, 10:51 p.m.

Ya that jump is best hit as a hip and you do have to break before it. The in run is very high speed, picture the elevation you just dropped. Just slow down , don t lean back , gotta keep your composure and not have anyone freaking out, kidding but just slow down and pop normal. Ideally this jump should be longer for the speed you have . You will get next run.

June 22, 2010, 11:48 p.m.

In all its glory.

https://vimeo.com/12830002

June 23, 2010, 12:16 a.m.

I love the "OOOooOOOoooOOOhhhhh…..hahahahah"

It does look like you were coming in pretty hot though. Mind you that jump still bucks me fairly often, so I'm not the best to take advice from.

June 23, 2010, 6:49 a.m.

I love the "OOOooOOOoooOOOhhhhh…..hahahahah"

It does look like you were coming in pretty hot though. Mind you that jump still bucks me fairly often, so I'm not the best to take advice from.

There was the requisite pause to see if I crapped myself before laughing at almost eating shit :)

June 23, 2010, 2:14 p.m.

Ya that jump is best hit as a hip and you do have to break before it. The in run is very high speed, picture the elevation you just dropped. Just slow down , don t lean back , gotta keep your composure and not have anyone freaking out, kidding but just slow down and pop normal. Ideally this jump should be longer for the speed you have . You will get next run.

that's okay if you wanna hit it straight, but with the speed you carry going into it, you can manage your speed better by going off the jump at an angle from left to right and land on the side hill of the landing, I have gone massive doing that and carried all my momentum into the flats. I guess for people who have raced the Aline races its a no brainer because we need all the speed we can get before the sprint to the GLC…..

mtbskierdad