Linking banked turns?

May 25, 2009, 2:49 p.m.

don't forget, they're likely pedalling out of those corners…..kenny wasn't pedalling at all…

how's about gunner

or adam

or thomas

May 25, 2009, 3:42 p.m.

Lopes Pumptrack:

"May a commune of gay, Marxist Muslim illegal immigrants use your tax dollars to open a drive-thru abortion clinic in your church."

May 25, 2009, 3:44 p.m.

/disagreement

"May a commune of gay, Marxist Muslim illegal immigrants use your tax dollars to open a drive-thru abortion clinic in your church."

May 25, 2009, 3:46 p.m.

fair enough

May 25, 2009, 7:19 p.m.

Look at Brian's feet. I'm sure Kenny can rip but Lopes is considered one of the best corner guys in biking.

You don't keep your foot down for long. Just enough to push so the majority of your weight is on your outside foot till you reach the turn apex.

In tight back to back berms feet level is better, you'll notice those are long berms, so foot down equals better traction on longer berms, but feet relatively even on tight berms, (ala the new ones at the bottom of HOD, and Ninja Cougar) provide a stable platform to control the quick side to side movement…..

mtbskierdad

May 25, 2009, 7:24 p.m.

You can still rail a berm no matter what the hell is going on with your feet. There is a better way and that's having both feet level, weighting the outside foot. Sometimes throwing the outside leg down and weighting it heavily is good, like for off cambers where you really need to dig, but still you're better off keeping your feet level, outside foot leading.

Common sense no?

May 25, 2009, 9:03 p.m.

good advice here so far…. as for the foot argument: I think its just best to leave it at the fact that every corner is different, and different riders find what works best for them, foot down or level, etc. Another thing I find that helps is to really lean the bike with the bars, that is get your weight over the front, get low and push the inside bar down towards the ground… helps to get some good lean in the corners. Also, I try and drop my inside knee towards the ground.. I dont know why but I find that this helps.

As far as linking corners go.. try and get some quick movements down on pavement or even dirt/gravel roads is better. Just work on switching up the position from one direction to the other… I find this helps a lot. If you can get some good turns going on flat and loose terrain, then berms are easy.

I have really been focussing on my cornering technique and I have noticed a big improvement in my riding, being able to hit corners faster and carry more speed exiting.

it's hard to face the problem when the problem is your face

May 25, 2009, 9:41 p.m.

I think that's what I was alluding too, that in tight linked corners, more often than not, your feet will be fairly level….but yes, depending on the corner I will do very different things with positioning….

May 26, 2009, 12:13 p.m.

You can still rail a berm no matter what the hell is going on with your feet. There is a better way and that's having both feet level, weighting the outside foot. Sometimes throwing the outside leg down and weighting it heavily is good, like for off cambers where you really need to dig, but still you're better off keeping your feet level, outside foot leading.

Common sense no?

I suppose that if you spent the majority of your time on a Moto that may feel more natural. ;)

May 26, 2009, 10:34 p.m.

Good tips so far. Keep them coming. I think a little pavement training is in order. I'll set up some pilons to S flat turn on. No pump tracks near my part of suburbia.

May 26, 2009, 10:58 p.m.

there is only 2 pics of people leading with their outside foot…

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

May 26, 2009, 11:12 p.m.

Another critical point, look at every riders eyes. They are all looking at the exit of the corner, or as far ahead as possible. As you go through the berm, be thinking about the next one. Just like any section of trail, the farther ahead you're looking, the better your reaction. It feels slower but its actually coming faster, etc.

May 27, 2009, 8:41 a.m.

Another critical point, look at every riders eyes. They are all looking at the exit of the corner, or as far ahead as possible. As you go through the berm, be thinking about the next one. Just like any section of trail, the farther ahead you're looking, the better your reaction. It feels slower but its actually coming faster, etc.

yup, or beyond to the next corner….I've only been riding the pumptrack about 8 times or so, but I've noticed HUGE improvements in my all around riding, yes, even xc….the first few times I wasn't looking nearly far ahead enough and felt behind in my cornering, now I keep looking through the corner and I'm carrying more speed and flowing a lot smooother. I've also noticed my trail riding as improved a lot, same principles and it helps a lot….

May 27, 2009, 9:59 a.m.

The best advice I ever got was from Brian O at a bmx skills session, "treat berms like you pump a rythym section", as for pedal placement i believe that is personal, in a BMX race pedal pedal pedal at whistler pump the berms you should exit faster than you enter (if you do it right). Pump tracks are an awesome way to build your skills especially on a 20" BMX

Just my 2 cents.

May 27, 2009, 10:20 a.m.

as for pedal placement i believe that is personal,

Just my 2 cents.

Leave it to the old guy to be the voice of reason.