Linking banked turns?

May 24, 2009, 3:48 p.m.

Looking for some pointers on how to rail and link turns together. For example, trails like Karate Monkey and the banked berms exiting out near the chairlift lineup.

I'm usually okay for the first berm, but want to maintain my speed and rail successive berms.

I try to keep my head up and scan into the exit of the turn and have my weight over the center/front of the bike. I occasionally drag my rear brake and am trying to avoid this.

Pointers?

May 24, 2009, 5:08 p.m.

Look where you want to go, not where you are (your head weighs a bunch)
Turn with your hips - point them at where you want to be.
Remember that the next turn is coming up and think about it before you get there.

These help me, hope they can help you.

May 24, 2009, 5:20 p.m.

I occasionally drag my rear brake and am trying to avoid this.

There's your answer.

You shouldn't have to brake in a berm, that's why the berm was made in the first place, so you could hold yer speed. If you pump through the apex of the berm you'll be flyin' by the exit.

Take your chain off for a day and try to go faster each run. You'll be finding how to pump off everything to gain speed.

May 24, 2009, 6:05 p.m.

yea chainless really forces u to be efficient and think about were ur using energy for no reason..

having no driveline def. makes for some good practising..plus its super stealthy silent..hahha…

May 24, 2009, 7:46 p.m.

pump/load your suspension, I mean really really pump into the turn.
Took ahead and not at your tire, and don't brake.

May 25, 2009, 10:37 a.m.

ride pumptracks

http://www.whistlermountainbike.com
http://www.motionmtb.com/

May 25, 2009, 10:38 a.m.

ride pumptracks

exactly what I was going to write!

May 25, 2009, 11:04 a.m.

exactly what I was going to write!

Yeah, me too. Learning to ride a pump track really helps trail riding in many ways.

May 25, 2009, 11:42 a.m.

ride pumptracks

hey is there a pump track in the valley near nita lake or something cos i could see one from the sea to sky on the way in

May 25, 2009, 12:02 p.m.

hey is there a pump track in the valley near nita lake or something cos i could see one from the sea to sky on the way in

no….

kenny last week….faaaaaaast

May 25, 2009, 12:18 p.m.

Do you ski?

When you're going through the berm, you should optimumly have your weight on your outside peddle, which should be in the down position. Once you reach the apex of the turn start to move that weight over to the other foot so that when you reach the apex of the next burm you should have your weight on the outside foot for that turn.

Imagine a ball that represents your weight. This ball travels from one foot to the other by going up your leg through your pelvis and down the other side. This ball should never stop moving but it should be at your foot when you reach the apex of the burm. When you are between turns the ball should be dead center (you're center of balance).

This is what they teach you for skiing and I found that it transfers really good to the bike for quick turns. The transition of weight may have to be quick but it needs to be smooth.

EDIT

If you need to brake do it before you enter a turn and stay off the brakes through the turn.

"May a commune of gay, Marxist Muslim illegal immigrants use your tax dollars to open a drive-thru abortion clinic in your church."

May 25, 2009, 1:17 p.m.

no….

kenny last week….faaaaaaast

then what the hell was that little track I saw off the side of the sea to sky, on the other side of the bog?

May 25, 2009, 1:51 p.m.

Do you ski?

When you're going through the berm, you should optimumly have your weight on your outside peddle, which should be in the down position. Once you reach the apex of the turn start to move that weight over to the other foot so that when you reach the apex of the next burm you should have your weight on the outside foot for that turn.

Imagine a ball that represents your weight. This ball travels from one foot to the other by going up your leg through your pelvis and down the other side. This ball should never stop moving but it should be at your foot when you reach the apex of the burm. When you are between turns the ball should be dead center (you're center of balance).

This is what they teach you for skiing and I found that it transfers really good to the bike for quick turns. The transition of weight may have to be quick but it needs to be smooth.

EDIT

If you need to brake do it before you enter a turn and stay off the brakes through the turn.

Feet should be level and push throught the berms, the feet at 3-9, 6-12 position is good for flat turns but staying level is smoother and easier….look at Kenny's feet….^

mtbskierdad

May 25, 2009, 2:06 p.m.

then what the hell was that little track I saw off the side of the sea to sky, on the other side of the bog?

nothing to see here….move along

May 25, 2009, 2:43 p.m.

Feet should be level and push throught the berms, the feet at 3-9, 6-12 position is good for flat turns but staying level is smoother and easier….look at Kenny's feet….^

Look at Brian's feet. I'm sure Kenny can rip but Lopes is considered one of the best corner guys in biking.

Minaar

You don't keep your foot down for long. Just enough to push so the majority of your weight is on your outside foot till you reach the turn apex.

"May a commune of gay, Marxist Muslim illegal immigrants use your tax dollars to open a drive-thru abortion clinic in your church."