Linking banked turns?

May 27, 2009, 1:27 p.m.

dude go check out a pumptrack near you… this is the best berm school I ever tested…

WE DESIGN I WE BUILD = YOU ENJOY

May 28, 2009, 8:17 p.m.

Feet should be level and push throught the berms, the feet at 3-9, 6-12 position is good for flat turns but staying level is smoother and easier….look at Kenny's feet….^

I think it was in Lopes book, he mentioned that with the outside foot down (12-6)
you don't have as much ability to correct your balance in a front/back way so you
put a lot force on your arms to control front/back instead of letting them push
down and steer. So in a bombed out brake rutted berm/turn not so good. He also
mentioned one time it was good to put the outside down, was if it was really loose
and you needed to put your inside foot out for counter balance.

Also, putting your outside foot down adds one more thing for you to do when
linking turns fast, so it can be distracting and while either pedaling forward or
backwards 180 degrees you are adding more for your body to counteract as
far as balance is concerned.

Having your pedals flat allows you to keep better control over the bike under
you and less to do when doing a berm/berm in fast sequence.

The pros are pros, so what might screw us up won't them. For them the added
drop in center of gravity outweighs the negative of pedal down.

(did I make sense?)

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

May 28, 2009, 9:41 p.m.

I think it was in Lopes book, he mentioned that with the outside foot down (12-6)
you don't have as much ability to correct your balance in a front/back way so you
put a lot force on your arms to control front/back instead of letting them push
down and steer. So in a bombed out brake rutted berm/turn not so good.

I only keep my feet in the 6-12 for a micro second and push out while leveling my feet.

Imagine a ball that represents your weight. This ball travels from one foot to the other by going up your leg through your pelvis and down the other side. This ball should never stop moving but it should be at your foot when you reach the apex of the burm. When you are between turns the ball should be dead center (you're center of balance).

And your right. In a bombed out brake rutted berm/turn it is not so good. Definately a situational deal, but I know what works for me and it has gotten me results.

He also
mentioned one time it was good to put the outside down, was if it was really loose
and you needed to put your inside foot out for counter balance.

Also, putting your outside foot down adds one more thing for you to do when
linking turns fast, so it can be distracting and while either pedaling forward or
backwards 180 degrees you are adding more for your body to counteract as
far as balance is concerned.

Only need a 90* correction

"May a commune of gay, Marxist Muslim illegal immigrants use your tax dollars to open a drive-thru abortion clinic in your church."

May 29, 2009, 7:40 a.m.

Only need a 90* correction

I guess you're not understanding the statement.

If you are in a right hand bank and you're doing the 12-6 o'clock thing. Then
your left foot will be in the 6 or down position. If you're linking turns and you're
continuing with the 12-6 thing, then you're going to put your right foot down for
the left hand bank. When doing that, you will have to move your pedals 180 degrees
either forward or backward no? I spent the last 6 months going through angles
tangents, soh cah toa , so I'm pretty sure it's 180 not 90. ;) ;)

May 29, 2009, 7:45 a.m.

tangents, soh cah toa , so I'm pretty sure it's 180 not 90. ;) ;)

I stand corrected ;)

"May a commune of gay, Marxist Muslim illegal immigrants use your tax dollars to open a drive-thru abortion clinic in your church."

May 29, 2009, 9:35 a.m.

the trail crew guys have just constructed a great place to practice this skill in the learning area adjacent to the CLC ( top of a-line ).

they excavated these perfect 4-5 meter radius arcs about i foot deep in very nice soil on just the right grade .

i think you'll find them useful .

May 29, 2009, 9:51 a.m.

I suppose that if you spent the majority of your time on a Moto that may feel more natural. ;)

No, that would be the last decade of practicing it on a mountain bike. ;)

May 29, 2009, 10:09 a.m.

the trail crew guys have just constructed a great place to practice this skill in the learning area adjacent to the CLC ( top of a-line ).

they excavated these perfect 4-5 meter radius arcs about i foot deep in very nice soil on just the right grade .

i think you'll find them useful .

Is that where the cohen jump thing was that one year?

oh, and SWEEET!

May 29, 2009, 10:11 a.m.

below that , like right at the top of a-line in the grassy area right under the gondola lift line .

it is about 6-8 turns built specifically for this skill .

July 2, 2009, 1:29 p.m.

Thank you very much. It looks deceptively easy until you find yourself off the bermed track. Good times though.

below that , like right at the top of a-line in the grassy area right under the gondola lift line .

it is about 6-8 turns built specifically for this skill .

July 2, 2009, 1:37 p.m.

I'm making good progress. I have tried cornering with cranks at a level position and having the outside foot down position. Both techniques seem to have varying levels of success based on the level of traction and the size/type of the berm.

So far the best advice has been to go for broke. At a higher cornering speed you are forced to compress hard into the berm or flip over. Ripping back to back to back berms is an amazing feeling.

Go Ninja Cougar.

July 2, 2009, 2:28 p.m.

Good on ya for experimenting. Not an easy thing to do ( in any sport )but definately will get you results

July 2, 2009, 4:09 p.m.

that pumptrack is dope. too bad I didn't have the sutable bike

July 2, 2009, 10:20 p.m.

three simple things to think about every corner. brake, look, lean
brake- brake before the corner
look- look far ahead and where you want to go
lean- lean that bike and put your hips to the outside while pointing your belly button to the exit.

personally i keep my pedals level for multiple quick berms. it allows me to pump them and quickly be ready for the next one and it also makes me feel like i can really lean the bike and rail the corner. For the big long/loose or off camber corners I might drop a pedal down. Example being up on garbonzo and some of those fast big road corners. outside pedal down and have at it.

www.knollybikes.com

:canada: