Khyber Questions

Sept. 4, 2015, 5:54 a.m.

I rode TOTW then Khyber two weeks ago when I was still in Whistler - then both parts of Babylon and then the black trail which connects roughly to Creekside. That was a lot of fun, BUT:

I managed to enjoy most parts of Babylon on my 26" Enduro, although some of it was quite steep. But does anyone actually RIDE the rock face with the climbing rope and the weird woodwork drop further down, which lets you land directly into a flattish bermed sharp corner?

I had to climb/scramble/stumble down these two sections - it was very, very dry and dusty though, too dry. So I guess a bit of rain and then some sun again might be ideal for these trails.

I really couldn´t figure out how these two sections work. I´d have great respect for every rider who rides Babylon COMPLETE!

I did enjoy Microclimate in the rain though, traction was pretty good. When I rode it again in super dry conditions it was almost harder, because of all the dust.

What I really loved as well was Comfortably Numb. I think that´d be a great trail for eager bike teenagers as well. You could take the shortcut. And LOTS of clifbars and water :D

Sept. 4, 2015, 9:57 a.m.

I rode TOTW then Khyber two weeks ago when I was still in Whistler - then both parts of Babylon and then the black trail which connects roughly to Creekside. That was a lot of fun, BUT:

I managed to enjoy most parts of Babylon on my 26" Enduro, although some of it was quite steep. But does anyone actually RIDE the rock face with the climbing rope and the weird woodwork drop further down, which lets you land directly into a flattish bermed sharp corner?

I had to climb/scramble/stumble down these two sections - it was very, very dry and dusty though, too dry. So I guess a bit of rain and then some sun again might be ideal for these trails.

I really couldn´t figure out how these two sections work. I´d have great respect for every rider who rides Babylon COMPLETE!

I did enjoy Microclimate in the rain though, traction was pretty good. When I rode it again in super dry conditions it was almost harder, because of all the dust.

What I really loved as well was Comfortably Numb. I think that´d be a great trail for eager bike teenagers as well. You could take the shortcut. And LOTS of clifbars and water :D

There was a good video of someone from a Chromag Friday ride riding it a few years back.

Sept. 4, 2015, 11:01 a.m.

Out of curiosity, what do you have in your packs if not tools and tubes? I only ask because you mention bike park mentality, and to me that basically means ride without a pack…

Also, as a tip for future similar situations, all you need is a pump. Pry the tire off the bead with your hands ( you're a man, right?) Then tie a knot in the tube to seal off the part with the hole in it. Stuff it back in, inflate, go home.

I didn't have a pack (or I would have had said items), the friend I drove up with was wearing their pack and I assumed they had the usual kit in it but for some reason they only had food, water and a jacket. We met up with the rest of the group in the park and it was a similar situation with them. Needless to say we felt like idiots when this fact was discovered.

Good to know on the knot, never done that before but makes sense in a pinch…

Sept. 4, 2015, 11:58 p.m.

Rode totw today to Kyber to middle of nowhere /kashmire to kush to BC trail.

Id advise to not ride when its this wet it was super slick and off camber but more than that you couldnt keep any speed so it made all the traversing and mild climbing seem like a real slog . Sick trails i bet in the dry for sure . Lower kush had some pretty rowdy steep muddy shoots with slick roots everywhere it was a handful today lol.

Sept. 5, 2015, 10:24 a.m.

Id advise to not ride when its this wet it was super slick and off camber but more than that you couldnt keep any speed so it made all the traversing and mild climbing seem like a real slog . Sick trails i bet in the dry for sure . Lower kush had some pretty rowdy steep muddy shoots with slick roots everywhere it was a handful today lol.

told ya…. ;)

Sept. 5, 2015, 9:46 p.m.

Sounds like I made the right decision to pass it up today - thanks again for everyone's input.

Rode the park instead - hero dirt, grippy trails, but the lines were long. Busiest day I've been up for this year.