Is Whistler A Really Good Workout?

Aug. 19, 2005, 5:42 p.m.

Or just a really good pounding on the body? When i come home from a day of riding, I am dead beat…but Im not so sure its actually doing me any good.

Aug. 19, 2005, 6:10 p.m.

I find the mountain more anaerobic than aerobic. Its a workout, but not great for loosing weight but definately builds the upper and lower body.

Aug. 19, 2005, 6:17 p.m.

I find the mountain more anaerobic than aerobic. Its a workout, but not great for loosing weight but definately builds the upper and lower body.

shame, didnt think so.

Aug. 19, 2005, 6:41 p.m.

its def good for your cardio (lung's/endurance)…

but in order to gain max benefit u neeed to continue to ride when your gettin tired and winded…

try riding from the top of Garbo to the village without stopping…great training for every part of riding….

Aug. 19, 2005, 8:50 p.m.

i find it beats me up more than anything, only excercise i get is on the fingers. i agree with ian though, but i never go from top to bot w/o stop

Aug. 20, 2005, 12:30 a.m.

I love not stopping, you get such a flow going and its such a good workout for yourself. You are only working and improving your cardio and muscles when you feel like you have worked too much.

Hoots Gear/Dizzy Cycles/Kenda USA/eNVy

Bonz Lever for __sale__ for Hayes & Hayes 8" adapter for Boxxer

Aug. 20, 2005, 6:31 p.m.

try doing top to bottom runs on garb, multiple ones.

// What's Good // F U N E R A L // Ultramontane // DEEP SIX //

Aug. 20, 2005, 8:54 p.m.

try doing top to bottom runs on garb, multiple ones.

yeah, i did 5 different combo's of runs, top to village this afternoon/evening….I feel like I got a serious work out….

Aug. 20, 2005, 10:49 p.m.

After 78 days last year, I felt a little bigger in the arms, tighter in the abs and more solid all around, I feel even better lately with day 54 tomorrow…..

mtbskierdad

Aug. 20, 2005, 11:04 p.m.

It definately makes you stronger/more fit. I had no problems with my arms/hands being sore but my legs are sore as fuck haha.

Aug. 21, 2005, 4:59 p.m.

I did the gearjammer this weekend on 2 days notice, and I really thought that my 12 days of whistler (I feel a song coming on) would have helped me. But I was in crappy aerobic shape, and technical xc riding was way harder on my hands, arms and shoulders than whistler. I got spanked. Whistler is not good exercise.

welcome to the bottom of my post.

Aug. 21, 2005, 5:16 p.m.

I did the gearjammer this weekend on 2 days notice, and I really thought that my 12 days of whistler (I feel a song coming on) would have helped me. But I was in crappy aerobic shape, and technical xc riding was way harder on my hands, arms and shoulders than whistler. I got spanked. Whistler is not good exercise.

Whistler is great exercise. It won't build cardio like XC riding will, but it does a buttload more for your core muscles and upper body. If you are a lazy sloth and coast everything at Whistler then you won't get as much out of it as your buddies who are pinning it, not stopping for breaks every minute and a half, and who ride trails pushing themselves and their bike handling skills.

Its about how you ride it. If you go hard, it is an incredible workout. If you don't agree, let's hook up for a top-to-bottom and see if you are breathing hard at the bottom, and if you have to stop.

People who ride their frequently can attest to this…Go with a friend who has not been up yet and spend the day riding with them. They will be trashed and ready for the patio by 2, and you'll be waiting for extended play to start!

Aug. 21, 2005, 5:59 p.m.

If you ride flat out it's definitely a good workout but my hands were maimed after 12 days (not straight) of riding up there. No blisters, they just felt like ground beef. The pain lasted for a good two weeks after I left.

Aug. 21, 2005, 7:37 p.m.

I find its more mental fatigue.

I have only so many 'oh shits' in me for a day!

the only soreness I get are the callouses on my hands, the general fatigue is easily fixed with a beer.

I get tired faster the hotter the day.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Aug. 21, 2005, 9:17 p.m.

the general fatigue is easily fixed with a beer.

I get tired faster the hotter the day.

Now you are speaking my language! :woot: :beer: