I miss it...

Nov. 9, 2006, 2:37 p.m.

did someone mention something about a high paying job at intrawest ?

Nov. 9, 2006, 4:55 p.m.

did someone mention something about a high paying job at intrawest ?

I've heard dog trainers and patrollers make millions. Doesn't Mr BF drive a Ferrari?

Nov. 9, 2006, 7:10 p.m.

i gotta go with bcbud on this one……….

too many people view mountain resort life as a fad, or a phase in their lives.

live it.

how many years now bcbud?
total………….including those far east resorts like banff and the lake?

mountain resorts… …. .people go to 16 years of school, to get a job, to afford to come for holidays, where i live and work 3 or 4 days a week.

and the funniest is the local kids who are soooo torked by societies 'values', that they leave the town where they were born and raised, you know, their HOME, to go the the big smoke to get a job to afford to come to whistler for 2 weeks of holidays with the friends/young family.

north american values and view on what life is, or is not, is pretty sketch…………..

the mountain life is in most of us………..

try it
like it
live it

and hey , the canadian mountain resorts should be staffed by canadians who are living the mountain life….

blah blah blah…….

I been out in the west since '97 at Lake Louise, moved here in '99 hoping to get better at skiing and be all pro and sponsored and shit, anyway small fish in huge pond, and just skied, explored and rippped pow, was racing MTB in Ontario and fell in love with the diversity of the trails here and then the bike park opened, got way better and riding and don't wanna leave, have a good job in a big hotel, a good girl, nice place, nice bike and skiis, don't need a car really, walk to work, life is good…….

mtbskierdad

Nov. 9, 2006, 7:19 p.m.

Realistically how expensive is it to live in whistler? Is there lots of job opportunities?

Nov. 9, 2006, 7:24 p.m.

Shit loads of service jobs, servers, housekeeping, that kind of thing, retail too, 5 major hotels, Fairmont, Four Seasons, Westin, Hilton, and Best Western, www.piquenewsmagazine.com for jobs, its just there ain't no place relatively inexpensive to live, except Staff Housing. But they are working on it…..

mtbskierdad

Nov. 9, 2006, 7:28 p.m.

What about for skilled tradesperson?

Nov. 9, 2006, 7:41 p.m.

carpenters to be exact?

Nov. 9, 2006, 7:51 p.m.

tons of houses will be going up in whistler for sure and in my opinion if you have noticed the theme is to have a wooden style house so carpentry would probably be huge

Nov. 9, 2006, 7:51 p.m.

I'll have to consider for spring i think

Nov. 9, 2006, 7:55 p.m.

There are many jobs for skilled carpentry, foundation, framing and a LOT of finishing contracts (providing you have the experience and good quality tools to do the job).

I'm speaking from experience in the last 2 years.

The growth is nice. Should be sustainable at least until a few years after the Olympics has past.

Almost every single city where the Olympics has been held, the growth usually comes after and not before like most people assume.

This is a fact from population/real estate stats.

Unless you have something concrete holding you down (family/massive financial obligations), then show up and start to work. :)

Hope you think about it.

There really is no other place like Whistler. It's unique. :)

… good.. bad.. I'm the guy with the gun.

Nov. 9, 2006, 8:13 p.m.

I moved to whistler for my summer for about 4 months and i also miss the crooked shevels at IGA cause I worked there and as sucky as the job was I miss all the cool people i worked with and all the regular costumers that never expected cause they knew what a lazy bunch of bastards we were. I miss the bike park and going to Tap's for a beer after a good day on the mountain. Getting so drunk on pleaople's parties that you don't even know who's birthday your celebrating. I'm gonna miss all that. Now I'm back and uni and studying suck some seriou nuts. But ya theres alway next year.

:werd: :fruit:

Nov. 10, 2006, 9:09 a.m.

This thread has completely pissed me off. I've been out of Whistler for god maybe 7-8yrs now and was only slightly over it and now…..THIS. God damn you people. Hopefully I can get a job with one of them architects up there when I'm through with school. That's a few years off now though. Uuugh..For fucks sake.

Nov. 11, 2006, 1:58 p.m.

I've found whistler living not to be terribly expensive. If you find an affordable place to rent, and don't drink too much, you're fine. The thing is that you find you want to have a nice bike and nice skis/board, and nice gear. Gear will keep your costs up!

Right now, I'm paying 400 for a room in a house in Winnipeg. I have all appliances, and they're new, and the place is nice.

In the summer in Whistler, I paid 475. We didn't have a washer/dryer or dishwasher, and our house wasn't as nice, but I was a 4 minute ride to the lifts. In my opinion, it was definitely worth the trade-off. Plus, in Whistler the pay rate is better, for the same job.

So, in Winnipeg I pay 400 for rent and will most likely get a job that will pay 3-4 dollars less an hour than I was paid in Whistler.

In Whislter, I paid 475 and was paid a good wage, and could ride to the lifts.

My vote is for whistler! It seems more worth the money.

However, maybe I'm biased because I haven't quite settled into Winnipeg, and everything is still foreign to me.

But…May comes quickly! I'll be back!

[crankworx announcer "Brad" voice] WHHHHHISSSSSTLLLLER!!!!!! [/crankworx announcer "Brad" voice]

Nov. 23, 2006, 5:40 p.m.

i miss not bein able to ride the hill and seein how easy it was to board the bike trails,
-i miss havin days off to ride
-pissin the guys off at rentals tellin guests they're riding mens bikes not mediums or vice versa for the larges
-crank it up wallrides and the mini step down
-monkey hands and karate monkey
-no joke
-beers oin the patio at longhorn after the last ride of the season have a cheers with richie
- missin the guys and gals i worked with all summer on the lifts wishin i could just unload more bikes and not people on skiis
and to many more to think about i just want winter to fly away and get some summer going again

here to ride but i'm to busy building

Nov. 23, 2006, 9:43 p.m.

Is it difficult to get on with working at the resort. Say being a liftie?

I've been thinking since last summer about making the move.

Marty's Mountain Cycle