I feel like I've been bludgeoned...

Aug. 17, 2008, 10:23 a.m.

by a advertising sledgehammer, and I'm pretty much resenting any and all sponsors that were mentioned every other word last night…….just cause you say it thousands of times doesn't make me want to buy any of it any more……a very cool bike event, done so far over the top it becomes a joke…….I'm not a mindless sheep, don't treat me like one.

to the riders, thanks for a great show…….now where'd I put my monster kokanee?

Aug. 17, 2008, 11:22 a.m.

I would tend to agree about the constant bludgeoning… but the target audience has been convinced that wearing their sister's jeans is a good idea, so repetition might be an effective marketing tool.

Aug. 17, 2008, 11:49 a.m.

Hey, it keeps the PinkBikers off the trails….

Aug. 17, 2008, 11:54 a.m.

this is more for the none bikers then us "real" riders, most people haven't a clue what mountain biking is all about, remember the company running the production, they put on the X Games and other action sport shows where this is fairly common….a good show with a hefty check for the winners….

mtbskierdad

Aug. 17, 2008, 11:57 a.m.

Maybe its where I was located or my automatic aversion to the crankworx commentator, but I didn't hear squat. I had a great view, nice tv to watch the upper stuff and some good conversation at a table I was at. No need to listen to some loud mouth on the pa system :)

Aug. 17, 2008, 1:37 p.m.

by a advertising sledgehammer, and I'm pretty much resenting any and all sponsors that were mentioned every other word last night…….just cause you say it thousands of times doesn't make me want to buy any of it any more……a very cool bike event, done so far over the top it becomes a joke…….I'm not a mindless sheep, don't treat me like one.

to the riders, thanks for a great show…….now where'd I put my monster kokanee?

Um, without sponsors there's no cash for the event and the reason sponsors give cash for the event is so they get visibility.

Aug. 17, 2008, 4:39 p.m.

Agree with Carbunkle. You've got to take the bad with the good. Those sponsors make the event what it is. Without them I doubt you'd even see a jumbotron. Not that I like the constant barrage of advertising, but I can understand why it's there. That makes it okay with me.

Aug. 17, 2008, 7:24 p.m.

It's huge event that costs a ton of money to produce and it won't happen without sponsors. In return they need to promote their product. It won't help to bash two of the biggest sponsors publicaly, although I doubt that they read or care what is said here. Seems like it was a great event, bummed I missed it, but props to the hard working organizers and to all of the riders.

TomPro

Aug. 17, 2008, 7:50 p.m.

I know it's the sponsorship that drives the coverages, cash payout, etc…and that's cool, it's just frustrating that it has to be so garish and obnoxious….and the amount of garbage and trash and general shit everywhere is really disappointing, definitely an eyesore…..the mess people left on the hill at the end of the night was pretty disgusting….

Aug. 17, 2008, 9:14 p.m.

….and the amount of garbage and trash and general shit everywhere is really disappointing, definitely an eyesore…..the mess people left on the hill at the end of the night was pretty disgusting….

Yeah, it's disgusting, but it will get cleaned…Think of all the good that this event does for Whistler and mountain biking in general. I personally don't feel the need to focus on the negative when I know how much effort goes into this event.

TomPro

Aug. 17, 2008, 9:42 p.m.

CONSUME.

it's fast food mountain biking. you can't expect anything else.

Aug. 17, 2008, 10:55 p.m.

CONSUME.

it's fast food mountain biking. you can't expect anything else.

Absolutely.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Aug. 17, 2008, 11:54 p.m.

Yeah, it's disgusting, but it will get cleaned…Think of all the good that this event does for Whistler and mountain biking in general. I personally don't feel the need to focus on the negative when I know how much effort goes into this event.

i agree. i was only there for 3 of the days, but the vibe was pretty amazing, the crowds for slopestyle were frackin HUGE and the cdn open was pretty sick to watch. i can only imagine the number of volunteers it takes to pull off an event like this.

Aug. 18, 2008, 7:46 a.m.

yeah, the comps were all awesome, riders were killing it, I really enjoyed watching all the racing, comps….just wish we could have a large event that didn't generate so much unnessessary trash…. :)