Heard something... pedaling up

Oct. 16, 2006, 12:01 a.m.

WB did used to have xc, non-lift accessed riding just as few years ago, correct? if so, where were those trails and could one still ride them during the summer as long as they act responsibly without causing any trouble?

I think you're imagining xc trails on Whistler. They may have been referring to trails in the valley. As for the pictures, they used to be fond of using scenic photos taken from up top, even though the bikers wouldn't actually be on real trails.

Oct. 16, 2006, 12:38 p.m.

I think you're imagining xc trails on Whistler. They may have been referring to trails in the valley. As for the pictures, they used to be fond of using scenic photos taken from up top, even though the bikers wouldn't actually be on real trails.

well really they weren't trails, actually just fireroads running along the glaciers. it didn't look tech or anything just like a really beautiful high alpine ride. could have been set up for the photo though…

Oct. 16, 2006, 10:14 p.m.

You may assume that what happens with in the confines of Whistler-Blackcomb is their business (regardless of whether they own or lease the land)…..as a result, they will likely be interested in and have an opinion on people having access to or otherwise using this land at any time of the year (unless they directly sanction it…..ie. if you've purchase a lift ticket). If you are using roads that they have built to access trails that they have made and maintain, you can guess that they will have something to say about you being there.

"Walk a mile in another man's shoes. Then, you'll be a mile away from him and have his shoes."

http://www.valleyvetservices.com
www.vmta.ca

Oct. 16, 2006, 10:46 p.m.

dude id totally walk an hour in november to go shred a-line once.

son of a stromatolite !

Oct. 17, 2006, 12:32 a.m.

Catch is that if you fall, WBP's not liable.

why is this a "CATCH"? are u saying that u want WBP to be liable? makes no sense to me.

:high: :.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.: :high:

Oct. 17, 2006, 9:01 a.m.

Yah its true, you cant go up or the WBP will hunt you down. You could probably hike up and just do the Boneyard course but thats probably it.

I tried the same thing at Sun Peaks and they caught me.

"Jumps aren't dangerous by themselves… confidence, now thats dangerous"

Oct. 17, 2006, 9:52 p.m.

well really they weren't trails, actually just fireroads running along the glaciers. it didn't look tech or anything just like a really beautiful high alpine ride. could have been set up for the photo though…

They used to (and still might) do tours from the Roundhouse down via various mountain roads. It wasn't the most exciting terrain to ride, but the views were nice. Since Garbo opened, the tours from the Roundhouse aren't quite as unique anymore. There are now tours that go up the Peak chair, following various roads down.

Oct. 18, 2006, 8:31 a.m.

I know in Colorado they lease the land from the US forest service, so you are allowed to skin up any of the ski trails in the winter and ski whatever you want. So I woudent think there would be any problem with hiking up the bike park with your bike. So long as your not hurting any thing/one and staying out of the way of people working up there.

www.powderandpark.com - My ski review site

Oct. 18, 2006, 10:42 a.m.

I went up yesterday early morning.

Just rode/walked up the fire road and went down lower A-line.

It's rough but doable and I am not recommending this to anyone.

Not a single person in sight. :)

… good.. bad.. I'm the guy with the gun.

Oct. 18, 2006, 10:49 a.m.

I'm sure it differs depending on who you come accross during your uphill trip. A couple of snowmakers or electrical maintenance dudes probably won't say shit and just wave at you on your way. Mountain Safety managers or high up Patrol guys on the other hand might not be quite as into it.

I can see it from their point though. If you eat shit and break your neck, no matter how good your intentions are, you may (obviously we would all say "not me!") go looking for some money or someone to blame. WB is a nice easy target with deep pockets. You could argue "they never should have let me on those trails when they're closed" and get a big settlement.$$$

I remember the incident that Stacy was talking about before. The guy's fork snapped while he was poaching after season runs and he fucked himself up real bad. A bunch of boys from the Longhorn went up to rescue him which was damn lucky since there's no patrol in November. Disapointed to hear that he's suing. Hopefully he keeps it focused on Marz and doesn't go after the Bike Park too. ( not that he's right suing Marz either) but suing the bike park could really fuck things up for all of us.
Enough of this rant.

Oct. 19, 2006, 8:45 a.m.

Disapointed to hear that he's suing. Hopefully he keeps it focused on Marz and doesn't go after the Bike Park too. ( not that he's right suing Marz either) but suing the bike park could really fuck things up for all of us.
Enough of this rant.

Agreed

… good.. bad.. I'm the guy with the gun.