Heard something... pedaling up

Oct. 14, 2006, 10:17 p.m.

Today on the way to woodlot my friend told me that its legal to pedal up whistler and than come down for free. Catch is that if you fall, WBP's not liable. Is this true, or was i misinformed ?

Oct. 14, 2006, 10:20 p.m.

Saw someone pedaling up today….it used to be kosher but not sure these days….

mtbskierdad

Oct. 14, 2006, 10:22 p.m.

one dumb move…………

and it could be wrecked for all.

so stacy, what you're saying is that you'd never pedal up whistler?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 14, 2006, 10:23 p.m.

Id never do it, im just wondering if he was telling the truth. So apparantly he is ? The main reason i go to whistler is for the lift, i hate that 50 minute "hike and bike" stuff. At some places its worth it (woodlot/fromme) but others (whistler) doesnt seem to be. I wouldnt walk my bike for like half an hour to go down like A line :lol:

Oct. 14, 2006, 10:28 p.m.

you could say that.

hee hee hee…………

lol - you're such a cool shit stacy. one of these days i gotta trail you down a-line

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 14, 2006, 10:39 p.m.

I remember on WB's old website they talked about having both dh and xc riding and there were pictures from way up high on the mountain by the glaciers and stuff. no info about xc anymore though…

Oct. 14, 2006, 10:51 p.m.

it is not a easy hike either the chairlift is deceptive
or at least thats what ive been told

brokezors

Oct. 14, 2006, 11:04 p.m.

It's crown land. They can't stop you, they don't own the land. But they would probably get pissed. I talked to some guy who hikes during the end of ski season when the lower mountain is melted. He said it is very fun with all the mud and what not. But to be on the safe side I never would.

Oct. 14, 2006, 11:21 p.m.

Haha, i never would, i was just curious

Oct. 14, 2006, 11:41 p.m.

It's crown land. They can't stop you, they don't own the land. But they would probably get pissed. I talked to some guy who hikes during the end of ski season when the lower mountain is melted. He said it is very fun with all the mud and what not. But to be on the safe side I never would.

Doesn't the WB own the land inbounds of the ski resort, therefore they can do whatever they want pending environmental interests?

mtbskierdad

Oct. 15, 2006, 1:33 a.m.

Doesn't the WB own the land inbounds of the ski resort, therefore they can do whatever they want pending environmental interests?

It's very rare for a resort to privately own the land that they use.

This is your birthday pony.

Oct. 15, 2006, 2:23 a.m.

at the end of the day theres not much they can do, theres no season pass to take off you and they cant physically stop you.

I'd imagine their attitude is similar to their take on the unofficial trails.

anyway havent you all had enough of a-line? im getting some much needed valley trail riding in.

Oct. 15, 2006, 6:34 a.m.

Today on the way to woodlot my friend told me that its legal to pedal up whistler and than come down for free. Catch is that if you fall, WBP's not liable. Is this true, or was i misinformed ?

Why don't you send an email to the legal guys for Whistler and pose that question. I understand there is nothing that prevents a citizen from hiking up that mountain (try the singing pass trail for starters).

Oct. 15, 2006, 9:02 a.m.

I think they OWN the land. Not crown land. They were the only place in SW BC that stayed opened during the backcountry access ban a few years back.

Oct. 15, 2006, 9:41 a.m.

No, it would cost way to much to buy that land. Anyone who says they can build a profitable ski resort that supports tourism can get the land for lease. Thats the situation with Hemlock, they didn't fulfill their contract so the government shut them down. I'm pretty sure it's the same with Whistler. It was even the original test project for the program (http://www.cserv.gov.bc.ca/lgd/gov_structure/library/mountain_resorts_association_guide.pdf)
And heres a map outlining government owned lands in the Sea-to-Sky region.
http://ilmbwww.gov.bc.ca/ilmb/lup/lrmp/coast/s2s/images/planarea_images/sslrmp_clr2.jpg