Has the Crankworx Slopestyle lost 'it'

Aug. 16, 2009, 7:16 p.m.

Mountain bikers should be banned from judging it.

Bring some bmx judges in.

"you get a 10."

"sweet brah, 10 out of 10, major stoke!"

"you misunderstand, the scale is out of 100."

Check my stuff for sale!

Aug. 16, 2009, 7:16 p.m.

wasnt the wind a bit of a factor in this years comp? i just watched it on the stream so it was hard to tell. i thought it was exciting, not many jaw droppers but when the riders are all so talented its gotta be hard for just one guy to stand out. highlights for me were berrecloth boosting the tiger wall huge, watts 3 whipping the first drop, montgomery was sloppy but i love that kids unique style, his side saddle flip in colorado was sick. the flat spin super lacond tried is somthing i want to see more of. overall i dont see what all the whining is for,it was a good tight comp.

Aug. 16, 2009, 7:44 p.m.

I hate when the last rider just gets a pass.

I am not A lacondeguy fan but in practice he was trying what looked like a back flip with a superman Indy air thing and kept bailing one time he faced planted really hard, I'm surprised he even competed after that.
and what about Cam Zinc That was A huge front flip he over rotated on, so there is still progression its just not coming as fast as before.

I have always come away from the slopestyle thinking the wrong person won, no difference this year.

Aug. 16, 2009, 10:52 p.m.

Best streaker ever.

THAT was hilarious :lol:

Aug. 16, 2009, 10:59 p.m.

how about b-rad not giving any cash to gully for his run. what a dick.

edit: the cash thing was f'n lame in the first place too imo.

Bicycles!

Aug. 16, 2009, 11:20 p.m.

yeah, i thought the cash thing was dumb. some of the guys actually looked a little insulted, or maybe they were embarassed, hard to tell.

i actually liked a lot about the slopestyle, but for me, it kind of IS crankworx. i didn't like the judging format though - the sandbag run was stupid and a waste of time.

Aug. 17, 2009, 12:08 a.m.

Tough to call out the slopestyle when athletes are putting their lives at risk for relatively low pay. The tricks thrown were awesome and the smoothness was amazing. For regular spectators, the competition was a huge draw and pleased many. For mtb'er in the know, it seemed like a let down because it was stuff we had seen before in other comps or in the movies.

I've been to every crankworx since the beginning, and while the wow factor was slightly less, I was still impressed. Double tailwhips by Soderstrom were perfect, Gully going way out his comfort zone and threeing the Giro box, the 3-whip off the start ramp and even the flip whip by Watts again. Brandon was soo smooth and has all tricks on lockdown. I loved that Kelly McGarry manualled the Sram step up.That was a huge commitment!

The downers were few:
- Not resetting the score for the super finals.
- Letting Brad Ewan speak, or really just be the main announcer.
- Letting Brad Ewan hand out cash carelessly
- While it didn't affect my spectating too much, the course design could have used a few tweaks to increase flow and reduce the need for heavy breaking into stunts. GeoffG, the wall riders were def. cool. They only sucked because none of the athletes, except for Berrecloth had the balls to ride them high, and trick them.

The rest of the comp was fun to watch, and I liked that injuries were kept to a minimum.

Aug. 17, 2009, 2:25 a.m.

I'm surprised nobody spun a 270 out of the second wallride

Aug. 17, 2009, 7:10 a.m.

Tough to call out the slopestyle when athletes are putting their lives at risk for relatively low pay. The tricks thrown were awesome and the smoothness was amazing. For regular spectators, the competition was a huge draw and pleased many. For mtb'er in the know, it seemed like a let down because it was stuff we had seen before in other comps or in the movies.

I've been to every crankworx since the beginning, and while the wow factor was slightly less, I was still impressed. Double tailwhips by Soderstrom were perfect, Gully going way out his comfort zone and threeing the Giro box, the 3-whip off the start ramp and even the flip whip by Watts again. Brandon was soo smooth and has all tricks on lockdown. I loved that Kelly McGarry manualled the Sram step up.That was a huge commitment!

The downers were few:
- Not resetting the score for the super finals.
- Letting Brad Ewan speak, or really just be the main announcer.
- Letting Brad Ewan hand out cash carelessly
- While it didn't affect my spectating too much, the course design could have used a few tweaks to increase flow and reduce the need for heavy breaking into stunts. GeoffG, the wall riders were def. cool. They only sucked because none of the athletes, except for Berrecloth had the balls to ride them high, and trick them.

The rest of the comp was fun to watch, and I liked that injuries were kept to a minimum.

Really sums it up

Aug. 17, 2009, 7:50 a.m.

Did I miss something this weekend? was there some sort of event at whistler?

Aug. 17, 2009, 11:53 a.m.

LOL, while ur comment is a bit blunt, it does sum up how i feel about the slopestyle event..

i have been there every year, but havent stopped riding to watch it in the last 3 or so..

even the trade exhibit seems to be losing its luster…i think ima start skipping the slopestyle weekend..

yeah it was a bit blunt on purpose. but i do echo kperras' comments and recognize that these guys are doing amazing things on bikes that not very many people are able to do, and that is impressive.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Aug. 17, 2009, 12:05 p.m.

I loved that Kelly McGarry manualled the Sram step up.That was a huge commitment!

He was thinking of a nose manual on it. But a pretty serious crash on Thursday kinda spooked him.

Kelly tried to air out the whole SRAM gap on his DH bike in training. Because of the rolled shape of the landing it looked like it was shorter than it was, going into the jump he felt he had too much speed to so he didn't pop it enough. He chainring cased the roll section. Bent cranks, busted chain ring and guide and got cut for 17 stitches in his chin.

Aug. 17, 2009, 12:51 p.m.

How can an event where the tricks become exponentialy more technical and frequent every year have lost it? I remember when the Giro box was the big feature parked at the GLC and the crowd went insane if someone did a backflip. Now, the Giro box is one of many big features and backflips are a dime a dozen, so if anything, our senses have been dulled by amazing skills.

I think the "bigness" of slopestyle hit the ceiling a couple of years ago with that hudge kokanee drop in the finish and rightfully so; competitors were getting hurt. The course became more focussed on showcasing technical tricks rather than big, scary features. Maybe that makes it a BMX track, but it's no less entertaining.

Aug. 17, 2009, 1:02 p.m.

crankworx is not mountain biking, it's like seals performing a circus act.

Indeed. I like to see them ride up for each run. Then again maybe not.

Hey fact is that it is mighty impressibve what these kids can do. So is figure skating. I don't care to watch either for very long.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Aug. 17, 2009, 1:13 p.m.

I did get a rather vanilla feeling this year.

Did anyone else feel that the crowd was a little more subdued this year?

And whats with the Big Bad Brad hate? I thought he was way better than years past, to the point where he has found a niche and gone with it. He has stopped referring to the entire crowd as "Kokane Crankworxs 2009" and just stuck with whistler, making it that much better.

Is this a footnote?