Has the Crankworx Slopestyle lost 'it'

Aug. 16, 2009, 11:09 a.m.

Was anyone else disappointed by last night's Crankworx Slopestyle?

Over the years I've only missed one (and even that took getting married to keep me away) and last night was probably the first time I've left underwhelmed.

Every year I go to see guys pull tricks that have never been done on a mountain bike before, and to go BIG. There were new variations, but nothing really all that new (like last year's double back and front flips, or the flip whip that Paul B started out when he broke on to the scene). And the bigness that kicked off slopestyle originally was completely missing. Yes, I know that the tricks are big, but I'm talking about sending it in a manner that makes the entire crowd hold it's breath:

• Simmons hitting the drop that nobody else even attempts
  • Soaring backflips over gaps that leave you guessing as to where the landing is even supposed to be (can't remember who was pulling those, but it ate at least one collar bone)
  • When Timo was in 2nd and tried to gap the entire final box/stage to push for the ridiculously tiny 1st prize of something like $500 and a mobile phone.

Pushing the limits of human performance and sanity. They need to bring back a little of that.

I'm not saying that the event wasn't good, it was cool to see all the best riders in one place, doing what they do so well. I'm just saying that Crankworx has always been the place to go to get your mind blown, last night my mind was slightly entertained, but if I were watching it on TV I'd be flipping around during the commercial breaks.

That said, as an even, this year was by far the best. The course was well laid out for flow and visibility, the riders kept coming without the stupid delays that plagued previous years, the announcing was no worse than previous years, and the jumbotrons were even HD (I think)! It's also nice to see the prize money starting to reflect the skill and risks assumed by the riders.

Anyone else feel the same way?

iforonewelcome.com

Aug. 16, 2009, 12:44 p.m.

The biggest difference between now and back then is it takes a whole clean run to win the contest. Riders are opting to do tricks they can do every time vs. hucking them selves hoping they will land. They know if they screw up one trick there run is over.

I felt this years contest was one of the best ever. The riding all around was very consistent and all of the top six runs were packed with huge tricks.

Aug. 16, 2009, 1:11 p.m.

That's a good point, the judging is likely holding back the people who are looking to just send it. It's a sad statement when multiple riders (I can think of two off the top of my head) did virtually identical runs in the first and second rounds, and still qualified.

There were no highlights this year. Nothing to tell your friends that you were there, in person, to witness. And to me, that's a lot of what the CW Slopestyle has always been about.

And what the hell was that about at the bottom? Handing out cash? "Yeah! $50 for rising my life! now I can go and buy those grips I've always wanted!"

iforonewelcome.com

Aug. 16, 2009, 1:14 p.m.

Axx, totally bang on! As they dial the whole run we will start to see some more crazy stuff return. I for one would like to see best run of the finals so no one knows they have won till they reach the bottom. I think many were bummed at greg coming through at the end just airing stuff! (Hese riders are awesome entertainers and it is a shame when they just cruise through.
Posted via Mobile Device

:woot:

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

Aug. 16, 2009, 1:16 p.m.

I watched it on the webcast. Thought it was pretty good. I much prefer watching the riding of today as opposed to a few years back. I think a lot of the problem is that mountain bikers don't know what tricks even are. They don't know the difference between a 360 and opp360, barspin from xup, etc. Then they complain that they all do the same tricks… usually while arguing that it was better when people just "hucked" it.

The course could have been better, those wall rides were useless and almost every rider went off that middle log. (Just Bearclaw and Semenuk took other routes I believe). The courses need to start being designed so that riders can do their own thing.

And the other thing was the judging was wonky. Especially early on. Why Watt's first run was so low is anyone guess. And more than one rider looked confused at the bottom. There was even some fan backlash at points. Crankworx Whistler seems to consistently have more judging controversy every year.

That said, I enjoyed watching it. Thought it was pretty cool and definitely did not feel the need to look at something else on the commercials. Totally enjoyed it.

Aug. 16, 2009, 2:07 p.m.

I was also a little disappointed, having gone to the last 3 years slopestyles. that's not to say i didn't have a blast, but it just wasn't quite as good. There are a couple of things, however, that i think may have led to a slightly different format this year.

1. the qualifying happened day of (b/c of weather). I may be mistaken, but didn't they qualify a day or two before in the past?
2. best trick was integrated into the slopestyle (b/c of weather). while this meant that guys would still send it after a messed up run, I think it led to guys trying some big tricks early on, where they'd normally save that stuff for the superfinals.
3. the course. i thought it looked badass when i saw it, but there really weren't that many different options. ultimately, everybody ended up going down the same way.
4. the judging. it seems to me that in the past, the scores for the first round were always in the 70s, the second round in the 80s, and the superfinals in the 90s. I've never seen somebody win a crankworx slopestyle in anything but the superfinal, so I was disappointed to see Watts win it in his second run (though he ripped it up and deserved a win).
5. what sAFTEY said about no real highlights. there were some bloody impresive tricks and stunts, but nothing that made me hold my breath and go nuts when it was landed. not like McDermott's front flip off the kokanee box last year.

that said, i had a blast. the attmosphere was great. the riders were awesome. the beers were cold. I'll be there next year and all subsequent years.

There's no place like fromme

Aug. 16, 2009, 2:58 p.m.

too many backflips tailwhips and 360s…. i'd like to see points go out for variety and see some more of those barhops and indy airs and things like that.. didn't that swedish guy do a tailwhip or double tailwhip on almost every single jump

Aug. 16, 2009, 3:38 p.m.

Every year the slopestyle gets worse. Im tired of the shit that Cowan builds. Was there really a need for two wall rides? That SRAM stunt was retarded and the thing after it was barely tricked. The opening step down and step up was great, as well as the final jump and Kokanee stunt, but the stuff between that was lacking. And as usual, there was a large amount of dead space that jumps could have filled with jumps. If anything, they need a rider to build these courses. They know what they can fit in and what type of jumps they can pull certain tricks off of (ie. flip whips, three whips, etc.). Clawworx's courses are exactly how the Crankworx slopestyle course should be like.
Also, there is nothing gayer than knowing who won before the final rider has finished. Watching a sandbag run is a waste. There is nothing more exciting than having the last person down the hill have to come up huge to win.

Im still waiting for a Crankworx to be impressed by. And when that day comes, everyone will be complaining about how the next year's competition is nothing in comparison. A lot of the three'd drops, whips and backflips are automatic for the riders. There were minimal falls, and although I don't want the riders to get hurt, they should have to impress even more every year. And in my opinion, that means pulling a trick that no one else will comprehend trying. The one Crankworx that stands out in my mind was in 2007. No one was tricking the stepdown, and all it took was someone to backflip it, and that revolutionized the sport. After that, everyone started backflipping stepdowns for movies and such. I want to see the riders have to step up and try things that they may not have down automatic.

YES! My buddy, my dad I have been talking about that. It should be 2 run super final with previous runs meaning nothing other than dropping order for super finals. I think it would be much more exciting that way.

http://kamloopsbikes.blogspot.com

Aug. 16, 2009, 4:07 p.m.

crankworx is not mountain biking, it's like seals performing a circus act.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Aug. 16, 2009, 4:11 p.m.

Best streaker ever.

Aug. 16, 2009, 4:37 p.m.

everyone complained last year about the contest being too long, throwing in 2 more runs after the main puts the sun even lower and crowd sitting around longer, there is nothing wrong with how they scored it, and Andreu's dump 360 seat grab, was sicktor, and one line with options gives the judges an easier time scoring runs…..can't make everyone happy….both those wall rides had quater pipe options only 2 riders took advantage of….

mtbskierdad

Aug. 16, 2009, 4:57 p.m.

Best streaker ever.

Highlight of the event…and I love how none of the "security" guys even tried to stop him!!!

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Aug. 16, 2009, 5:27 p.m.

crankworx is not mountain biking, it's like seals performing a circus act.

LOL, while ur comment is a bit blunt, it does sum up how i feel about the slopestyle event..

i have been there every year, but havent stopped riding to watch it in the last 3 or so..

even the trade exhibit seems to be losing its luster…i think ima start skipping the slopestyle weekend..

Aug. 16, 2009, 6:27 p.m.

They should just change i to Racerwerx and kill it off completely, that way we can ban girljeans, and make everybody wear TL PJs.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Aug. 16, 2009, 7:10 p.m.

Mountain bikers should be banned from judging it.

Bring some bmx judges in.