Garbanzo trails?

June 7, 2005, 7:20 p.m.

Last year I only rode no joke up there. So I was just wondering what trails are harder and what are they like? And what trails are easier and what are they like? No joke with crappy tires in the mud proved to be a bit too much for me, as I ended up walking more than I had hoped.

June 7, 2005, 7:28 p.m.

There is a range of trails up there. I would say No Joke = Original Sin =Goats Gully for difficulty.

If you ride the Shore (Cypress) and like it, then you will love Gabonzo trails.

I cannot wait to get back up there.

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

June 7, 2005, 8:48 p.m.

I rode original sin last year in the pouring rain and it was the most epic ride of my life! All those rock faces were super slippery and the wet roots were gnarly (I ride mostly in Tahoe, California) but it was just amazing. The double wall ride thing looks like a lot of fun, I couldn't pump myself up enough to do it, and the hip is a lot of fun. Also, it is a super long ride down, and dumps you right into A-Line. It is gnarly in the rain for sure, it wouldn't be to bad when everything is dry, as long as you have a dh bike. No Joke was fun, but I thought Original sin was the sickest trail ever.

June 7, 2005, 9:19 p.m.

they're all tough. fatcrobat rules. and its garbo … have a bad lap go do another. i personally like days of only garbo.

Eye on the TV
'cause tragedy thrills me
Whatever flavor
It happens to be like:
"Killed by the husband"
"Drowned by the ocean"
"Shot by his own son"
"She used the poison in his tea
and kissed him goodbye"
That's my kind of story
It's no fun til someone dies

June 7, 2005, 10:03 p.m.

i personally like days of only garbo.

Aye!!! garbanzo is fun .

June 7, 2005, 10:36 p.m.

i personally like days of only garbo.

That's almost all I ride in the summer when I visit Whistler. Longer runs, less people, more tech stuff, more like riding used to be. Fatcrobat, Captain Safety are wicked trails. oh, and… is it called duffman? or something like that?

My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch. :scream:

June 7, 2005, 11:40 p.m.

No Joke is probably the easiest trail up there. It is much more flowy and bump and jump than Original Sin Etc.

Garbo is steep and tech for the most part. Fatcrobat has long sections of sub 12" wide log rides. Too tight is tech and tight.

Is it duffman that is the Double black after the Hip/Stepup ? I never remember the name.

When Freight train opens maybe thet will be easier (read not tech).

Garbo is advanced to expert riders territory right now.

Maybe you should hone your skills on the intermediate tech on the lower half? Ride schleyer, and joyride, DH and nationals. Cook into Crack addict. Less steep and can help you work on tech skills. Less risk as well. Start there and work your way up…you'll get there in no time ! Before you know it, Garbo will be just another option of trails to hit.

Best to work up to it though. Getting over your head at whistler seems to = a quick trip to the clinic.

Dec 2006 photo contest winner "Best Ass Shot"

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

June 8, 2005, 12:13 a.m.

Is it duffman that is the Double black after the Hip/Stepup ? I never remember the name.

I think you are refering to Goats Gulley.

June 8, 2005, 12:56 a.m.

there's also captain safety.. ^^

June 8, 2005, 8 a.m.

Duffman is single black. You're probably thinking of No Duff, which was added mid-summer.

My advice is warm up on the lower mountain. If you're comfortable with Angry Pirate and Hornet then you can probably handle moving up to No Joke. I think most people would agree that No Joke is easier than Original Sin/Goats/In Deep.

June 8, 2005, 8:23 a.m.

ya i agree no joke is pretty easy i love riding no joke right at the end of the day its a nice cool off run

(\ /)
(O.o) help bunny achieve world domination. sig him.
(> <)

June 8, 2005, 8:37 a.m.

Maybe you should hone your skills on the intermediate tech on the lower half? Ride schleyer, and joyride, DH and nationals. Cook into Crack addict. Less steep and can help you work on tech skills. Less risk as well. Start there and work your way up…you'll get there in no time ! Before you know it, Garbo will be just another option of trails to hit.

i dont care for schleyer, joyride etc (have actualy never ridden some of those trails) but when i tried no joke for the first time last fall i pretty much spent the whole day on garbanzo. original sin is definitely harder, but i'll definitely be hitting up no joke again this year.

June 8, 2005, 10:01 a.m.

i agree with the others: no joke is a bit easier than original sin (and a bit more boring, too, with that fire road section).

my garbanzo vow is that this year i WILL do the manager, or the manager will do me…

toshiclark.com

June 8, 2005, 10:11 a.m.

^^ Is Manager rock going to be re-opened? I seem to remember them permanently closing it last year since too many accidents were happening on it.

June 8, 2005, 10:22 a.m.

^^ Is Manager rock going to be re-opened? I seem to remember them permanently closing it last year since too many accidents were happening on it.

that'd be both a shame and a bit of a relief :D

toshiclark.com