Freeride/DH Newbie

Dec. 21, 2007, 8:43 a.m.

I've been an XC rider for the longest time but traded my 07Fluid to and 07Shore after riding Whistler this past summer. The Fluid didn't last very many runs and now i'm hooked to DH/Freeriding style.

Next summer I'll be riding my Shore at Whistler and I'm thinking of getting the season pass. My problem is:

I don't want to get in the way of you pros doing your thing but at the same time I want to practice on more difficult trails and eventually do what you do..

My skill level?? The hardest I rode so far on the mtn was Devil's Club..which was only a blue i think. The most fun I thought was crank it up..I thought I could handle a bit more difficult trails than those…I want to try some blacks but again I hate to impede the pro riders….when is the "quiet' time at whistler when there's nobody around? Or maybe I should go to a bike park further away?? Silverstar or something where there's possibly less people? I need some advice..thanks in advance.

Dec. 21, 2007, 9:39 a.m.

Just get up early in the morning. Most of the locals are too m0nged to hit the park until at least 12.00. Rainy days too…

As for getting in the way, some people like to think they own A Line, despite the fact that their pass cost a spookily similar amount to everyone elses… Just be sensible and keep an eye out for people, look back whenever you can and get out of the way whenever safe to do so.

I guess you've been down Karate Monkey? A blue trail but good fun and just techy enough to keep you thinking. Angry Pirate and Lower Whistler DH I tend to think of as the 'learner' black runs, tricky in places but only at places where you are not going very quickly anyway, so not too much of a problem.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Dec. 21, 2007, 9:46 a.m.

I've never had trouble with people passing me on my first day. it's like lane changing, dont' slow down, move to the side gradually. They're pass around you in corner, dont' move inward.

Dec. 21, 2007, 9:49 a.m.

Well to learn a more difficult trail, i would say Go with lower whistler DH like mentioned above. Also monkey hands And the Newly built Ninja Cougar. As for getting in the way of people on a-line, just do your thing, but remember if you hear a Right or a Left from behind you. That is a faster rider telling you which side they are gonna pass you on. So don't move to the side they say, just stay where you are on your line and they will go around you. Another good place to practice is the joy ride jump park right by lower crank it up. If you can land back side of the fourth jump, then you can do any or the jumps on a-line. The only other thing you would need to do after that is just be comfortable with riding really fast. But don't feel you have to go to another resort, just come here and look for a nice local and they will help ya, or find an instructor, make friends and i am sure they will teach you some stuff when they are not working :) i hope this helps

WhistlerActionCams.com

Dec. 21, 2007, 9:50 a.m.

I would say 99[HTML_REMOVED]#37; of people you encounter on A-line will be at least somewhat patient and allow you to pull over to let them pass. The best way to ride any trail is to just always be aware of people coming up on you and making sure that you pull over when you have the chance.
The best time to ride would be in the middle of the week in the morning, or late afternoon in extended play. There will generally be significantly less riders at those times.

Dec. 21, 2007, 10:02 a.m.

anytime that most people would be working is a good time to go. like in the middle of the week before summer break or something.

Dec. 21, 2007, 10:21 a.m.

anytime that most people would be working is a good time to go. like in the middle of the week before summer break or something.

Is that what a lot of you guys do?

Check out my Buy/Sell items on Pinkbike: http://truvativ21.pinkbike.com/buysell/

Dec. 21, 2007, 11:27 a.m.

mid week before and after July and Augest are much slower, sometimes evenings are good after 5pm til 8, 'cept on every other Wednesday, come out to a Phat Wed race and cruise a trail with us and grab a beer after….and we are not called pros, pros gat paid, we are experts…..

mtbskierdad

Dec. 21, 2007, 12:05 p.m.

I did the same thing in the summer of 06. Rode there for two days after years of XC riding, fell in love, bought a DH bike, and rode about 40 days this last summer.

It is intimidating and it does seem like everyone is pro the first few days you ride Whistler but you'll be surprised how fast you'll progress and be on par with most people riding there.

Dec. 21, 2007, 1:19 p.m.

Thanks for the valuable advice everyone!

Dec. 21, 2007, 1:27 p.m.

everyone has great points! It definately feels intimidating at first, but just meet some people and ride with them. Most people are very nice and trust me, with the common sense you already have by the looks of your post, you'll be a much more enjoyable rider to have in the park than many others!
Send me a pm next time you come up for riding and I could show you come stuff.

http://www.whistlermountainbike.com
http://www.motionmtb.com/

Dec. 21, 2007, 1:40 p.m.

try devil's club in the wet

Dec. 21, 2007, 1:56 p.m.

everyone has great points! It definately feels intimidating at first, but just meet some people and ride with them. Most people are very nice and trust me, with the common sense you already have by the looks of your post, you'll be a much more enjoyable rider to have in the park than many others!
Send me a pm next time you come up for riding and I could show you come stuff.

Thanks for your offer! I just might PM you next summer!

Dec. 21, 2007, 1:58 p.m.

try devil's club in the wet

the only time I tried Devil's Club was in the wet. Those falls weren't fun at all. It was where I started to fear wet ladders….I need a lot of practice going down those wet ones without touching my brakes…

Dec. 21, 2007, 2:01 p.m.

Just get up early in the morning. Most of the locals are too m0nged to hit the park until at least 12.00. Rainy days too…

As for getting in the way, some people like to think they own A Line, despite the fact that their pass cost a spookily similar amount to everyone elses… Just be sensible and keep an eye out for people, look back whenever you can and get out of the way whenever safe to do so.

I guess you've been down Karate Monkey? A blue trail but good fun and just techy enough to keep you thinking. Angry Pirate and Lower Whistler DH I tend to think of as the 'learner' black runs, tricky in places but only at places where you are not going very quickly anyway, so not too much of a problem.

yeah, i went down karate Monkey before..i think..there were so many trails that i only went by the color code…greens and blues only.. i think smoke and mirrors was the last trail i was on this past season..

now i can't wait to try angry pirate and dh1..thanks for the tips!