Freeride/DH Newbie

Jan. 7, 2008, 5:28 p.m.

Could you imagine if we had to yell "on your left" while driving? :lol:

When I was in Indo, the driver kept on putting his left turn signal and he would
then turn right. After a while I asked what's up, he told me that they put the signal
to let them know which way the person behind them should pass.

And THAT'S why I didn't rent a moped. One of the guys we hung out with rented
one and found a dead tourist surfer type dead on the side of the road half hour
after he rented his moped. When he told some locals they told him, "it happens,
someone will come by and take him away. Would you like to rent a bemo?" (ok
the bemo part I made up)

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Jan. 7, 2008, 9:54 p.m.

Ha, yeah the infamous timber to rock chute after the split to Crack Addict got me the one time. Figured it was safer to just not brake at all as it was going to be slippy as hell. My plan worked well until the last three feet when both wheels decided to wash out on me and slammed in to the rocks at the bottom with predictably painful results :crybaby:

ahahaha same here twice:LOL:

Jan. 8, 2008, 4:15 p.m.

hmm i too have been hesitant to try whistler just because it looks so intimidating. that plus i'm worried i'm too noobs and will just get in the way of others.

that plus i'm worried that i don't know how to put my bike on the lift and that they will have to stop the lift for me because i screwed up and my bike is hanging there ready to fall off as soon as the next gentle breeze hits it. yet the bike is already too high for anyone to reach it so they have to get a ladder. then all the ppl in the lift line start yelling and booing me. and some even start to throw things at me and my friends beside me are suddenly no where to be found and then low and behold my pants fall down around my ankles and that is the day i forgot to wear my underwear.

man funny how worries tend to get carried away.

well i'm glad i found this post. i might just have to give wbp a try this year.

uhmm so how does one put their bike on the lift thingys?

Jan. 8, 2008, 6:28 p.m.

hmm i too have been hesitant to try whistler just because it looks so intimidating. that plus i'm worried i'm too noobs and will just get in the way of others.

that plus i'm worried that i don't know how to put my bike on the lift and that they will have to stop the lift for me because i screwed up and my bike is hanging there ready to fall off as soon as the next gentle breeze hits it. yet the bike is already too high for anyone to reach it so they have to get a ladder. then all the ppl in the lift line start yelling and booing me. and some even start to throw things at me and my friends beside me are suddenly no where to be found and then low and behold my pants fall down around my ankles and that is the day i forgot to wear my underwear.

man funny how worries tend to get carried away.

well i'm glad i found this post. i might just have to give wbp a try this year.

My wife ate shit on golden triangle on a straight flat stretch (she said she hit
a patch of gravel), she puts her own bike on the lift (I'll help if she's in trouble).
She is as noob as they get, and she has a great time. She hits up HOD, bline,
GT, ciu and has an awesome time. She'll even get some air under her tires…sometimes.

So don't worry about all ^^, if you have an issue someone will help you out.
I've helped out several guys and girls that I saw get in trouble. It's to all of our
best interest to help (otherwise we have to wait too).

If someone gives you stink eye, ignore them. From what I've seen, the REAL
rock stars don't give us hacks and noobs stress. There was a thread here last
year I think, where someone was on Aline when Brian Lopes comes flying up
behind him. When he pulled over, Brian said "keep going I'm in no rush (or something like that)".

I can't see Cedric, Peat, or any one of those guys giving you grief. I've had more
help from locals than I can say thank you for. I was on the Garbo lift two
years ago talking to a local guy. I was having an issue with one of the runs
(OS I think). He told me to follow him, he'd keep it slow and told me to follow
his line. I cleaned everything, and have come to love that trail. When we got to
the end, I said thanks, and he took off like a bat out of hell.

HTFU and do it! :agree:

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Jan. 8, 2008, 6:57 p.m.

Haha, I've had some problems in the past. Sometimes I wouldnt make it onto the hanging part and would have to wait for the next chair. One time, i got it on just in time, and my bike fell sideways on the rack and they had to stope the lift and put my bike back on. I was so embarassed, but no one really cared, only help was given. I LEARNED how to mountain bike in whistler, and they make it so that no matter what ability level you are at, you will have a safe and fun experience. Don't worry, once you get there you will be suprised how it wasnt insane like you thought it would be. Everyone is there to have a good time and you'll love it. The bike system on the lifts is really simple. They slow the chair down for you, and you push your bike onto the tray and left it go. And iof you have problems, one of the liftys will come and help you.

http://www.whistlermountainbike.com
http://www.motionmtb.com/

Feb. 4, 2008, 11:15 p.m.

The best thing you can do is follow someone closely down Crank it up. You have to have a lot of trust so make sure it's someone who is good at the trail. The jumps are idiot proof but we're all idiots from time to time. The problem I first had with CIU and then Aline was that it always seems like I was going way too quick (being used to the shore) for the jumps. Then I would always come up short. After following someone down and seeing just how incredibly fast you had to go to skip over the landing and land on flat ground, my confidence went way up (haha until the river gap on freight train or whereever that was which took me by surprise.).

Most of a-line is idiot proof too, save for the rock drop 1/2 way down. It's an easy drop but if you it it too fast, you will feel the landing.

One of these is not like the others.

Feb. 5, 2008, 10:50 a.m.

The best thing you can do is follow someone closely down Crank it up. You have to have a lot of trust so make sure it's someone who is good at the trail. The jumps are idiot proof but we're all idiots from time to time. The problem I first had with CIU and then Aline was that it always seems like I was going way too quick (being used to the shore) for the jumps. Then I would always come up short. After following someone down and seeing just how incredibly fast you had to go to skip over the landing and land on flat ground, my confidence went way up (haha until the river gap on freight train or whereever that was which took me by surprise.).

Most of a-line is idiot proof too, save for the rock drop 1/2 way down. It's an easy drop but if you it it too fast, you will feel the landing.

I hear ya on that one (the river gap)! It came up on me fast but I had gotten in a groove from the multiple tabletops on the trail leading up to it that I just sent it as if it was any of the other tabletops. I bet if I had stopped and actually looked at it first I wouldn't have made my first attempt.

Feb. 16, 2008, 1:49 a.m.

Shoot me a PM aswell when you come to whistler! Ill be more then happy to do a few runs with ya, and grab a quick beer after.

2005 A-lline upgraded… 1250 OBO!