Freeride/DH Newbie

Dec. 21, 2007, 2:59 p.m.

Is that what a lot of you guys do?

not all of us, but for me, still being in school and all, i get the whole summer off. that means that i can bus up or get a ride or somehow get up there and ride as much as i want. sadly, i didn't take advantage of that this summer, and only got 16 days in the park. that's kinda lame considering i live in north van, only an hour and a half away.

Dec. 21, 2007, 3:19 p.m.

'cept on every other Wednesday, come out to a Phat Wed race and cruise a trail with us and grab a beer after….

Don't forget Womens Wednesdays either, those are Every wednesday. We had 900 women attend it by the end of the year, with an average of about 30-50 woman a night.

WhistlerActionCams.com

Dec. 21, 2007, 3:26 p.m.

now i can't wait to try angry pirate and dh1..thanks for the tips!

The trail is called D1 and it is a Pro only line that is usually only open for a little bit of the season. I would suggest you not ride D1 unless your name is wade Simmons or Richie Schley. But there is still loads of other difficult trails to try your skills on.

WhistlerActionCams.com

Dec. 21, 2007, 3:56 p.m.

the only time I tried Devil's Club was in the wet. Those falls weren't fun at all. It was where I started to fear wet ladders….I need a lot of practice going down those wet ones without touching my brakes…

i tried it once in the wet and avoided it every other time

Dec. 22, 2007, 2:14 a.m.

Ha, yeah the infamous timber to rock chute after the split to Crack Addict got me the one time. Figured it was safer to just not brake at all as it was going to be slippy as hell. My plan worked well until the last three feet when both wheels decided to wash out on me and slammed in to the rocks at the bottom with predictably painful results :crybaby:

Upper Angry Pirate / Karate Monkey / World Cup Singletrack / Ho Chi Min / Longhorn / A Line / Hornet is a less obvious run down but picks up loads of semi techy singletrack.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Dec. 22, 2007, 5:28 p.m.

Just like in any other sport, there are idiots that are there to prove something.
Slow riders aren't a problem, I can slow down. I would say that if you can't do
the entry stunt do a different trail till you can. But if you're hitting CIU and are
making the landings, then you're ready for Aline.

As was said before, just listen up for people coming up from behind. If they just
pass you real close at mach speed or yell at you to get the F$$$ out of the way,
it's them being an a$$h## not you. Talk to people on the lift up, someone might
just take you under their wing and show you some less traveled but just as fun trails.

No need to go anywhere else, Whistler has it all.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Dec. 22, 2007, 8:13 p.m.

Before you know it, you'll be one of the riders yelling "Left" as you pass a slower rider. That one off-camber ladder on Devil's club is a bugger in the wet [HTML_REMOVED] mud.

Thread killer

Dec. 22, 2007, 8:39 p.m.

one guy tried to let me by on the narrow part of HOD and i yelled keep going and he got mad at me :\

Jan. 6, 2008, 9:17 p.m.

if you just do your thing and dont switch lanes all the time then faster riders will find a way to get around you
just dont switch lanes and swerve around bcause thats real scary for a guy trying to pass you:fro:

Who can control rabbits. They breed like … er… horny small animals.

spelling has nothing to do with being straight.

http://fvmba.com/
http://transitionbikes.com/2007/index.cfm

:safrica:

Jan. 7, 2008, 12:12 a.m.

if you just do your thing and dont switch lanes all the time then faster riders will find a way to get around you
just dont switch lanes and swerve around bcause thats real scary for a guy trying to pass you:fro:

true, last summer, im hauling down heart of darkness (just cause its fu*king awesome) and i see a slow guy so i yell "ON THE LEFT" and for some retarded reason he swerves to the left, i smash into his side and eat shit!
so remember if some one yells to the left that means he passing you on the left, not turn to the left

Jan. 7, 2008, 3:39 a.m.

haha HOD I did couples sketchy passing in that one… always a blast that trail…
The best thing to do when you wana pass a slower rider is not saying a word or just "watch out!" and make your way between the riders… cause most of the time slower riders don't know the basics (like "on the left" or "on the right"…) so the best is to improvise and maybe you'll find a new lines ;) what I did…

WE DESIGN I WE BUILD = YOU ENJOY

Jan. 7, 2008, 7:48 a.m.

I do think some people panic when someone shouts "ON YOUR LEFT!!". On the odd occasion someone has shouted that to me I've had to think twice which way to go as soon as I hear 'left', my instinct is to go in that direction!! If I come up to someone I just tend to chill as there's always another run. Can't be arsed forcing my way passed people.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Jan. 7, 2008, 12:15 p.m.

"RIDER UP!" is all I say, wait for rider to either move over or start giving er….

mtbskierdad

Jan. 7, 2008, 12:31 p.m.

"RIDER UP!" is all I say, wait for rider to either move over or start giving er….

yep. I've had too many issues and close calls trying to inform people which side I was going to pass on. Rider up gives the slower rider the ball and lets them do their thing when they are ready. The lift runs all day, I can wait an extra minute if it means dude in front of me is playing it safe for both of us.

Could you imagine if we had to yell "on your left" while driving? :lol:

dear DW,
since you got like a million bucks now, can i borrow $2850 for a Revolt frame?

thanks,
steve

Jan. 7, 2008, 12:33 p.m.

Could you imagine if we had to yell "on your left" while driving? :lol:

sometimes I want to yell that on the highway up here…:swearing:

wow, M&M, you're a fucking dick!

don't be so politically correct, this is stacy kohut, not fucking rick hansen your talkin too……..