Freelap at Whistler

Dec. 6, 2008, 10:09 a.m.

So DHRM I think the original post suggested this at Whistler…would this be something that Freelap would approach Whistler on? ie set up the under ground poles…and riders then rent or buy watches…

Like Whistler110 mention a demo system was sent out last june to them for testing purposes. We will definately give it another go this year are we truly beleive in our product to be a great addition to this already amazing Bike Park.

If more and more riders let them know there interest in the system I am sur its something that could be brought again to the table and more thoughts and ideas could be put in place to maximize people experience with the system in Whistler!

www.freelapCanada.com
freedom of timing

Dec. 6, 2008, 11:49 a.m.

I have no experience of Freelap but it sounds like a very cool idea, and can certainly introduce an awesome new element (accurate timing) to non-race events

it should not be hard to create a leagueboard for racers on a set track using Freelap?

or even turn a relatively dull track into something much more fun with the addition of timing so that riders push themselves harder on each run

I could even see a slalom type setup on a grassy hill using bamboo poles made into a great fun afternoon using something like Freelap

does the Freelap system store each rider/run, so you can download it later to a computer for comparisons?

more info please…

Mythic / Da Kine / Esher Shore / Freeborn

http://hampsteadbandit.blogspot.com/

Dec. 6, 2008, 1:01 p.m.

not sure which trial this could happen on, it would never happen on the jump trials, and there are too many crossings on trials like Joyride and Whistler DH, the only uninterrupted trails from top to bottom would be Crank It Up to Heart of Darkness, and that would never happen….curious to see where this goes, I would definitly get a watch if something was setup though……

mtbskierdad

Dec. 6, 2008, 5:31 p.m.

It doesn't have to be an uninterrupted run from top to bottom though. One trail would be plenty, just make sure it doesn't cross another trail anywhere in between the poles.

Dec. 8, 2008, 8:13 a.m.

does the Freelap system store each rider/run, so you can download it later to a computer for comparisons?

more info please…

Yes Freelap stopwatch can store up to 2000 intermediates times that can be later on dowloaded to a pc using the Freelap USB adapter.

www.freelapCanada.com
freedom of timing

Dec. 8, 2008, 8:22 a.m.

It doesn't have to be an uninterrupted run from top to bottom though. One trail would be plenty, just make sure it doesn't cross another trail anywhere in between the poles.

Correct. Freelap can be installed in section of trails that are uninterrupted by crossing or junctions. Bromont installed them up in sections that for the fastest rider on the hill would take between 1min to 1min 30 to complete. It

www.freelapCanada.com
freedom of timing

Dec. 8, 2008, 11:55 a.m.

I take it that Freelap is just as accurate as professional timing systems which are used by race organisers

are there any race organisers that have done away with hiring expensive and labour intensive (to setup) timing systems and used a Freelap setup instead?

if you had the Freelap poles installed at the top and bottom of a race track, and had perhaps 20 watches loaned to racers (so they could be re-circulated as riders do their run, and hand to the next guy uplifting…)?

seems like a much more cost effective way to effectively time a race, and with racing costs rising so much (at least here in the UK) it could be a solution?

Mythic / Da Kine / Esher Shore / Freeborn

http://hampsteadbandit.blogspot.com/

Dec. 9, 2008, 11:07 a.m.

there can only be one fast guy…

i only ride on weekdays, weekends you guys can fight it out

meh

Dec. 23, 2008, 4:39 p.m.

watch rental pass sounds fantastic if the freelaps were installed as well.

reserving some trails and limiting runs per person would be required, or it won't be very accurate.

Jan. 27, 2009, 1:30 p.m.

i only ride on weekdays, weekends you guys can fight it out

lol! sounds like a challenge is set!

www.freelapCanada.com
freedom of timing