Freelap at Whistler

Nov. 29, 2008, 2:09 p.m.

I wonder how they handled it at Diablo, I think it was set up there all year

Good, except two or three rented watches were stolen at the end of the year. They shut it down for the rest of the season, but it will be back or next year.

cancer curing hurricanes cock down my throat.

Nov. 30, 2008, 4:39 a.m.

Guys… I have a question… Isn't that the Phat Wenesdays are made for??? knowing whos the fastest and how fast you can ride???…

WE DESIGN I WE BUILD = YOU ENJOY

Nov. 30, 2008, 1:21 p.m.

Racing is a daily job!
One only run during the phat wed is frustrating, you don[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;t really know your best time, you can[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;t try to improve it and you only racing the Phat wed trails.
There are so much interesting things to check with a freelap, like the difference between chainless or not, slick tires, it[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s a great tool!
Anyway, racing on an open trail is definiitely dangerous but a freelap would be much easier and precise than using my cell phone :D

Another solution for personal training: http://www.sportcount.com

Nov. 30, 2008, 1:23 p.m.

Phat wednesdays are great events…but as the name implies they are on wednesdays. This is great for the locals, people on holidays and and people with no jobs….but the freelap system would allow any random person with a watch to play on any day….

Blogging - Never before have so many people with so little to say said so much to so few.

Dec. 1, 2008, 12:10 a.m.

Good, except two or three rented watches were stolen at the end of the year. They shut it down for the rest of the season, but it will be back or next year.

Would it not be like renting a bike, you would need to leave your information, and a credit card imprint or something of the sort to rent the watch. Of course they could use a stolen card if they really wanted tobut with pins now days thats getting more difficult.

.:NSTP:.

Dec. 1, 2008, 8:27 a.m.

If you really want to get your times you could always just zip tie a cheap stop watch to your handlebar. It would be similiear to hitting your shifter to stop and start it. I realize this wouldn't be as accurate as the Freelap system but it could still work out, and you could use it on any trail.

Mountain Biking has given me the best friends in the world.

Dec. 1, 2008, 10:13 a.m.

I can imagine the trouble this would cause in any bikepark anywhere. Why not simply put one or two tracks on the map that can only be ridden if you are interested in getting a seriously timed run?

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Dec. 2, 2008, 1:46 p.m.

It seems like a good idea to me as long as its limited to certain trails. Maybe double black's only, because the people riding those trails obviously have more riding experience, so they will be more understanding. It shouldn't be a problem on trails like Whistler's DH, Goat's Gully, Biker-x, etc.

Trails where it would be a BAD idea to have the freelap set up would be Dirt Merchant, A-Line, Crank-It Up, or any Blue trail. Although it might be fun, blue trails do not belong to racers.

Dec. 3, 2008, 7:54 a.m.

thedude, awesome idea

how long is an average fast time down a-line? i havent ridden there since 07, i cant remember too much

sub 4:00 is fast.

Dec. 3, 2008, 10:31 a.m.

Would it not be like renting a bike, you would need to leave your information, and a credit card imprint or something of the sort to rent the watch. Of course they could use a stolen card if they really wanted tobut with pins now days thats getting more difficult.

No reason you can't but that wasn't thought out at Diablo apperently.

cancer curing hurricanes cock down my throat.

Dec. 5, 2008, 9:21 a.m.

Hi Guys

I am the Canadian distributor for Freelap products. We have successfully installed the system on the East coast here in Bromont this past season. It[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s obvious that Freelap equipped trails need to have specific rules to insure everyone[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s safety and the respect of other trail users. These particular trails were clearly indicated with rule and explanation boards similar to what you would find in any snow park etc.. It[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s obviously a great training and learning tool but specific guide lines needs to be implemented for high traffic areas such as Whistler Bike Park. I believe that well chosen trails and specific guide lines in place for this equipment can definitely become a very popular added feature to any Bike Park and little events like freelap jams and demo days can easily be set up!

And for retail/Demo fleets its set up the exact same way you rent out bikes and skis. You need to leave proper ID and deposit.

Don[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;t hesitate to contact me if you have any additional questions!

www.freelapCanada.com
freedom of timing

Dec. 5, 2008, 9:31 a.m.

I wonder how they handled it at Diablo, I think it was set up there all year

Freelap has specially designed systems that are installed underground for application such as MTB bike parks or MX tracks that work the exact same way has the TX junior poles with the magnetic field.

www.freelapCanada.com
freedom of timing

Dec. 5, 2008, 12:43 p.m.

thedudes new name is teh ghey.

ESC 4 Life.

I create feelings in people that they themselves don't understand.

"Perhaps it was the Noid who should have avoided me." - Mayor West

Dec. 5, 2008, 3:45 p.m.

So DHRM I think the original post suggested this at Whistler…would this be something that Freelap would approach Whistler on? ie set up the under ground poles…and riders then rent or buy watches…

I think there are a number of racers out here that would buy watches and this would be the tipping point if whistler had a system in place in the ground.

Myself and about 4 other fellow racers here in BC have toyed with buying a system each (1 watch and 2-3 poles per system). Having Whistler set up as a fixed pole system would just add to the value.

I think allot of people would buy just the watch if they knew Whistler had a permanent system in place…they could then pair up with local racers on designated race courses to share poles….

Again it has to be the right expert area on the mtn for safety…but this could increase exposure of your product…for both summer and winter…….and perhaps become more affordable for the the mtb and ski crowd if sales increased…

just a thought… :rave:

Blogging - Never before have so many people with so little to say said so much to so few.

Dec. 5, 2008, 5:45 p.m.

Yeah, I heard you old boys were into sharing each other's poles….

Wait. Sorry, wrong thread….