Freelap at Whistler

Nov. 27, 2008, 12:50 p.m.

Has the idea of installing Freelap at Whistler for the bike park ever been presented or discussed?

It would be pretty damn cool if you ask me.

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

Nov. 27, 2008, 1:11 p.m.

as in, they provide the sensor polls and you bring your own watch?
that would be a killer idea!

Life's not a bitch, Life is a beautiful woman, you just call her a bitch cause she wont let you get that pussy.

Nov. 27, 2008, 1:45 p.m.

Wow that is a killer idea. Finestone listen up!!

Nov. 27, 2008, 1:49 p.m.

If Freelap hasn't already offered Whistler a free system just to encourage purchase of the watches and adoption of the system, then their Marketing and Business development people need to be fired.

However, I can understand how Whistler might shy away from this. There's already enough clashes between dickheads racing down the trails and morons getting in way over their heads and taking it super slow. I think you'd have to have a dedicated trail.

iforonewelcome.com

Nov. 27, 2008, 2 p.m.

If Freelap hasn't already offered Whistler a free system just to encourage purchase of the watches and adoption of the system, then their Marketing and Business development people need to be fired.

However, I can understand how Whistler might shy away from this. There's already enough clashes between dickheads racing down the trails and morons getting in way over their heads and taking it super slow. I think you'd have to have a dedicated trail.

I think dedicating a couple of trails that cause the most conflict would be a great idea. The riders that possibly should not be riding the trail might be further persuading into choosing another route knowing that it's a designated freelap timed trails populated by racers/fast guys.

Nov. 27, 2008, 2:48 p.m.

I'd go and buy a watch tomorrow. Best idea I've heard in a very long time.

Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!

:safrica: - :canada:

Nov. 27, 2008, 3:01 p.m.

just stash your own poles on the side of the trail or under bridges…I did timed runs on crack addict and karate monkey last year!

Nov. 27, 2008, 3:32 p.m.

I can see issues arising on A-Line but a few dedicated trails would be oh so sweet.

If not dedicated trails, how about certain times of the day on certain trails. Have a marshal at the top of a given trail sitting there staggering riders informing them that timed runs are taking place and have a bragging board at the bottom of the trail.

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

Nov. 27, 2008, 3:39 p.m.

thedude, awesome idea

how long is an average fast time down a-line? i havent ridden there since 07, i cant remember too much

bikes:
04 norco 4by w/ 05 sherman firefly :(
07 KTM 144sx :)

I like to throw up prior to dropping into a-line. I find it makes jumping easier.

Nov. 27, 2008, 3:59 p.m.

populated by racers/fast guys.

i think you just described 90% of the people who ride whistler…

problem is on any given day, there can only be one fast guy…

on any trail, on any day, you will have someone hold you up or you will hold up someone else. it might be a flat or a mechanical or a crash and i can see someone getting really pissed because they were gonna have the best run EVER.

i'd be all for it and i think alot of people could have a great time with it, but you would always have that one dickhead who would be all pissy because they think any trail should be all for them…..and if you now labelled that trail for them, they would get even worse.

great idea but i think it would have it's problems.

one trail that shouldn't have any problems and could work would be the biker cross or dual slalom, as there is always a place to pass or you can see if someone is on the course.

Nov. 27, 2008, 4:43 p.m.

The mtn has this for skiing so it is possible but it would need to be a very specific area so that the top to bottom would not cross other trails….otherwise we get people attempting to breaking world records (in their minds..ha) and hit others at trail crossings like say mid aline…….but it would be sweet to have the times on say joyride or the DH course….

garbo could handle this as it is advanced rider turf….quick someone send a line to freelap…we can all then get watches…I would buy one today!

Blogging - Never before have so many people with so little to say said so much to so few.

Nov. 27, 2008, 8:12 p.m.

I wonder how they handled it at Diablo, I think it was set up there all year

Nov. 27, 2008, 10:06 p.m.

I wonder how they handled it at Diablo, I think it was set up there all year

Not so great apparently...

With Whistler being what it is for theft, I'd think you'd need armed guards up there.

Hey Dave, you gonna reply to my post in the trail board or what?! :P

Nov. 27, 2008, 10:09 p.m.

Not so great apparently...

With Whistler being what it is for theft, I'd think you'd need armed guards up there.

Hey Dave, you gonna reply to my post in the trail board or what?! :P

huh what on the trail board?

Nov. 28, 2008, 10:45 a.m.

The events department has access to the system and has played with it. There were discusions about installing it but no decisions were made mainly because of points already mentioned.