famous people spotted

Aug. 18, 2009, 9:04 p.m.

I rode the Peak2Peak with Spike Lee and Spike Jonez in the same day.

// What's Good // F U N E R A L // Ultramontane // DEEP SIX //

Aug. 18, 2009, 9:14 p.m.

i'm sure that's right, hell I even got the bus up the hill with demo at sfu once and he seemed like a decent kid, you wouldn't think that from his posts on here though.

Aug. 18, 2009, 9:41 p.m.

hey wheeldrop, i am actually stoked at how stoked you are on biking, its good to see but being serious for a minute, some of your posts sound like name dropping which really bugs me hence some of the tongue in cheek comments above. Everyone on here would be stoked to see the pro's, myself included, but to come on and make a point of having 2 pro's phone numbers isn't too cool. Other than that, i'm stoked that you're stoked.

wheeldrop has the stoke for mountain biking like no one else i've ever known. if you dont understand that, then i'd have to say that's your loss. he has zero attitude and kickass skill. every time i've ridden with him (ok, fairly far behind) has been a blast. maybe if you'd ridden with him, or met him, you might let go the attitude a bit. just sayin ;)

Aug. 20, 2009, 9:13 a.m.

who cares?

Who cares who cares. Here is a pic of my rig.

Aug. 20, 2009, 10:01 a.m.

Who cares who cares. Here is a pic of my rig.

I suppose the point I was proving was that I am just not the type of person who needs to live vicariously through other people to get excited about the sport. In other words, I do the riding I do because I enjoy it and I don[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;t need to watch a video to find a pro to emulate while I ride to get stoked about. I also don[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;t need to [HTML_REMOVED]#8220;live by the motto[HTML_REMOVED]#8221; of a giant corporation, that[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s exactly what they want you to do so you depend on their products. Another victim claimed by the man[HTML_REMOVED]#8230;hence my sarcastic response in the first place

Aug. 20, 2009, 10:22 a.m.

Why look down on those who like the scene?
I like watching NWD or Seasons. I like seeing dudes hucking backflips, and I like to roll a new pair of gloves. Just because you have your own issues with enjoying the whole scene, why hate on others who are more open minded? Why hate on people who aren't as uptight as you. Because they're sheep? Or maybe they found something they enjoy.

Life's too short to worry about what people like you think.

Aug. 20, 2009, 11:10 a.m.

it wasn't hate man…it was just a comment. This is an online forum, which is based on it's members opinions - that means you get to deal with "dicks" like myself. I'm just representing the average bike bum like myself who wears free/handed down gear and doesn't care about the hype. or are we not allowed in whistler?

Aug. 20, 2009, 11:27 a.m.

Honestly, no worries man, and no hard feelings.
:cool:

I have nothing but respect for the dudes on Whistler with 5-6 year old bikes, stickered out and beat down. Those are the riders who love the sport for what it is. Not like the newbs on CIU last week with brand new GT bikes, and a complete lack of skill. I remember those kinds of dudes from my days of snowboarding. Standing there looking cool. So yeah, I can see your view, because I've been there. But now I'm at a level where I can afford to pick out a new jersey that I love, or sit with buddie's to watch NWD on dvd. It's a good feeling when you realize it's not just the riding that so many of us love, it's the life. My best friends are also my riding buddies. Hell, our kids ride together.

I have a buddy who isn't very financially secure right now, and we try to help him out as much as we can. Need a new fork, I have a spare. You have no gloves? Wear my extras till you can get some. Hell, he blew out his DHX shock the other day, so I gave him my spare.

That's what it's all about. Not about the cool clothes you wear, but just getting out there.
The cool gear is like the icing on the cake. Everyone loves cake, right?

:lol:

Aug. 20, 2009, 11:34 a.m.

hey wilkez did you get the hypa neg rep "dick" too? :) as you say there was no hate in any of those comments, its a public forum and if you post something, not everyone is going to agree. Most of us on here also love riding our bikes, also enjoy watching the dvd's, getting new gear, riding new places, even meeting pro riders.

But I'm a big believer that you shouldn't have to justify yourself to anyone, so I don't have to list all my achievements to show people I'm stoked on biking, its not a competition. I don't have to justify why i bought the bike I ride or the car i have… so when someone makes a post with all these things… like met this guy, did 250 runs, have 2 pro's phone numbers… and those are all cool things but its like WTF! why the need to tell everyone here? It comes across at least to those that don't know you as attention seeking… sure tell your buddies at the bar yeah, but here, hmmmm?

All my opinion, feel free to disagree. Anyways, no hate here, everyone enjoy you riding whether it be a quick blast after work once a week or 250 whistler runs in a season.

Aug. 20, 2009, 12:11 p.m.

hey wilkez did you get the hypa neg rep "dick" too? :)

like met this guy, did 250 runs, have 2 pro's phone numbers… and those are all cool things but its like WTF! why the need to tell everyone here? It comes across at least to those that don't know you as attention seeking… sure tell your buddies at the bar yeah, but here, hmmmm?

Yes I did. But it's a fairly valid comment - I am a dick, so whatever. If it wasn't for people like me the world would be boring!

And that is exactly what I was trying to say. But since we are talking about that, I should metion that I have actually BEEN in a video (back in the saddle…ok maybe it was just a clip of me eating shit at the guildford dirt jumps but whatever), my trail has been in NSX vids, and I was also in a promo video for sugoi (they saw me riding at whistler and told me they would pay me 25 bucks an hour and buy me a lift pass to ride for their video so I couldn't say no to that). so next time you're counting up the not-so-famous people you know and posting it on nsmb, add me to the list!

Aug. 20, 2009, 12:38 p.m.

Sweet!
I once argued with a semi-famous dude on the internet!

:lol:

PS: I didn't neg rep shit. Those must be old.

Aug. 20, 2009, 12:38 p.m.

I've met alot of "famous" people in my 25+ years of riding bicycles, starting in BMX guys like Bob Haro and Mike Dominguez, Eddie Fiola and Ron Wilkinson

then mountain biking, the Kona Clump, Wade, Digger, Gully, Bender, Vanderham, Shaums March, Peaty, Warner, etc.

well, these guys were famous within the world of push bikes, but in the outside world, who would know them from adam?

this is one of my favourite photos because it reminds me of my first trip to CANADA, damn I was stoked to be on the mountain, and meeting great riders left, right and centre

I'm leading Bender, my buddy Rob B and Joe Schwartz down Garbanzo

met alot of industry people over the years too, its all good, everyone loves bikes here!!

Mythic / Da Kine / Esher Shore / Freeborn

http://hampsteadbandit.blogspot.com/

Aug. 20, 2009, 12:43 p.m.

PS: I didn't neg rep shit. Those must be old.

see attached

Aug. 20, 2009, 12:57 p.m.

I was at a trailday and Digger handed me food while Wade handed me a cold beverage. Then the builder from Boundary got me liquored on some homemade Kalua. Another awsome Fromme day!

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

Aug. 20, 2009, 1:31 p.m.

dan barham took pictures of me, does that make me famous?