Exile on Steel St.

Aug. 25, 2014, 4:38 p.m.

Stuck my GPS track (recorded with an actual GPS unit with a proper aerial) in Google Earth and it calculates about 2600m climbed and 75km traveled… for what it's worth.

Aug. 25, 2014, 4:41 p.m.

Paging Flip, we need your proper map skills to know what the real distance and vert was. edit. Mandarin settles it :)

If you saw me around the Nudey dock you saw a zombie. I had a big breakfast and had planned to get more fuel at Alpine cafe after Side 1. Turns out I forgot my wallet in the car and figured I would just push on and eat after Side 2. I had lots of water and a flask of whiskey and thought it was no biggie. On the Foreplay descent I was seeing stars, on the verge of a serious bonk. When I got to the Comfortably Numb section in the disc golf course and the trail does a little climb I looked down and say lost lake gravel path. Stopped dead in my track picked up my bike and walked downhill to the gravel. It was that or curl up and die.

Scarfed down all the food my lovely girlfriend had for me at the dock then off to get more food. Caught a second wind and felt fine the rest of the ride. If it had not been for Maya bringing me food at the dock I think I would have just rolled into the Lost Lake beach and started raiding beach goers food like some crazed drunken zombie.

Aug. 25, 2014, 10:04 p.m.

No chamois could have helped by the end of your ride… :rocker:

I didn't have a chamois. I had to stand up pretty much from Yummy Numby onwards unless I was on a road or pathway. Talk about bad decisions.

Amazed to see the numbers. If I knew them before the event I never would have shown up. Quite happy I made it through the day with not much more than a sore taint and a skinned knuckle (and quite shattered of course).

Aug. 26, 2014, 8:25 a.m.

Posting from revy after a sweet sunset frisby ridge with the lady last night…

I left my house at 8am and got home at 8pm, rode round trip + all bonuses, strava can be suspect for sure but I was 85km an 2800m of climbing. I had a day of the year for sure, no cramping, ride almost everything an still had decent legs towards the end, although I was def zombie mode on Sunday! Such a rad event!!

Aug. 27, 2014, 12:49 a.m.

…I didn't realize the Chromag crew were quite so XC oriented and was surprised the timed sections were all very XC and the bonuses were for extra pain and suffering; would have loved to have seen some optional hairball lines get bonus cards as well, and one timed DH only section…

most friday rides are 4-6 hrs, hard climbing and hard descending, but anything goes. this was a tony horn race, so everything was twice as long and hard as you'd like it to be!

Aug. 27, 2014, 9:13 a.m.

Jaw = dropped. I'm buying a frame so I can go next year!

Next year? It was a 10th Anniversary ride, might have to wait another 10 years.