European Bike Parks?

Sept. 14, 2008, 4:19 a.m.

From a UK perspective I'd forget trying to find anything like BC. The best riding the UK really has is in Wales. Get yourself something that pedals and visit some of the Bike Centres like Coed Y Brenin. Chicksands or somewhere similar is going to be a major disappointment.

Sept. 14, 2008, 10:32 a.m.

yes, best one would be if you stay in the wallis area in switzerland, there you have access to the bikeparks in bellwald, verbier, crans montana, pds, and the many lift accessed hiking trails in this area like in zermatt (matterhorn!!), bettmeralp, nax (brasilian trail) and many more…

Totally agree!
Just returned from a week of riding in Verbier…fabulous riding with seemingly endless downhills AND rode the Brazilien - has to be one of the best trails I have ridden! (even when you take into account the 30 to 40 minute very steep hike-a-bike up to the Col at 2500 metres). Completely toasted a set of brake pads on that descent.

Sept. 17, 2008, 5:35 a.m.

Chicksands or somewhere similar is going to be a major disappointment

I don't see how Chicksands could be a disappointment?

Its got a great 4X track, a neat dual track, lots of short DH runs with jumps and hips, a great selection of different sized dirt jump lines and some elevated timber stuff to mess around on, and its got a good atmosphere and lots of friendly people to ride with

more than enough to keep you busy for a day….

Mythic / Da Kine / Esher Shore / Freeborn

http://hampsteadbandit.blogspot.com/

Sept. 18, 2008, 12:09 p.m.

Chicksands or somewhere similar is going to be a major disappointment

I don't see how Chicksands could be a disappointment?

Its got a great 4X track, a neat dual track, lots of short DH runs with jumps and hips, a great selection of different sized dirt jump lines and some elevated timber stuff to mess around on, and its got a good atmosphere and lots of friendly people to ride with

more than enough to keep you busy for a day….

All things are relative. If you've grown up Mountain Biking in BC, I don't see how you could get excited by Chicksands. I'm not having a go at anyone because the guys at Chicksands have done a fantastic job with what is available but the longest run there takes how many seconds to ride? It's a good place to go in the UK, no doubt but that just shows how bad the riding is here especially in this side of the country.

Sept. 18, 2008, 12:19 p.m.

its a valid point, and one we have heard many times from riders at Esher Shore

they say "its too easy", "there is no challenge" but when you watch them ride the trails, they are hanging up all the gaps, sketching the drops, basically riding with no style and not doing tricks on any of the stunts…too easy? hmmmm

and then you get someone like Wade (simmons) turn up and blow the local riders minds with his tech moves, hell we spent over an hour riding a "blue" trail together backwards and he had a big grin on his face the whole time ;)

Chicksands is not known for long DH runs, because there aren't any..but their multiple packs of DJs are very well built and should keep any DJ rider happy, and the quality of their 4X track is very good and would keep a 4X racer / rider more than happy

its all really about what you do with what you have..

Mythic / Da Kine / Esher Shore / Freeborn

http://hampsteadbandit.blogspot.com/

Sept. 18, 2008, 4:24 p.m.

My favorite "bike park" is Lago di Garda, they even have a gondola in Malcesine but all the other xc rides are amazing too. There is soooooo much terrain around this lake. IMO this is the best spot in Europe.

:germany: http://oppelshausen.de

Sept. 20, 2008, 4:29 a.m.

its all really about what you do with what you have..

I totally agree, and I really hope I wasn't sounding like I was criticising any of the people that have worked their nuts off building Chicksands.

Sept. 20, 2008, 7:47 a.m.

Let me dig through my Singletrack archives. I recall there being a bunch of less known yet good locations.

Though you gotta keep in mind that Whistler is the bike park standard for everyone now. The ski resort locations in Europe are playing catch up. Alot of them are more known for their super long DH runs.

I believe there is a location in Norway.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/