Current Whistler Conditions...

Aug. 9, 2006, 11:36 a.m.

I offered my nutz to the rain gods.

They answered with rain and gave me my nutz back.

Nice. :)

… good.. bad.. I'm the guy with the gun.

Aug. 9, 2006, 5:59 p.m.

tacky and moist, And best of all the dust is gone!

Aug. 13, 2006, 9:34 p.m.

Still no dust (or very little) Original Sin is in the best shape that its EVER been, IMHO. No lines on Garbo all day. Sure, Goat's Gully has been dumbed down a bit, but holy crap, is that section ever fun now. Fast and techy. Gooood times!

I learned the hard way to towel off my bike before the dog. I'd rather have a slightly oily dog than a hairy bike.

Beautiful west coast, ocean inspired pottery.

Aug. 14, 2006, 10:19 a.m.

Yesterday was one of the best days I've ever had up there. No dust, tacky trails, sunny skies and managable lines. (None on Garbo)
Props to the trail crew for all the work this week. Last week was as bad as I've ever seen it, this week it was almost as good as I've ever seen it. I could not beleive how well A-Line had been patched up. Much Respect.
On another note, What's the deal with Sidetrack? I think it is the only trail I've never tried because it's never been open.

Aug. 17, 2006, 1:20 p.m.

Anyone up today, how are the conditions?… I'll be up tomorrow.

Felt like riding alone this morning up at Garbo. Nice and smooth.

Enjoy :)

… good.. bad.. I'm the guy with the gun.

Aug. 18, 2006, 3:01 p.m.

We will make this report quick and to the point
If you have ridden up here in the last week, you would have experienced some of the best riding conditions in some time. It's amazing what a bit of rain will do for the trails. Rain is not enough to get the trails in shape, but the trail crew has been super busy with the maintenance. The overnight temperatures drop down to 5 degrees Celsius, which means that we get moisture on the trails at night and the riding in the morning in nice and cool. You might have also noticed that we have had a lot of closures and/or detours in the bike park due to the VANOC work. It is what it is and our crews have dealt with it as best as they could. We apologize for the inconveniences, but we are happy to report that most of the work in the lower park will be done soon and most of our trails will be open this weekend. Our resident battle axe, Peter Jean, whose job is to liaison between the Bike Park and VANOC to make sure that our operation runs as smooth as possible given the amount of construction, has prepared the following trail report:
As of: 060818.

Open Friday @ 10:00 A.M.

All of A-Line: Zones 1-5

Lower Angry Pirate

Crabapple Hits

Easy does it connector to Zone 3 A-Line

Lower easy does it @ Zone 5: both summer road section and the S turns.

Open for Saturday @ 10:00 A.M.

HoChiMin: All

World Cup Single Track

Closed For Monday Aug 21 @ 7:00 A.M.

No Joke: below Bearcub (falling for Women

TomPro

Aug. 18, 2006, 3:06 p.m.

Will be unable to make it to the "last ride" but No Joke will be missed! Until next year…

tear!

Dan

www.steedcycles.com

Aug. 18, 2006, 3:56 p.m.

part of no joke closed? i'm really beginning to hate the olympics :mad:

Aug. 18, 2006, 11:08 p.m.

part of no joke closed? i'm really beginning to hate the olympics :mad:

Don't hate the Olympics. Now we have to build a new trail and that will be good. keep a possitive vibe.

TomPro

Aug. 19, 2006, 9:13 a.m.

But if No Joke is closed below Bear Cub, how could we join Freigh Train?
Freigh Train will be open for the rest of the season?

Aug. 19, 2006, 3:10 p.m.

Frieght train is still open, you just have to take Bear Cub to the Red Chair or In Deep to the containers.

Aug. 19, 2006, 3:44 p.m.

But if No Joke is closed below Bear Cub, how could we join Freigh Train?
Freigh Train will be open for the rest of the season?

When you come out of Goat's Gully, stay on Bear Cub and it will take you to Creekside Mid Station and Freight Train. That will stay open for the rest of the year and should experience only minor closures in the future. Or as Whisler 110 said, go into In Deep and at the bottom of the rockdrop/g-out section where Fatcrobat goes right, hang a left and that trail will take you to the containers and Freight Train.

TomPro

Aug. 25, 2006, 1:40 p.m.

The other day, I spent most of the morning in meetings which were important, but I kept looking out the window at the mountains most of the time, day dreaming. It brought back memories of High School. My phone was on vibrate and it was going off, so I knew that the messages were piling up. Right after the meetings, I grabbed my bike and headed up Garbanzo. I stopped on Original Sin at the rock bluff with the picnic table and the spectacular view down the valley and dealt with my messages. Of course I had to call people back, so got to rub in where my office was located and the view I was enjoying. The best one was Naz from Marzocchi. He called me a few choice names after I told him where I was hanging out. It took me about half hour to take care of business and then I cruised down Original Sin. My stress was gone and the feeling of riding was almost therapeutic.
If you are trying to decide on how to spend a relaxing weekend, I would recommend riding Garbanzo. Sure, No Joke is gone and we are still sad about that, but if you take your time and enjoy the views, the riding up there is great. Of course, if you want to pin it, that is good too. The morning air has a bit of a bite to it and you can feel that the fall is just around the corner. You might need a long sleeve jersey for the ride up. Don't forget that to get to Upper Freight Train, you will need to stay on Bear Cub after Goat's Gully to get back to Creekside Mid Station. If you want to get to Lower Freight Train, stay on Original Sin into In Deep and hang a left after the Triple Step. At this point you can hang a right and go down Fatcrobat to Too Tight or D1. These are all great lines and if you have never been up there, hook up with people that know the trails and go for it. Most of the hard sections have ridearounds.
In the lower park, I would sample Crank It Up as we will have more of the trail open. This has been one of the most difficult builds we have ever done. We apologize for the delays and appreciate everyone's patience.
A-Line and Dirt Merchant are getting constant attention from our Trail Crews, and even though the weather is very dry, these favorites are in good shape. Be careful riding Dirt Merchant in the late afternoon. The late sun can temporarily impair your vision on the first step-ups and step-downs.
As the sun is setting earlier now, so we have moved the closing time up to 7:30pm. This is so that we can do our sweep before darkness sets in. The Air Dome is still open until 8:00pm. If you have a DJ bike and you have not been to the Air Dome yet, you have to give it a try. It's the most fun since the invention of the water bed. You can safely work on that trick that you have always been scared to try on dirt.
Magic Chair is open until September 4th, so introduce someone to mountain biking. This the perfect place to start.
Beers are cold at the GLC. See you up here.

TomPro

Aug. 27, 2006, 12:09 p.m.

you always make me feeling sad after i finished to read your reports Tom… whhhyyyy wwwhhhyyyyy???? please, i wana go back "home"…

WE DESIGN I WE BUILD = YOU ENJOY

Aug. 27, 2006, 7:36 p.m.

What made crank it up one of the hardest trails you have built?