Current conditions

June 20, 2011, 6:14 p.m.

I don't get it. Did they put a ramp down the big GLC?

June 20, 2011, 6:21 p.m.

They dirted it to the top.

June 20, 2011, 7:46 p.m.

dude, the GLC drop is many things but "BIG" isn't one of them. I trust the folks at whistler know what the hell they are doing and are changing trails to meet demand. Hopefully the buzz over fade to black will tell them that "MORE PEOPLE WANT HIGHER LEVEL, TECHNICAL STUNTS WITH CONSEQUENCES IF YOU DON'T MAKE IT"

I'm not joe pro rider or anything but I have yet to find anything in the park that I won't clear with relative ease. MAybe I need to look for the more "hidden" trails or something but in most other riding areas there is at least something that I won't hit.

You are right ,so why did they lower the lever and make it a smooth highway with no consequences. I have been ridin the park forever and takin alot of people there and the first goal for most is to hit the big GLC(i know its not big but that is its' name).

Siobhan, you nailed it. Mountain biking is not a sport you want beginners and experts in the same area. Everyone has stories of beginners rolling down A-line why? cuz you can roll everthing. That is why people like DM. The rock drop step up section keeps biginners away. My wife loves A-line but i never take her down DM.

June 21, 2011, 12:10 a.m.

You are right ,so why did they lower the lever and make it a smooth highway with no consequences. I have been ridin the park forever and takin alot of people there and the first goal for most is to hit the big GLC(i know its not big but that is its' name).

Siobhan, you nailed it. Mountain biking is not a sport you want beginners and experts in the same area. Everyone has stories of beginners rolling down A-line why? cuz you can roll everthing. That is why people like DM. The rock drop step up section keeps biginners away. My wife loves A-line but i never take her down DM.

IMO GLC has always been a short and flat feature. even if you pre air out of the corner, it's still flat down there regardless if there is dirt or rocks below you or not. there's no room to make it "big" or difficult. the new 4x on the other hand, now that is running SICK!… super poppy transfers and a big smooth step down up top and fun airs the whole way… instead of GLC they should tie lower a-line into lookers right side of the slopestyle course… a table with a tunnel that you can air over the intermediate lines that go to GLC zone and then a hip into bottom slopestyle tranny… just my .02… props to park diggers, lots of stuff is running pretty sick right now!…

June 21, 2011, 4:10 p.m.

Hmm the GLC drop looks odd yeah….. but at least everyone can enjoy it regardless of skill/guts. Hit it hard you're still going far like previous seasons or take it easy and roll down it….. not sure how I feel about that. I saw a few guys wash out on the drop last year so maybe its a safety issue?

June 21, 2011, 4:35 p.m.

DAMMIT thats no fun. I always save one thing for the end of the year that I want to do thats out of my comfort zone. It was going to be the bigger GLC drop last year but I gave myself a concision on the last weekend of the 2010 season and couldn't ride.

I was going to start the season with it this year, but now it's a roller. boo I guess I'll go find something else.

June 21, 2011, 5:31 p.m.

DAMMIT thats no fun. I always save one thing for the end of the year that I want to do thats out of my comfort zone. It was going to be the bigger GLC drop last year but I gave myself a concision on the last weekend of the 2010 season and couldn't ride.

I was going to start the season with it this year, but now it's a roller. boo I guess I'll go find something else.

It's no different if you hit it at rolling speed from the last corner. You'll still land in the same spot. It's always sucked so I'm cool with extra dirt for the masses.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

June 21, 2011, 5:34 p.m.

the biker cross is awesome this year, a mans course for sure, love that they brought back the step up step down…..

mtbskierdad

June 21, 2011, 6:30 p.m.

The biker X course is hefty. Looking forward to being able to clean it. So far I can manage maybe the first 3 or 4 jumps, then the stepdown freaks me out. :|

June 21, 2011, 6:42 p.m.

The biker X course is hefty. Looking forward to being able to clean it. So far I can manage maybe the first 3 or 4 jumps, then the stepdown freaks me out. :|

that jump to corner before the big stepdown needs to be altered a bit, its almost uphill, with no real berm left….

mtbskierdad

June 21, 2011, 8:51 p.m.

that jump to corner before the big stepdown needs to be altered a bit, its almost uphill, with no real berm left….

Agreed that little transfer needs a bit of tweaking.

Best Biker-X ever though!

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

June 22, 2011, 9:20 a.m.

it's definitely up hill… most threw a pedal or two into that stepdown due to that corner… if i remember the step down is quite similar to last year except they dug it out a big… instead of the fade away

June 22, 2011, 9:25 a.m.

Loving the biker cross course, really it's just lots of big airs which I like.

Schleyer was running good on sunday, so was lower whistler downhill.

Aline is in Great shape.

IMO the big GLC has never been that great, landing is too flat, I'm guessing they tamed it down because way too many people have hurt themselves on it, I've seen way too many nasty crashes on that drop in the little time I have spent at the bike park.

Aline - Samurai Pizza Cat - Ho Chi Min - 4X was run of the weekend for me. Did it several times.

June 22, 2011, 12:11 p.m.

The new GLC is pretty good. The pre-jump is still there, and now you can go further and lander flatter. Manly stuff.

June 22, 2011, 12:51 p.m.

go moar further and lander moar flatter

:rocker:

The middle GLC actually looks like more of a drop then the "big" one.