Current conditions

June 19, 2011, 11:22 p.m.

what is the thinking behind the not so big GLC drop? i watched 5 ladies on rental bikes roll it today.

June 20, 2011, 6:50 a.m.

what is the thinking behind the not so big GLC drop? i watched 5 ladies on rental bikes roll it today.

So? God forbid ladies on rental bikes have the opportunity to enjoy themselves! Blasphemy!

June 20, 2011, 10:15 a.m.

I did not like how Clownshoe's drop [HTML_REMOVED] coaster was tamed .
Listen to the riders do not lose tech if every trail turns new school .
The riders will go else were .This mountain is famous for its layout and gnar .
Build more trails if you want diversity do not change the crowd pleasers.

WORD. I loved clown shoes even though for some reason it is hard for me to find the beginning of it. I hadn't ridden it in years and sought it ought two weeks ago just to do that drop at the end. When I finally got there I was like WTF? they totally pussed it up. It was half the size. Oh well, its falling apart anyways. It was actually roped off but it is still rideable. Bummer that skinnies have gone out of fancy. IMO they are a great skill builder.

insert catchy phrase here.

June 20, 2011, 10:20 a.m.

The big GLC drop is still big..it is also little now if you want. Nice progressive feature.

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

June 20, 2011, 10:25 a.m.

- Don't bother with Dirt Merchant yet. It's a mess.

Dirty Merchant was pretty good on Sunday. Things dried out huge from Saturday morning.

A-Line was flowing beautiful.

B-Line to Ninja Cougar to Lower A-Line was the lap of the weekend for our group. A perfect mix for everyone.

June 20, 2011, 10:37 a.m.

So? God forbid ladies on rental bikes have the opportunity to enjoy themselves! Blasphemy!

Oh, I hate those ladies with rental bikes. Always showing me up [HTML_REMOVED] everything.

Thread killer

June 20, 2011, 10:41 a.m.

Dirty Merchant was pretty good on Sunday. Things dried out huge from Saturday morning.

Do you still enter DM through EZDI? How's the bridge part now? Is it still a major flow killer?

June 20, 2011, 11:11 a.m.

Do you still enter DM through EZDI? How's the bridge part now? Is it still a major flow killer?

Yes and yes. Bridge is still out, and the go around is a definite flow killer.

There are definite changes going on. At first it was a bit jarring, but I think I see what is happening. Easy trails are getting easier, harder trails harder. A-Line is still not an easy trail, but there is so much traffic on the GLC that it was made a bit more accessible for everybody. You can still go big off of it - maybe bigger than before, but you can also roll it (if you are a lady on a rental bike).

At the same time trails like Schleyer are becoming more technical. The fact that the wooden drop is now gone bugged me at first, but I think I get it now. There is still a drop there, but it is now a technical feature more than a straight forward huck. If you want bigger stunts, go to Fade to Black - which is an awesome trail. Personally, I like the new stuff. B-Line is actually fun now.

June 20, 2011, 11:36 a.m.

There are definite changes going on. At first it was a bit jarring, but I think I see what is happening. Easy trails are getting easier, harder trails harder.

^^^^ This.

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

June 20, 2011, 12:21 p.m.

At the same time trails like Schleyer are becoming more technical. The fact that the wooden drop is now gone bugged me at first, but I think I get it now.

Is this the wooden drop that was at the end of the trail that was replaced last year? Or are you talking about the wooden drop under the Fitz chair?

If it's the latter, what did they end up doing?

June 20, 2011, 12:32 p.m.

Is this the wooden drop that was at the end of the trail that was replaced last year? Or are you talking about the wooden drop under the Fitz chair?

If it's the latter, what did they end up doing?

The wooden drop under Fitz is gone.

I think it's a work in progress as the corner leading into the new dirt transition is pretty slow making it difficult to carry proper speed into it. Or you can roll the right hand side.

June 20, 2011, 1:04 p.m.

lol missed the point. 2/3 of the lower mountain is great for people just starting out. i don't think they need to increase that. Was there too many people crashing while people watching and eating?

June 20, 2011, 1:56 p.m.

The big GLC drop is still big..it is also little now if you want. Nice progressive feature.

i see your point. i guess the progressive feature has changed. It was roll down middle then big, now i guess its either roll down then middle.

June 20, 2011, 2:25 p.m.

dude, the GLC drop is many things but "BIG" isn't one of them. I trust the folks at whistler know what the hell they are doing and are changing trails to meet demand. Hopefully the buzz over fade to black will tell them that "MORE PEOPLE WANT HIGHER LEVEL, TECHNICAL STUNTS WITH CONSEQUENCES IF YOU DON'T MAKE IT"

I'm not joe pro rider or anything but I have yet to find anything in the park that I won't clear with relative ease. MAybe I need to look for the more "hidden" trails or something but in most other riding areas there is at least something that I won't hit.

insert catchy phrase here.

June 20, 2011, 2:41 p.m.

I think people rolling the big GLC pose a safety hazard. I saw lots of people going really slow and actually standing on it for some time. When other riders are coming into that with the speed necessary to huck it, I think you have the stage for a nasty collision. I will qualify this by saying that I am a lady (not on a rental bike ;)) and have never actually done the big GLC.
Not a huge fan of the changes to Schleyer. I loved the wooden ramp. I thought it was the perfect progressive feature on a trail that's often ridden by riders that don't like to get their wheels too high off the ground, but enjoy technical trails. I rolled the new line yesterday and I imagine that it won't last long due to erosion.
Anyway, it's my first year with a bike park pass and overall I absolutely love it and am thoroughly addicted.

Riding is more fun than not riding