Crankworx Canadian Open Enduro. Sounds masochistic, who's in?

June 20, 2012, 11:50 a.m.

Anyone doing this race? Weird that the longest dh isn't the Garbo race, but one that's 4th in succession and using xc/am bikes.

Anyone done it? What's it like.

What bike are you using? Anyone knw how they work the bike checks? Am I crazy to consider doing the Garbo dh the next day?

So many questions are probably the result of nerves. Am I insane to consider racing this at all? Are you crazy enough?

iforonewelcome.com

June 20, 2012, 11:59 a.m.

Anyone doing this race? Weird that the longest dh isn't the Garbo race, but one that's 4th in succession and using xc/am bikes.

Anyone done it? What's it like.

What bike are you using? Anyone knw how they work the bike checks? Am I crazy to consider doing the Garbo dh the next day?

So many questions are probably the result of nerves. Am I insane to consider racing this at all? Are you crazy enough?

it's fine and not as bad as you think, which reminds me, I need to sign up!

June 20, 2012, 11:28 p.m.

Yeah it's just an enduro race, nothing crazy

June 20, 2012, 11:34 p.m.

although I will bitch here about crank it up being included as a stage. Such a shitty trail to race on, especially on little bikes…it's way too easy to mega overshoot transitions, and it gets rather dangerous. I'd rather race on pretty much any other trail in the park. It's a poor choice for toonies, it's a poor choice for phat wednesdays, it isn't a race trail and shouldn't be used as one.

June 21, 2012, 1:25 a.m.

Hell to the yeah! I can't wait for this. It will be my first foray into the realm of the enduro.

With regards to the one bike rule, if you pinch a tube or slash a tire, does that exclude you from being eligible to finish the race?

June 21, 2012, 7:07 a.m.

How many people enter this race?

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

June 21, 2012, 9:27 a.m.

Yeah it's just an enduro race, nothing crazy

Do all Enduro races push 9000 vertical feet of down?

iforonewelcome.com

June 21, 2012, 11:20 a.m.

I'm more of a sadist. But maybe they're looking for vollies?

June 21, 2012, 11:27 a.m.

although I will bitch here about crank it up being included as a stage. Such a shitty trail to race on, especially on little bikes…it's way too easy to mega overshoot transitions, and it gets rather dangerous. I'd rather race on pretty much any other trail in the park. It's a poor choice for toonies, it's a poor choice for phat wednesdays, it isn't a race trail and shouldn't be used as one.

this is what has been keeping me from signing up. last night was scary. how much better would ninja, karate, del boca vista, ez does it aline, pedal to HOD and HOD out…

(in all reality anything would be better, but above sounds so perfect for a little bike, even last years WC, HCM, HOD was 10 times better than CIU)

June 21, 2012, 11:50 a.m.

this is what has been keeping me from signing up. last night was scary. how much better would ninja, karate, del boca vista, ez does it aline, pedal to HOD and HOD out…

(in all reality anything would be better, but above sounds so perfect for a little bike, even last years WC, HCM, HOD was 10 times better than CIU)

fully agree…I talked to Seb about it last night and apparently that's what Richie wanted to use, and it's 'easy' to have a race on it since it's isolated…I registered my displeasure! :)

June 22, 2012, 12:19 a.m.

Do all Enduro races push 9000 vertical feet of down?

they do that before morning tea in france.
i don't think much of the course selection either but last year was still a fun event.

there's been a lot of talk about an enduro series in the corridor. there's so much potential.

June 22, 2012, 10:13 a.m.

i wonder if we can voice concerns over the course to anyone? I mean it is kind of a safety concern racing a trail like CIU.

would be in for any enduro races in the corridor (especially if they dont cost 150 a race)

June 22, 2012, 10:26 a.m.

I don't see what all the fuss is about. It would be more of an issue as a later stage when mistakes could be made while airborn, but as long as you've ridden it ahead of time and know what to expect it should be fine for any racer.

I think having CIU adds some great variety to the event, and a distinct Whistler flair. It may not be typical but it should be fun and it certainly fits well with the Crankwox vibe.

iforonewelcome.com

June 22, 2012, 11:31 a.m.

I don't see what all the fuss is about. It would be more of an issue as a later stage when mistakes could be made while airborn, but as long as you've ridden it ahead of time and know what to expect it should be fine for any racer.

I think having CIU adds some great variety to the event, and a distinct Whistler flair. It may not be typical but it should be fun and it certainly fits well with the Crankwox vibe.

I get what you're saying, but as someone who has raced down that trail (and even won masters phat wed once on it) many times in xc's, dh's, etc, it isn't a good race trail. It's fun to ride, it's really scary to race…especially on fast rolling, lightweight am rigs which cause massive overshooting on pretty much every jump. I dunno, to me it's an average trail that isn't really worthy of an event like they're trying to put on. I'll still enter and compete on it regardless, but I think they could do a hell of a lot better and way more interesting.

June 22, 2012, 11:52 a.m.

Its a good trail for beginners who are trying to get comfortable in the air. thats about it. its full of shitty braking bumps in shitty places (And come august, on a little bike - good fkn luck)and tables that are far too small for the pace that almost everyone who races the enduro will be trying to hit them at. at least on a big rig you can absorb some of those landings, and some of the brake bumps.

put it this way, i've ridden ciu 3 times this year, once in a toonie, once in phat wednesday, and once about 5 minutes before they shut it down prior to phat wednesday commencing for a look at what i was supposed to race on.