Crankworx and baby/toddler- bad idea?

Aug. 6, 2010, 8:48 a.m.

So for the first time it looks like I'll actually be able to make it to Crankworx for the slopestyle competition, but we'll have a two year old and one month old with us. No problem for a usual Saturday day trip, but is it too nuts during slopestyle to bother? It's probably not worth all the crying if we're just stuck in traffic jams in/out of the village or looking for parking, but if we're not stuck in the car it will be fine.

Any advice would be appreciated, cheers!

Aug. 6, 2010, 9:16 a.m.

Blacks has a family friendly lower patio if you get there early enough. We watched with a 1yr old in a stroller from there last year.

Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Aug. 6, 2010, 9:56 a.m.

My son has been there at 3 and 15 months old and we had a great time. Going there with a baby or toddler is no worse than anywhere else. TWO kids sounds like a handful but again, no worse than anywhere else.

iforonewelcome.com

Aug. 6, 2010, 10:29 a.m.

Birth control. Look into it.

Wrong. Always.

Aug. 6, 2010, 10:29 a.m.

I go out with my kids (3 and 1) all the time, get one of those baby backpack carriers and ditch the stroller. If your 2 year old doesn't walk very well yet you might need a second pack for your significant other. I handle the 3 year old and the 1 year old by myself just fine though, I was at Arduum, the North Shore Bike Fest and I'll most likely be at Crankworx too.

alright!!!

Aug. 6, 2010, 10:30 a.m.

But on a serious note, I've got 3 little tykes and we plan on being there to raise hell.

Wrong. Always.

Aug. 6, 2010, 10:36 a.m.

Thanks- the village/crowds are fine, just worried about being stuck in the car not moving (the worst fear of anyone with young kids). Is traffic/parking situation okay, we'll just be coming up for the day

Aug. 6, 2010, 11:45 a.m.

Thanks- the village/crowds are fine, just worried about being stuck in the car not moving (the worst fear of anyone with young kids). Is traffic/parking situation okay, we'll just be coming up for the day

That's our biggest issue when I bring my 3 kids up.
There's a lot one can do though. Books, healthy snacks, water, and a dvd player never hurts. Once there, they have a blast. There's so much going on, and so many cool things to see and do, that they love it. For parking, like anything, get there early. Due to the trade show, and sheer number of day travelers up there, parking fills quick.

On a side note, that new light at Brittania Beach is a scourge. You can get stuck there for an hour before getting past the fiving thing.

:flame:

Aug. 6, 2010, 12:05 p.m.

I'm bringing my two year old. I left her at home last year with grandma for 4 days and I missed her so much I drove down every night to put her to bed and drove back up! Crazy I know. This year I am bringing her for the four days (its a busy time up there for my other half so he can't really help) and have enticed Grandma with a rented condo and a pool so mama can see the events, and let off a little steam.

I think there is lots for the kids to see and enjoy. Just don't lose them in the crowd!

on another note, whenever we ride the park, we trade off on runs with the toddler. I wish there was a play area closer to the bike park than the one down at the other end of the village. I looked into daycare up there if we wanted to ride together, and there is one in the winter for skiers, but nothing for summer. There's money to be made there somewhere.

Aug. 6, 2010, 12:27 p.m.

I looked into daycare up there if we wanted to ride together, and there is one in the winter for skiers, but nothing for summer. There's money to be made there somewhere.

There is a babysitting service in Whistler called http://www.babysittingwhistler.com/#

Me and my wife used them last year for an afternoon in the bike park. They were great.

Aug. 6, 2010, 2:45 p.m.

Crazy I know.

Is it crazy that I don't think that's crazy at all?

:lol:

Me and my wife used them last year for an afternoon in the bike park. They were great.

Good to know.
I was going to give them a try a few weeks ago so the wife and I could grab some GLC brews together, but we weren't sure about them without any references to go by.

All I know is that I have to bring all their bikes so they can ride the pump track and kids area near the d/j's. With all the money a family can spend keeping the kids busy, a free bike area for them to play is a breath of fresh air.

Aug. 6, 2010, 4:22 p.m.

i live here and my son will be staying with his grandparents at least for slopestyle and prob as well for best trick and such, just not worth the trouble

here to ride but i'm to busy building

Aug. 6, 2010, 4:38 p.m.

That's our biggest issue when I bring my 3 kids up.
There's a lot one can do though. Books, healthy snacks, water, and a dvd player never hurts. Once there, they have a blast. There's so much going on, and so many cool things to see and do, that they love it. For parking, like anything, get there early. Due to the trade show, and sheer number of day travelers up there, parking fills quick.

On a side note, that new light at Brittania Beach is a scourge. You can get stuck there for an hour before getting past the fiving thing.

:flame:

Have you tried yelling out at the top of your lungs "Be quiet or I'm turning this car around!"

ya… that never works…

alright!!!

Aug. 6, 2010, 5:45 p.m.

will be bringing my 6 month old to Slopestyle, she'll be watching daddy race the Air DH too, gonna park at base 2 for the Saturday though, the day lots in the Village will be madness….

mtbskierdad

Aug. 6, 2010, 5:54 p.m.

Have you tried yelling out at the top of your lungs "Be quiet or I'm turning this car around!"

ya… that never works…

Well some times it does……sort of. I yelled it. My youngest said prove it and I did. Unfortunately the heat rays coming from my wife's eye's on the drive back was painful and not worth it.

Master of Puppets