Crabapple Just Got Bigger!

May 30, 2012, 1:17 p.m.

They should set up a conveyor belt from the bottom of that to the clinic.

:lol:

I need to +rep you for this when my gun reloads.

May 30, 2012, 1:19 p.m.

I stopped riding Crabapple Hits last year when the jumps got too big for me to confidently takeoff and land. Definately seeing that the "big boy" trails are being kept that way. New pro-line on Whistler DH for example.

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

May 30, 2012, 1:26 p.m.

50+ foot tables have been common in the ski terrain parks for ages.

Built it right and get the speed right and these things are butter.

A hastily built 10ft jump with crappy angles can be more dangerous that these.

My game on the bike isn't at the level to hit these, something to continue working up to.

May 30, 2012, 3:21 p.m.

Why don't they make progressive lines like in a snowboard park? Have like a three stage jump there so everyone can do it?
Silly to make a trail only for one type of rider now…

superheros
I like bikes

May 30, 2012, 3:34 p.m.

Why don't they make progressive lines like in a snowboard park? Have like a three stage jump there so everyone can do it?

Seriously? That has been well answered by three separate posts in this thread already.

The bottom line is having slow intermediate and fast advanced riders on the same trail is a recipe for injuries and stress. One of the main reasons I don't ride A-Line is because as an intermediate rider, the prospect of having a bunch of much faster riders bearing down on me pressuring me to ride faster is not something I enjoy. I like that B-Line is a separate trail that I can be more comfortable going slower on.

Mark

2010 Transition TR450 - 34.56lbs - the lightest TR450 ever?

A custom build from the good guys @ North Shore Bike Shop

May 30, 2012, 3:48 p.m.

Why don't they make progressive lines like in a snowboard park?

B Line [HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED] Crank It Up [HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED] HOD [HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED] Blue Velvet [HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED] Bluzeum [HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED] Unsactioned [HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED] Aline [HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED] Dirt Merchant [HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED] Lower Whis DH [HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED] Cdn Open [HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED] Dwayne Johnstone. Got them all dialed? Ok, now [HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED] Crabapple. This is a pretty good example of the progression available. You don't need to be right beside the big dogs to start small and work your way up to the top level.

Have like a three stage jump there so everyone can do it?

For reasons discussed above, I don't think it's silly to separate the very large jumps from the rest. It may work for snowboarding, but could you imagine trying to stomp a 50 foot jump on a trail like Heart of Darkness or Crank It Up with all levels of riders rolling jumps, stopping on lips, backing out at the last second, eating shit or generally just getting in the way and making things dangerous. It's bad enough getting stuck behind someone who walked around the 'qualifier' entrance to Dirt Merchant, and being forced to case jumps or miss making it up the step up and having to walk up it. Crabapple Hits are full commitment, make the downramp or suffer. Not a place for 'give it a try and see how it goes' with a rider to your left, a rider to your right and 15 people walking around.

There are literally hundreds of other jumps in the bike park of all levels, including 'scary'. There are also examples of 2 tiered jumps such as the tombstones on Upper ALine, and the extra booter after the rock drop on Lower ALine. For people not ready for crabapple, there's not really any reason to feel uncatered to.

May 30, 2012, 4:09 p.m.

B Line [HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED] Crank It Up [HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED] HOD [HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED] Blue Velvet [HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED] Bluzeum [HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED] Unsactioned [HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED] Aline [HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED] Dirt Merchant [HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED] Lower Whis DH [HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED] Cdn Open [HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED] Dwayne Johnstone. Got them all dialed? Ok, now [HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED] Crabapple. This is a pretty good example of the progression available. You don't need to be right beside the big dogs to start small and work your way up to the top level.

For reasons discussed above, I don't think it's silly to separate the very large jumps from the rest. It may work for snowboarding, but could you imagine trying to stomp a 50 foot jump on a trail like Heart of Darkness or Crank It Up with all levels of riders rolling jumps, stopping on lips, backing out at the last second, eating shit or generally just getting in the way and making things dangerous. It's bad enough getting stuck behind someone who walked around the 'qualifier' entrance to Dirt Merchant, and being forced to case jumps or miss making it up the step up and having to walk up it. Crabapple Hits are full commitment, make the downramp or suffer. Not a place for 'give it a try and see how it goes' with a rider to your left, a rider to your right and 15 people walking around.

There are literally hundreds of other jumps in the bike park of all levels, including 'scary'. There are also examples of 2 tiered jumps such as the tombstones on Upper ALine, and the extra booter after the rock drop on Lower ALine. For people not ready for crabapple, there's not really any reason to feel uncatered to.

must spread rep…..totally agree with this….mixing levels on trails like this is a recipe for disaster

May 30, 2012, 4:47 p.m.

I totally agreee actually. I actually totally forgot about having to stop, slow down and case things because of a rider over their head trying to ride a trail for advanced risers.
Kinda slipped my mind that things have changed at whistler since the 7 years of me not riding it.
That being the selection of trails and ones for different level of riders.

The whole fact being trying to clear the big looking jumps now on crabapple and having some new rider in your way could spell disaster. Such as crashing or a huge case.
My bad on my post. You have made me see the light.
Sorry guys :dizzy:

superheros
I like bikes

May 30, 2012, 4:56 p.m.

Too big for me now. I am just glad i saw it here first before rolling in like i did two years ago. I think that that stretch would be a good spot for a progressive set of two or more lines. The grade is right, and the path is wide from what i recall; In a perfect world, with unlimited resources and trail workers/equipment. It might be a nightmare bottleneck at the bottom though.. It may screw up the ski run? Do they knock em down each year?

WTF, Over?

May 30, 2012, 5:58 p.m.

I totally agreee actually. I actually totally forgot about having to stop, slow down and case things because of a rider over their head trying to ride a trail for advanced risers.
Kinda slipped my mind that things have changed at whistler since the 7 years of me not riding it.
That being the selection of trails and ones for different level of riders.

The whole fact being trying to clear the big looking jumps now on crabapple and having some new rider in your way could spell disaster. Such as crashing or a huge case.
My bad on my post. You have made me see the light.
Sorry guys :dizzy:

Seeing the magnitude of these jumps on Crabapple blow my mind. It's been 10 years for me, and back then Crabapple was this flowy little rip with some decent wedges on it and a fast ride out at the bottom with a mess of loose shale. The shale presented more of a problem than ANYTHING on the line itself.

Now these?? Ya, this is progression. Fact is I'm seeing the word/term "progressive" used almost as much as "geometry" in the world of bikes/DH/and WBP. So it goes, our beloved sport is…..

…..evolving.

"I'm addicted to surfing."

May 30, 2012, 7:28 p.m.

I was over shooting that jump without a brake modj ,last year i flew 10 feet further ,so scarey going into the flat section ,barley having time for 5th did they bring the last jump out further lip and landing ,cause you need to have time to set up .Once it gets packed down i'm down . Im sure it will eat a couple of wheels and rear triangles.
careful of wind gusts . Plus 1 on needing a rope tow on that section to shuttle riders up.When things got busy during c-works we would just sesh that .

"Looks like a Canoe with the seats kicked out of it !"

May 30, 2012, 8:08 p.m.

cant wait to test out the rental fleet on these badboys

Parking lot punter with a beer belly

May 30, 2012, 9:23 p.m.

Mind over matter boys,it about time! Last year the new jumps were great,#4 was too small for the speed from the third! Hit it super flat by mistake,pretty sure thats were the swingarm on my flatline earned its crack! Think gap and the knuckles don't come into play,don't round em,and if there is a head wind better know what your doing or your going to the clinic, i say these jumps won't last,so get em while they are fresh! So girls if your done clucking and pawking,lets hit this shit!

May 31, 2012, 1:07 a.m.

Finally, I'm glad Whistler is building bigger hits, they need trails for nutbar riders and people who like to go big. If Joe Public is scared to hit the jumps then it means they are thinking about their skill levels, which is a good thing. These jumps arent for everyone, do or do not, there is no try and you cant fake being a Jedi. There are plenty of trails in WBP to learn on, they are blue trails. Its like a video game, level up and earn that leg shaking adrenaline rush. I for one am looking forward to hitting this line, Crabapple is a scary trail to over shoot, so this will be a nice change. YEEEEEEHAAAAW:trinity:

May 31, 2012, 8:26 a.m.

Just remember lads, all sack and no sense will have you laying there broken, squirming in your own piss soaked pants waiting for the meat wagon.

It's all bravado and balls till something goes wrong. May it not be you :rocker:

DS

"I'm addicted to surfing."