Close call...

Aug. 31, 2008, 6:25 p.m.

I had the closest call yesterday at the WBP.
I went over the bars while riding Dirt Merchant, landed right on my head.

The helmet protection was outstanding. It was a 661 Bravo Carbon. Got badly shattered, but it absorbed the impact so well that I didn't even had a concussion.

The injuries: Minor compression fracture in one vertebrae, bruised ankle and bitten tongue :S.

I'm lucky that I'm still walking, and the doctor says that they don't foresee any major consequences.
Anyway, riding will be put on hold for a while, until I have some more checks done, and my stiff back and neck heal properly.

ride safe! :)

Aug. 31, 2008, 8:11 p.m.

Going over the front at any kinda speed is scary, glad to hear you are ok, take it easy.

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

Sept. 1, 2008, 12:54 p.m.

Glad to hear you are OK.

Curious if you were wearing body armour such as back protection…did that help mitigate the injuries?

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Sept. 1, 2008, 12:59 p.m.

^ I'm thinking his compression fracture was due to axial loading, aka landing on your head. I doubt any sort of spine pad would have done anything, a Leatt Brace might have helped……..

Join SIMBS and help mountain biking on the Rock

Get out of the way, freedom's coming through!

Sept. 1, 2008, 10:22 p.m.

^ I'm thinking his compression fracture was due to axial loading, aka landing on your head. I doubt any sort of spine pad would have done anything, a Leatt Brace might have helped……..

That's correct. I was wearing full body armour, but the fracture occurred as the spine compressed, not by a direct impact on it.

Sept. 1, 2008, 10:30 p.m.

Glad to hear you are 'okay'.

Heal up well.

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

Sept. 1, 2008, 11:34 p.m.

Good to hear you're ok, I had a similiar injury back in 2003, broke the front of the L3 vertabrae right off. I found it important to stick with Chiropractic appts (very gentle ones, alot of neck ligament massage) right through the recovery process. They helped to mitigate the whiplash that sets in with this type of wipeout. Also, cut back on caffiene (if coffee is a vice) and drink lots of water and Vitamin C helps.

good luck, you'll be back at, I was back on the bike in about 3 or 4 months.

Sept. 2, 2008, 7:07 a.m.

Wow, that is close. Hope your healing goes well.

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

Sept. 2, 2008, 10:23 a.m.

Heal up man! That is forsure a close call.

Where did this happen? I had a buddy that didn't fend nearly as well as you after getting bucked on Dirt.

We all hit the jump right after the step up on your right and all 6 of us got bucked bad… one bud got it really bad on Sunday… see below…..

Dan

www.steedcycles.com

Sept. 2, 2008, 11:47 a.m.

stable compression fractures should heal pretty well…i did my c3, c7,t7 last april and was road riding by july and on dirt by august…..just take it really easy for a month or so, don't rush it, it's your back, you only get one and in the grande scheme of things, it isn't that long….

Sept. 2, 2008, 1:29 p.m.

Heal up man! That is forsure a close call.

Where did this happen? I had a buddy that didn't fend nearly as well as you after getting bucked on Dirt.

We all hit the jump right after the step up on your right and all 6 of us got bucked bad… one bud got it really bad on Sunday…

Dan

I was getting bucked by that jump this weekend as well. Fortunately I tend to be going quite slow after the step up gap so it's not too bad.

Sept. 2, 2008, 2:43 p.m.

I'm hoping post day 2 isn't too much worse for you. 2nd day's often killer for me from any surprise damage.

Sept. 2, 2008, 4:34 p.m.

I'm hoping post day 2 isn't too much worse for you. 2nd day's often killer for me from any surprise damage.

My back is not doing too bad.. still stiff, but further tests confirmed that there is no other damage to nerves or other vertebrae.
However, my ankle is not doing that well, as they found a torn ligament.

But, hey, better have a bad ankle than a bad back. :woot:

Sept. 3, 2008, 1:26 p.m.

eegads! healing vibes coming your way. and yes don't be a knob like me and not take the physio seriously. it'll bite you back later on in life when you're older.

take care out there folks.

Sept. 3, 2008, 5:43 p.m.

if u need a good physio check out west coast rehab, my mom works there and does tons of sports injuries

fuck lmm

I like how he casually dropped the "I'm famous" bomb.
LMM, if I ever see you at Whistler, make sure Schne is close by to take a picture of me punching you in the balls.

i dont post anymore unless its a lmm thread
such a tool

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonfrodomacfarlane/sets/