Bye Giant.

Oct. 27, 2016, 9:33 p.m.

60.42 billion TWD (1.9B USD). Drop in the bucket.

https://markets.ft.com/data/equities/tearsheet/financials?s=9921:TAI

Oct. 27, 2016, 10:02 p.m.

60.42 billion TWD (1.9B USD). Drop in the bucket.

https://markets.ft.com/data/equities/tearsheet/financials?s=9921:TAI

Exactly why I think it's gonna be Schwinn or Huffy.

Dec. 22, 2016, 10:04 p.m.

Does whistler buy a set number of bikes for the season and just keep the fleet they have going till the end of the year?
It would be interesting to know how many bikes they buy at the start, how many they go threw and how many of each individual components they go threw in a season. I bet it would be pretty substantial.

I've noticed that local shops in and around my area have very few dh bikes or non at all.
Times are changing I guess but my close friends and myself only ride downhill bikes.
I've thought about getting an enduro style all mountain bike one day aswell tho. I'd like to start investigating a different style of riding.

superheros
I like bikes

Dec. 23, 2016, 1:26 p.m.

I'm also curious to know how many DH bikes are sold on an annual basis. There really aren't that many regions in the world that cater to DH riding. DH bikes are really only suitable for lift/shuttle access.

Not true … If DH was restricted solely to places with lift access, how do you explain the large number of top world-class DH riders from the UK, Australia, South Africa and South America - and virtually zero from Canada (esp with the sad passing of Stevie Smith). Back in the day, the sight of riders pushing DH bikes up Mount Fromme was the norm.

I'm originally from a fairly flat part of England, yet it sounds like DH bikes are still fairly popular. Push up a hill for five minutes or so, turn around and then pin it down a trail. Session session session…. Ironically my riding skillz were way better when I lived in the UK from sessioning stuff on a big bike Vs riding the much longer trails around here. There's something to be said for knowing every pebble on a trail and absolutely pinning it. Worked well for Peaty, hart, Bryceland, the Athertons etc.

Dec. 30, 2016, 11:12 p.m.

A voice of reasonable authority told me it's GT.

Dec. 30, 2016, 11:23 p.m.

Wow. If I had to have guessed, that'd be on the bottom of my list.

Do they do kids bikes? (I guess they will now…)

Jan. 19, 2017, 10:15 a.m.

You are correct, I got confirmation of the same.

Jan. 30, 2017, 6:08 a.m.

GT is Dorel group?

Not a small gig either. They try hard, but don't seem to pull a lot of sausage in my area (central Europe).

Regarding numbers:
If you go to the French Alps there are now hundreds of bike resorts. Portes du Soleil alone has 60+ chairlifts running all summer long. I visited at least fifteen tourist towns in Austria, Switzerland and France during the last two years which are really, really buzzing.

I don't know absolute numbers, but I'd guess it's a bigger market already here than Canada. Traditional ski resorts and areas highly dependent on tourism are now realizing global warming does already result in lack of snow and even too high of temperatures for their artificial snow cannons. They hastily let their ski-resort workers machine build trails - which of course become erosion nightmares because of ski steep terrain in no time. Then they wonder why beginners, families and elderly riders don't come back after their premier visit.

So - quantity yeah, quality not yet. Or at least only in select places. You got us beat there.
Building sweet backcountry trails is harder, because every single piece of land is or has been claimed for some kind of use already.

It's getting better though. And there's loads of money and lobbyism in tourism.

DH bike brands:

Specialized Demo, Canyon Torque, YT Tues and maybe Glorys are really common. There's loads of them. V10s are surprisingly popular, too $$$