Bike Park Photos

July 25, 2010, 4:57 p.m.

Black velvet (wallride)can yield some nice shots.

I thought that was Blue Velvet? :???:

July 25, 2010, 5:16 p.m.

Right now its Black Velvet because the trial leads into In Deep and Fatcrobat, hence the black diamond, we don't want too many intermidiate riders down those two trails and getting in over their heads, the catch berms at the bottom of the wallride is a nice touch….

mtbskierdad

July 25, 2010, 6:21 p.m.

Not wood, rock:

July 26, 2010, 12:48 a.m.

oh shit, i remember trying to poach that line last year, theres a cool wood drop after right.

July 26, 2010, 10:48 a.m.

oh shit, i remember trying to poach that line last year, theres a cool wood drop after right.

yup. awkward entrance though… but that's just spazzy me.

July 26, 2010, 10:51 a.m.

curiousity has me wondering how sales are going for this? I still can't help but feel like $25 is a lot of cash for a digi version. I know, time = money, etc……but wouldn't a lot more people be apt to purchase at $10? Hope it's proving successful regardless, thanks for the effort.

My only suggestion would be to try and keep things fresh with lots of new locations and different angles.

July 26, 2010, 11:06 a.m.

I'm not keen on the pricing either Flip. Or the US shipping.
I'd like to pre-buy, say 5 pics. And pick them throughout the year.

It's a bitch to secure someone who is a good photographer, and willing to hike the gnarly sections of the hill, so I'm not complaining about that at all. I agree though that you guys would sell more pics if the prices were set up differently for the "locals" who will spend 15-20 days up there riding.

July 26, 2010, 11:34 a.m.

Hey guys
thanks for all the suggestions. I am going to start trying a few new locations this weekend…including a spot or two on Garbo. When the project started, I had to prove to the rest of management that it will work, hence picking the easier, busier runs. The hardest thing is to find a location with quite a bit of traffic AND with people that will generally buy the photos (a lot of the locals that are awesome riders maybe arent as into photos as less experienced riders just up for a couple days a year). That being said, I do want to try to get everyone, so I spend some time on DM and Schleyer to get the better riders. If you guys here are generally interested in photos, I will do my best to move around a bit more. I will usually start on CIU though as its quite busy with a lot of different skill levels. Then I will move on to some new locations. As for changing shots, I tested a 16mm fisheye the other day and liked the results. Some of the better shots are on our new facebook site if you want to check them out (search Coast Mountain Photography).
I like the idea of pre buying a certain amount of pics and using that credit throughout the season. I will take that to the rest of management and see what we can come up with. The pricing is a bit cheaper as well if you come into our store location (next to Ziptrek behind G Bike and Bean). There is no USA shipping and there is a deal for the second and third digital file on a CD. I really had to work to get the price down to $25 as winter prices are 4 times as much. Giving a high res digital file is essentially giving away copyright, which is something no photo company really likes to do. Being able to print freely and email as much as you want for $25 isnt too bad of a deal in the long run, but I understand that cheaper would be preferable to customers. I will look into the pre buy and get back to you guys here. Also, I am using professional gear (Nikon D700, 70-200 f2.8VR, 24-70 f2.8 and 16mm fisheye), so the quality of image is pretty good as well.
Thanks again for the support with this project and I will continue to work on making it better for you guys out there hucking! Ill post it here on the long weekend where I will be on Garbo the next day and hopefully I see you guys there!
Cheers!

July 26, 2010, noon

Hey I know you just answerd a ton of questions, but I've got one more for you; which finish would you recommend? I went into your photo booth in Whistler yesterday and the lady there was able to show me the difference between the gloss and matte, but I really wanted to see the mettalic. She explained to me that this was only an option offered by the website due to their awsome printer. Would you recommend ordering it or just buy one that I'll know how it looks. I'm assuming it will just be a shinier picture that looks sort of sparkily, but I've never seen a mettalic picture before. It sounds like it would be pretty cool.

July 26, 2010, 12:08 p.m.

this should probably be in the inside line forum.

X2

July 26, 2010, 7:27 p.m.

Great pictures, and thanks for organizing them more than just by the day, I was able to find the pics of me and my friends real quickly.

mmkay?

July 26, 2010, 7:55 p.m.

yeah nice, pics don't know if i'd pay $25, but some might.

whee….

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

July 27, 2010, 8:14 a.m.

The pricing is a bit cheaper as well if you come into our store location (next to Ziptrek behind G Bike and Bean).

Well sir, I did not know that. But it's damn good information.

8)

July 27, 2010, 10:10 p.m.

It would be sweet to see a much cheaper option for a low res digital file. A lot of "locals" are not going to buy a print and put it on their wall but would probably be more inclined to spend $5-$10 on a low res file to load onto the interweb.

July 27, 2010, 10:18 p.m.

Hey I know you just answerd a ton of questions, but I've got one more for you; which finish would you recommend? I went into your photo booth in Whistler yesterday and the lady there was able to show me the difference between the gloss and matte, but I really wanted to see the mettalic. She explained to me that this was only an option offered by the website due to their awsome printer. Would you recommend ordering it or just buy one that I'll know how it looks. I'm assuming it will just be a shinier picture that looks sort of sparkily, but I've never seen a mettalic picture before. It sounds like it would be pretty cool.

I got a bunch of sample prints from a company a while back and the metallic is defiantly a cool way to see a photo. Its not much glossier than a glossy finish but has a metally kind of tone to it and is more prominent in certain colors. I found it makes a cool effect on portraits with fairly intense colors, but overall I think it really depends on the colors and mood of the shot. I'd recommend seeing one before pulling the trigger.