Bike Park Camps

May 8, 2012, 8:56 a.m.

I've never ridden in the park, but want to give it a go.

I also want some instruction to get the best experience possible. A few friends have done the Richy Schley camp and can't say enough good things about it

Thoughts?

May 8, 2012, 8:58 a.m.

I can help!

c

C4 Rider Training 2013

Contact me at: [email protected]

I am not so good at returning PM's as some have noticed.

c4race.com

May 8, 2012, 9:07 a.m.

SGC is a lot of fun.

May 8, 2012, 11:51 a.m.

I did the Schley camp last summer.

It was worth the $ (although I got it as a gift from my wife). Although now that they are opening up the peak chair for everyone I think the value has gone down a bit.

I think if you are looking to really up your skills two days of instruction will get you headed in the right direction but really you need a few more days of training spaced out with homework on things to work on in between.

SGC is $! Although I wouldn't mind trying it out.

I think some of the summer camps taught by "pros" are probably not the best as just because they rip doesn't mean that they will be able to teach you how to rip.

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

May 8, 2012, 12:12 p.m.

I think some of the summer camps taught by "pros" are probably not the best as just because they rip doesn't mean that they will be able to teach you how to rip.

I would agree with this last part, I did the 2 day course as wel and as much fun as it was I found the lack of a qualified instructor meant I did not take as much away. We spent most of the two days following our instructor down trails so that we learned the correct speed to hit things at but very little time was spent with the instructor following us to tell us what we were doing wrong. Don't get me wrong I still had a blast! I just think next time I would take a private lesson or something where the instructor followed us more.

May 9, 2012, 8:20 p.m.

Talk to Sideshow, he does exactly what your looking for…

May 9, 2012, 8:39 p.m.

Daren Butler does camps. I vote him

Edit : Endless biking, he's on the boards

I'm happy to get outside and enjoy nature while I can, but I fear for the future of humanity

May 9, 2012, 9:21 p.m.

Yes,
the above is a very good suggestion as well

May 9, 2012, 10:04 p.m.

Daren Butler does camps. I vote him

Edit : Endless biking, he's on the boards

+2.

Just finished a 2-day Endless Biking course here on the Shore. My riding skill and confidence progressed more in two days than they have in the past six months.

May 10, 2012, 8:10 a.m.

Talk to Sideshow, he does exactly what your looking for…

I worked a couple Schley camps and by the end most were following me not the pros haha, wait I was a pro kinda…..

Darren is def solid, but I have a unique style that will change how you look at the trail.

C4 will make you better. Boom.

What I do is best suited to experienced riders that have plateaued and are looking to safely hit the next level.

We are also insured and legit to take you in the bike park this year! Very few are allowed to do so. EB is as well.

Whoever you choose, its a smart call.

$5000 bikes are worth $100 worth of lessons!

C4 Rider Training 2013

c4race.com

May 10, 2012, 8:11 a.m.

thanks, Brad.

C4 Rider Training 2013

c4race.com

May 10, 2012, 1:44 p.m.

Another vote for C4 here. I haven't rode with them, but have friends that have.

If you want to say that you rode with some pro or other, but not get a ton of proper coaching, then go for some of the other camps.

For real coaching that will help you actually get faster, C4 is what you're looking for.

freakin squamish hicks that can't even get pogey right. go back to your meth pipe

June 28, 2012, 8:30 a.m.

Thinking about signing up for one of the Richie Schley camps this summer… seems to be getting mixed reviews on this thread… I'm pretty new to DH - I've only been in a bike park for 5 days total but also ride Fromme/Seymour a fait bit so I would definitely consider myself an "intermediate" rider but not anything more. I usually stick to the techy trails in the bike park, but mostly because I am not too comfortable hitting jumps. I've never ridden A-line yet but I want to get more comfortable on jumps so that I can start hitting the Jumpy trails like A-line, Dirt Merchant, Freight Train, etc. Would the Schley camp be good for what I am looking for? Or am I just going to be following the instructor around the bike park all day with little actual instruction?

June 29, 2012, 1:17 a.m.

Thinking about signing up for one of the Richie Schley camps this summer… seems to be getting mixed reviews on this thread… I'm pretty new to DH - I've only been in a bike park for 5 days total but also ride Fromme/Seymour a fait bit so I would definitely consider myself an "intermediate" rider but not anything more. I usually stick to the techy trails in the bike park, but mostly because I am not too comfortable hitting jumps. I've never ridden A-line yet but I want to get more comfortable on jumps so that I can start hitting the Jumpy trails like A-line, Dirt Merchant, Freight Train, etc. Would the Schley camp be good for what I am looking for? Or am I just going to be following the instructor around the bike park all day with little actual instruction?

For getting comfortable on the jump trails just lap Crank it up for a day, I did that for a few days before moving on to Aline and once I did I was comfortable due to the time put in on CIU. You can read up online in tons of places about what to do on the take off and in air and when your landing. A course will help but starting small and getting comfortable is priceless….then the course will help you step it up from there.

June 29, 2012, 8:53 a.m.

For getting comfortable on the jump trails just lap Crank it up for a day, I did that for a few days before moving on to Aline and once I did I was comfortable due to the time put in on CIU. You can read up online in tons of places about what to do on the take off and in air and when your landing. A course will help but starting small and getting comfortable is priceless….then the course will help you step it up from there.

Yeah thats what my plan was for the next day I head up to Whistler… whats the key? pull up off the lip and then push the bike forward to flatten it out? sorta like doing any ollie on a skateboard? I think it will just be a bunch of trial and error for me.