Big Side of the Box

July 18, 2006, 12:44 p.m.

So I was up at whistler on Sunday for the first time in three weeks (I normally go up more often but I was away). I rode all day and had a blast up until the last run of the day.

A buddy and I went for a run through the boneyard to finish things off. We decided to hit the box for the first time that day. Little did we know that the landing had been moved out a few feet leaving a good sized flat section where there was nothing but tranny before. Ryan cased pretty hard but managed to ride it out. Then I went off still oblivious to the landing change and landed right on the flat and was bucked off landing pretty hard on my head and shoulder. I gave myself a mild concussion and scraped myself up. The next guy that came off 30 seconds after me almost shared my fate.

Now I know it was dumb to have gone off the thing without checking it out… but I've done it many times this year already and didn't even think to look.

My question is if there was signage put up when the change first took place which has since been removed, or if it was just changed with nothing said?

I think I will be looking at everything the first time I hit it each day from now on if it's big enough to do some damage. Lesson learned….

I'm going to get some more Advil.

:canada: :swiss:

July 18, 2006, 1:04 p.m.

must have been huckin huge to get bucked!

July 18, 2006, 1:47 p.m.

how can u huck huge and case.. of the big box.. musta had a ht or really fast rear shock… thats sucks though

July 18, 2006, 2:09 p.m.

Well it isn't really a huge huck… maybe 6' or 8'. It was just an unexpected flat landing combined with a heavy spring and fast rebound.

Not recommended kids.

July 18, 2006, 3:03 p.m.

yeah the box is pretty crazy now, that thing has become a decent sized gap. to clear it you have to pedal pretty hard into the box, pedal on the box and make it to the tranny. i really hope a berm is put in after the tranny because it's difficult to turn with that much speed.

i say either move the step up a foot or two back, or move the drop back a bit. right now the speed issue is rather weird.

davidlang.me |

July 18, 2006, 3:49 p.m.

When they first opened it the landing was actually too close on the big side. To make the step up you neede lots of speed, but then had to break fairly hard to hit the tranny.

Your right Slang, the run in/out of the entire thing needs work. Hard to get the speed for the way up and hard to slow down afterwards.

July 18, 2006, 3:52 p.m.

i like it, i had a good case first run yesterday but after that i thought it is much better now, more trickable. last run i no handered off it for the first time, soo smooth

troup you are sooo funnny buy a gun and shoot yourself

No, I'm a retard, remember?

July 18, 2006, 5:31 p.m.

its perfect

July 18, 2006, 5:37 p.m.

i know what your saying, everyone didnt know about it an dthere was never no sign form what ive been told. the slopestyle yard is nutz this year and i think whistler is trying to one up the adidas slopestyle, for the most riders injured. set up to setup to setup to 25 foot huck, the manditory 25 foot sniper tranny huck which you have 10 feet to get speed. people are goin to die……… i hope its not me….

**Big thanks to:

Morpheus Cycles
Industry Nine Componentry
RaceFace
- Velocity Cycles - **

July 18, 2006, 6:23 p.m.

i know what your saying, everyone didnt know about it an dthere was never no sign form what ive been told. the slopestyle yard is nutz this year and i think whistler is trying to one up the adidas slopestyle, for the most riders injured. set up to setup to setup to 25 foot huck, the manditory 25 foot sniper tranny huck which you have 10 feet to get speed. people are goin to die……… i hope its not me….

i would say that they are trying to make a good course… its the best one they have ever built and its gettign pretty perf. notice how they are using the red bull elevation dirt for lots of the jumps… NO ROCKS! much safer. anyways…

lol i had the same thing happend to me off the box. first run of the day and of the year and first run on the new bike… and then i go to the box with the airprentice group and im like the 3rd in line to hit it and i go off as if it was the same last year and then realize i have nothign to do other then to hold on for dear life and ride it out… then i hit the flat with BOTH my wheels and my bars i guess were not tight enough(new bike-first ride=shit happens) and my bars slid down so they are upside down now and im still holding on in this awkward possisoin and then am now getting bucked and land nosed in at the very bottom of the landing… then do a nose manual into the ropes! HAHAHAH oh man. scarry at the moment but funny to watch i bet.

Meyer Brothers

THRASHbike
Marzocchi
Hayes
Sun Ringle
Atomlab
MRP

July 18, 2006, 8:04 p.m.

that tranny took me by suprise as well…i was following j.sinclair off it and he didnt know of the change as well….he went off, cased and flipped over the bars….i came in a couple seconds after he did and almost did the same thing…luckily i missed his bike which was lying almost mid tranny….good thing jay was ok…i think he took a good one to the shoulder though….
chris

July 18, 2006, 9 p.m.

ohhhhh

July 18, 2006, 9:18 p.m.

ive never hit the box before, im looking forward to hitting it on saturday(i think)

July 18, 2006, 10:58 p.m.

Yup caught me by surprise as well. I have been hitting it for weeks and then BLAMMO new flat top gap to clear.

Shoulder is ok and arm is ok (Bit of rash) shin however has a pretty good burn from what i am Assuming is my tire ??? took a 3x3 square of skin off and hurts like a bitch…Looks and feels like a burn. I can't seem to do anything for it. It wasn;t dirty or full of gravel, just a nice clean square of no skin… Strange really…

A sign saying it changed would have been nice, but my fault for assuming it was the same.

Especially after talking to Tom Pro last week and telling him to move the big side tranny out. Maybe I should have been more specific.

Right now the gap on the small side could be moved in a bit to make it easier for intermediates. Leave the big side as is.

Dec 2006 photo contest winner "Best Ass Shot"

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

July 18, 2006, 11:19 p.m.

the box is getting painted blue now.

// What's Good // F U N E R A L // Ultramontane // DEEP SIX //