Bears on Whistler Today

Aug. 27, 2007, 2:08 p.m.

awesome part about the bear on the ski run above AP was that two guys were eating lunch on easy does it right below

Aug. 28, 2007, 12:52 p.m.

Last time no one could go down AP because a bear was hanging out there and supposedly growling….not exactly anyplace to turn around in there. It was funny as we were just starting down and all these people started climbing back out with their bikes. But we gave up on AP for the day….

On the other hand when we encountered bears on Crack Addict, they just crossed the trail and continued on. I hope they continue to move out of the way though….

Free Riding…Nothing Free About It

Aug. 28, 2007, 6:06 p.m.

it's amazing how lucky we are best bike park ever filled with bears
criusing around.
I did get pissed off at one the other day,when he tried to steel my bike, while i was taking a piss.

Aug. 28, 2007, 6:29 p.m.

6 bears killed in the Whistler area in the last nine days.

Go Whistler !

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Aug. 28, 2007, 6:54 p.m.

6 bears killed in the Whistler area in the last nine days.

Go Whistler !

why :(

Aug. 28, 2007, 7:22 p.m.

^^^Cause a fed bear is a dead bear.

www.knollybikes.com

:canada:

Aug. 29, 2007, 9:44 a.m.

^^^Cause a fed bear is a dead bear.

As is a bear hit by a hulking great 'Sports Utility Vehicle'.

Aug. 29, 2007, 4:25 p.m.

As is a bear hit by a hulking great 'Sports Utility Vehicle'.

Yeah 'cause everyone knows a bear is going to do much better if he's hit by say a Toyota Tacoma, no wait how about a Mazda Miata. Geez the bear is still dead. Oh well lets blame "hulking great 'Sports Utility Vehicles" anyways

"The Attention Deficit Disorder Association's Book of Wild Animals of
Western Eur- Hey! Let's Go Ride Our Bikes!"

Check out my pipes at www.thomasjlipspipeworks.wordpress.com

Aug. 29, 2007, 8:24 p.m.

Yeah 'cause everyone knows a bear is going to do much better if he's hit by say a Toyota Tacoma, no wait how about a Mazda Miata. Geez the bear is still dead. Oh well lets blame "hulking great 'Sports Utility Vehicles" anyways

Yes- stastically he's going to have a much better chance of living if he's hit by a smaller car with crumple zones as opposed to a huge truck/van with bull bars on the front. Same goes for children, in case you care. :)

…this wasn't really the point I was making anyway, it was just a roundabout way of saying that 4 or 5 (I forget which) of the bears that have died in the last week have been RTAs, and not food-related. Either way, it sucks.

Aug. 29, 2007, 9:38 p.m.

Yes- stastically he's going to have a much better chance of living if he's hit by a smaller car with crumple zones as opposed to a huge truck/van with bull bars on the front. Same goes for children, in case you care. :)

…this wasn't really the point I was making anyway, it was just a roundabout way of saying that 4 or 5 (I forget which) of the bears that have died in the last week have been RTAs, and not food-related. Either way, it sucks.

So now that I've defended the SUV set the logical assumption in your mind is "he'd just as soon run down children":lol:

Any idea what kind of vehicles hit these bears? They couldn't have all been SUV's could they?:D Maybe it was one crazed SUV driving American that got board running over children in the states and decided to take his killing spree up north to go after your bears.:crazy:

And yes , I do own a Suburban. No it's not a grocery getter. And I feel much safer when my wife and children are riding around in that truck as opposed to the family car.

I read the story in the Squamish Chief today and I didn't find mention of the vehicles involved. Maybe you could look into it for me?

http://www.squamishchief.com/madison%5CWQuestion.nsf/SCnews/266D30F6BD9EA99E88257340007CD7BE?OpenDocument

"The Attention Deficit Disorder Association's Book of Wild Animals of
Western Eur- Hey! Let's Go Ride Our Bikes!"

Check out my pipes at www.thomasjlipspipeworks.wordpress.com

Aug. 29, 2007, 10:48 p.m.

Any idea what kind of vehicles hit these bears?

well all of the bears were hit near motocross tracks, and you can't really put a dirtbike in a Miata

Aug. 29, 2007, 11:40 p.m.

So now that I've defended the SUV set the logical assumption in your mind is "he'd just as soon run down children":lol:

I wish I could rep you twice…Gold, pure gold…

I'm going to be driving from Seattle to Whistler next week. I sure hope I find some children to run down.

:lol:

[disclaimer] No REAL children were injured in the making of this post, only E-sarcastic ones

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Aug. 29, 2007, 11:59 p.m.

I think that you're the ones doing the assuming boys… I was simply illustrating my point that SUVs are more destructive in an impact than smaller cars. If you want to go kiddie-killing then that's your business, keep me out of it.

And for the record, they're not 'my bears'- I'm British, and one of the things that strikes us the most when coming here is that the average vehicle is twice the size of those at home. I can totally see the appeal of a truck to go shuttling etc., but there's no way that most of the blinged-out penis extensions you see around town and all along 99 get used for anything that practical. You guys pay half what the rest of the developed world does for gas, but that's going to change sharpish if people don't learn to buy vehicles that don't massively exceed their needs.

P.S. Most derailed thread ever?

Aug. 30, 2007, 12:59 a.m.

Holy crap this thread about cool bears in the bike park just got slammed into by some guy in a Suburban!