Bad Crash on Crank It Up

Sept. 24, 2007, 1:04 p.m.

Wow.

First off, my sincere condolences to husband and family of fallen rider (Suzanne??).

CarMan - as DB stated above, you are a real life hero and deserve the recognition for it. Not only did you recognize the need for life sustaining measures but you maintained your cool under pressure and managed to follow through. It's one thing knowing CPR but actually having to perform the skill when there is a life in the balance, a skill on its own.

I guess this would be a perfect time to plug the importance of knowing your basic CPR. Takes a short time to learn, very inexpensive course but could save the life of a stranger or loved one. Not sure if they are teaching CPR in schools now a days but it sure is more important than knowing how to bake carrot cake.

Once again, all the best to the rider and her family.

Stefan

PS: As for the Leatt Brace, here is the link: www.leatt-brace.com. Search Ridemonkey.com for a recent thread.

Sept. 24, 2007, 3:04 p.m.

Respect and condolences. The family must be going through the hardest time of their life.

Sept. 26, 2007, 10:49 a.m.

A friend of mine who was there this past weekend said the Joy Ride skills area (drops and jumps) is roped off now. It seems that they're making it a deliberate thing you want to do rather than just go off it maybe accidentally. I wonder if it's because of this accident? Also, I'm wondering if the girl was prepared and experienced or didn't realize what she was doing when she fell….

This is such a sad story.

Free Riding…Nothing Free About It

Sept. 26, 2007, 7:36 p.m.

A friend of mine who was there this past weekend said the Joy Ride skills area (drops and jumps) is roped off now. It seems that they're making it a deliberate thing you want to do rather than just go off it maybe accidentally. I wonder if it's because of this accident? Also, I'm wondering if the girl was prepared and experienced or didn't realize what she was doing when she fell….

This is such a sad story.

Joyride was always roped off, except for the entrance at the top. Are you saying that even this is roped off and you need to enter from a different gate? I will be up Saturday and will check it out.

I am not sure of Suzannes experience, but she was not wearing body armour, but had elbow and shin Race Face, same as rental stuff. The Bell Bellistic helmet had an impact crack on the left temple area from a chin guard impact which corresponded to a bruise on the left side of her face. Her main injury was the neck, so body armour wouldn't have helped in that area, HOWEVER, she did sustain some injury to her spine in the mid thoracic area which may have been prevented with the full spine armour.

Seeing this tragedy firsthand and researching similar injuries in Moto X and DH/FR, EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE A NECK BRACE! Standard equipment - same as a helmet.

A neck injury may never happen to you, BUT IT COULD!

Sept. 27, 2007, 8:01 a.m.

Joyride was always roped off, except for the entrance at the top. Are you saying that even this is roped off and you need to enter from a different gate? I will be up Saturday and will check it out.

Ya I know it was but he made it sound like it was more than that. But he did say the drops weren't affected so it sounds like the same thing it always had.

Well not only body armor is good but knowing how to fall is helpful too. At least my friend claims this and he falls alot! Yet he gets up and continues riding - to date he's landed on his head a couple times. I'm not sure I want to practice falling though.

Free Riding…Nothing Free About It

Sept. 27, 2007, 10:02 a.m.

my broken neck/back this spring would not have been prevented by any armour….I am so thankful after hearing about stuff like this, and tara llanes, among others, that I was all stable and 'okay'……sad story for sure

Sept. 27, 2007, 10:41 a.m.

Todd you used to rip Whistler and everything around it on a 6 year old xc fork. Alarm bells were ringing for a lot of people well before your crash.

Shirk, talk to this man, learn a lesson before it's too late. Your health is on the line…

Skills are a great substitute for various pieces of armor, but not for worn gear that's about to fail…

Sorry for the threadjack. Extreme condolances to Suzanne's family.

-m

Sept. 27, 2007, 4:31 p.m.

Absolutely tragic news but well done CarMan.

Matti Leikonen also broke his back last week (luckily not damaging his spinal cord) so basically if it could happen to him it could happen to anyone. Take it easy people.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman