A line help?

June 28, 2005, 8:53 p.m.

Another of my problems. Ive gone over the bars and been put out of riding by it so much, i think its a mental block without me knowing. Also, the steep jumps make me slow down more than the less steep ones…..for the steep ones is it the same technique?

pretty much. It sounds like you ride a lot like me (with fear, that is). Seriously, just keep hitting 'em [HTML_REMOVED] you'll get more [HTML_REMOVED] more comfortable.

I'm quitting organized crime; from now on I'll stick to the regular kind.

June 28, 2005, 8:59 p.m.

its like 95% mental, i used to not be able to ride those trails at all, and my skills didnt even improve that much but the first day up this year i was ten times better than i ever was. Just because i had a different mind set helped me improve tons.

June 28, 2005, 9:40 p.m.

all about hitting the jumps with speed, follow some one faster then u, that clears them. And also just ride it lots, that is the best way to get better at anything.

Builder of Little Bastard

June 28, 2005, 10:06 p.m.

Well once you've taken a couple runs down and felt out the jumps, seen what each lip feels like, then just let it flow. Your shake down runs will tell you which jumps you need to be paying attention on, which are no problem. Nail the jumps you feel confortable on, and work your way up to the tougher ones. Don't worry if you can't link them all right away, you can always take another run. Finally once your decently comfortable with the run try following someone better than you down, their lines may reveal some details you didn't see.

June 28, 2005, 11:11 p.m.

Ride it slow it at your leasurely pace, the trail is always the same next run.

June 28, 2005, 11:27 p.m.

Visualize yourself doing it then try to do what you visualize

June 29, 2005, 9:42 a.m.

Ride it slow it at your leasurely pace, the trail is always the same next run.

and get run over? No thanks :lol:

June 29, 2005, 10:33 a.m.

Stand up, with your body sort of slightly hunched over the fronet wheel. It helps to put your elbows out, as this will bring your shoulders forward.

You also want to be able to use your legs as well as your arms (lots of people miss this relatively simple point).

Don't worry about getting speed too much, You should NOT pedal at the jumps. Just let the speed come. The big trick is to not touch the brakes.

If you are nice and forward, and off the brakes, then youshould be getting a nice amount of air and be feeling in control.

If you feel like the front of the bike is dropping away, and you're landing nose heavy with your arms extended, then you are probably leaning back (shying away) at the lip of the jump. Maybe spend a few minutes at the jumps in the drop zone getting on top of the bike in the air.

Other tricks to help: follow someone who knows how to hit jumps slow. It's amazing how slow some people can ride tables and still make tranny.

Follow little punks around. They're usually pretty helpful and have some cool insights. Plus, they probably just learned how to do it too, and have similar experiences to share. I know that ging to the Myrtle DJ's with the local groms was the best thing I ever did for getting up on the air.

Do cheap tricks. A little twist of the front wheel or some english on the bike will make you take ownership of the flight and you won't feel like such a dead sailor.

Buy a lesson if all else fails. I'd help you out, but I'm booked solid this summer. Maybe try the kids at Endless Biking (Darren, Kelly, and Kenny) if you are thinking of going that route.

37 YEARS ON THE BIKE :: 1981-2018

June 29, 2005, 11:13 a.m.

/\/\/\ Awesome Smoke, that just sorted out a few questions I was having!

June 29, 2005, 11:54 a.m.

Stand up, with your body sort of slightly hunched over the fronet wheel. It helps to put your elbows out, as this will bring your shoulders forward.

You also want to be able to use your legs as well as your arms (lots of people miss this relatively simple point).

Don't worry about getting speed too much, You should NOT pedal at the jumps. Just let the speed come. The big trick is to not touch the brakes.

If you are nice and forward, and off the brakes, then youshould be getting a nice amount of air and be feeling in control.

If you feel like the front of the bike is dropping away, and you're landing nose heavy with your arms extended, then you are probably leaning back (shying away) at the lip of the jump. Maybe spend a few minutes at the jumps in the drop zone getting on top of the bike in the air.

Other tricks to help: follow someone who knows how to hit jumps slow. It's amazing how slow some people can ride tables and still make tranny.

Follow little punks around. They're usually pretty helpful and have some cool insights. Plus, they probably just learned how to do it too, and have similar experiences to share. I know that ging to the Myrtle DJ's with the local groms was the best thing I ever did for getting up on the air.

Do cheap tricks. A little twist of the front wheel or some english on the bike will make you take ownership of the flight and you won't feel like such a dead sailor.

Buy a lesson if all else fails. I'd help you out, but I'm booked solid this summer. Maybe try the kids at Endless Biking (Darren, Kelly, and Kenny) if you are thinking of going that route.

thanks smoke, really helpful stuff. :)