2012 Conditions... (Whistler Bike Park)

Aug. 22, 2012, 9:39 p.m.

Park is very dusty and beat up, but still mega fun. Highly encourage people to take advantage of the Crankworx hangover and hit the park while things are quiet.

Aug. 23, 2012, 10:57 p.m.

Damn is it raining up there yet? Forecast said possible rain Wednesday and Thursday. Was really hoping for it to knock down the dust.

Aug. 24, 2012, 9 a.m.

we had some rain yesterday, though not a bunch. didnt ride park so cant comment but the trails seemed moist enough, greasy roots etc.

Aug. 24, 2012, 4:29 p.m.

The rain helped but could still use some more.

Sept. 3, 2012, 6:43 p.m.

Is the new Blue Velvet connector open yet? if so, is it a legit trail or more of a fire road?

Sept. 3, 2012, 6:51 p.m.

its a bit of a fireroad than it turns into some fun off camber corners. fun for me anyway, some friends hate it. They are cutting new sections under the gondola and it looks like youwill soon have the option to take super fantastic or continue on blue velvet

cut spikes would also work well for some of the "loam" trails up there. tonnes of dust

Sept. 3, 2012, 8:44 p.m.

I like all the hay bails along Olympic. Feels like I am Super Mario.

Actually, I didn't like that part at all. I hope it's just a sketch of good things yet to come.

Sept. 19, 2012, 6:58 a.m.

Any more recent conditions reports? Thinking about coming up from Seattle the weekend of Sept. 28 but not if its a dusty, brake bumpy, pot-holed mess. Rode closing weekend last year and conditions were pretty good.

Sept. 19, 2012, 9:35 a.m.

still dusty, but getting better. some places better than others (shaded places etc). still no recent rain and none in the forecast.

Sept. 19, 2012, 6:42 p.m.

You'd think with the cooler evening temps. [HTML_REMOVED] morning dew it would be gettng a little tackier.

Thread killer

Sept. 19, 2012, 6:49 p.m.

i guess it only takes 1 person per inch of trail to get rid of that tackiness.my guess is it would be like a pow day in the morning, then change as soon as the sun gets on it or the trail gets ridden. Valley stuff is running nice though.

Sept. 19, 2012, 8:31 p.m.

Any more recent conditions reports? Thinking about coming up from Seattle the weekend of Sept. 28 but not if its a dusty, brake bumpy, pot-holed mess. Rode closing weekend last year and conditions were pretty good.

I had a great time on Sunday. Sure its dry but not 'choking behind the person in front' dusty. Wanna see dusty, come to Pemberton right now, holy is it dry up here

Sept. 24, 2012, 6:27 p.m.

Still fairly dry [HTML_REMOVED] dusty Sunday in the bike park, but nothing that can't be dealt with. Watch for a small reroute on Lower Whistler DH. I'd like to see someone ride Renegade without dabbing a foot, especially in the wet. That's a pretty tight, tough trail. Good luck to the person who needed an ambulance around noon.

Thread killer

Sept. 24, 2012, 8:20 p.m.

Still fairly dry [HTML_REMOVED] dusty Sunday in the bike park, but nothing that can't be dealt with. Watch for a small reroute on Lower Whistler DH. I'd like to see someone ride Renegade without dabbing a foot, especially in the wet. That's a pretty tight, tough trail. Good luck to the person who needed an ambulance around noon.

Seemed to be a lot of injuries in the park on sunday

Sept. 25, 2012, 12:17 a.m.

Seemed to be a lot of injuries in the park on sunday

Sunday was tough. On our first run in the Garbo Zone we saw a guy laying in the ditch and he sounded like he'd been shot. He had plenty of help so we rode on.

Then as we sailed over the third last table on A Line we saw a couple of dudes in the middle of the transition on the second last jump. One guy attending his friend who was fully unconscious. My buddy went to get patrol and I ran traffic control on the big jump right after the hairpin turn setting up the last section consisting of three jumps. Guy was out for at least 3 minutes. When he came round it took a patroller and the guys buddy quite a bit of effort to keep him down. He really wanted to get up buy was obviously still out to lunch. Like a fighter who tries to fight the ref after a KO stoppage. Kinda freaked us out and took a couple of runs to shake off the jitters.

Would like to know how that guy turned out. Once there was a crowd hanging around on the lead in jump I took my leave. But ya. Lots if carnage. Almost added to it going over the bars on In Dep. Sooooo dusty.