2012 Conditions... (Whistler Bike Park)

July 15, 2012, 5:01 p.m.

its always been Garbo, like the spelling of GARBONZO, just take off the NZO, hence the reason for the contention, like calling the Kyhber Pass, Kybs, Kybers and such, get some peoples pants in a bunch…whatever floats your boat I guess…

mtbskierdad

July 15, 2012, 5:16 p.m.

Didn't get a chance to ride Garby today, so can't comment.

But the rain certainly got the dust down today.

Did anyone else ride Garby or did they have it shut down all day?

July 15, 2012, 9:38 p.m.

Quite possibly the best dirt the park has seen all year. On and off rain all week should keep the trails in primo shape.

July 15, 2012, 10:11 p.m.

Just want to say, the section of Freight Train from the container to the side track/duffman/etc trail split is one of the best little bits of fun ever.
It's up on GarbAnzo ;)

July 15, 2012, 10:14 p.m.

its always been Garbo, like the spelling of GARBONZO, just take off the NZO, hence the reason for the contention, like calling the Kyhber Pass, Kybs, Kybers and such, get some peoples pants in a bunch…whatever floats your boat I guess…

Based on your argument wouldn't it be Garba then?

July 15, 2012, 11:56 p.m.

Garbo was awesome pretty much only rode up there. Rode like 3ish til 8, heard it was a slow morning to get stuff open though. Such good conditions, great dirt, almost like a bike park powder day.

July 16, 2012, 12:12 a.m.

Sunday's conditions were prime. Rode till they wouldn't let me back on the lift.

July 16, 2012, 7:06 a.m.

Sunday's conditions were prime. Rode till they wouldn't let me back on the lift.

You made it up? What time did you start riding at?

July 16, 2012, 8:03 a.m.

You made it up? What time did you start riding at?

I rode when the lifts opened for 4 laps and then headed over to sweep for the Trek Dirt Series Camp. It ended about 5:30 and I rode solo from after 6pm till closing.

I wasn't sure what the schedule was for the day or I would have sent a message your way.

July 16, 2012, 8:40 a.m.

We were going up but one of our crew started going on about lightning so he convinced us to ride Squamish. Here is what ensued:

1. Guy in my car forgot helmet which he could have rented in Whistler.
2. Guy who convinced us to ride Squamish twisted his ankle on 19th and went home after the first run. So did all his friends.
3. Near concussion when one rider got stuck in a three foot deep drainage trench.
4. Many gnarly grease outs on roots on Grin and Holler with one pulled groin muscle.
5. Rider who forgot helmet greased out on wooden bridge on GNH after the steep roller before the jump line and bruised his ribs. He was wearing a cross country beanie helmet he borrowed but managed to save his face from destruction.
6. Other buddy had his muffler torn completely of his car by a rock.

I made it out unscathed but DAMN I know Whistler would have been sick yesterday. No lines either I bet.

July 16, 2012, 8:52 a.m.

More like GARBanzO, dropping anz out of the middle.

July 16, 2012, 8:59 a.m.

I'll get in touch with this guy as I'm certain he has the final answer to this important question.

July 16, 2012, 10:25 a.m.

I could care less what people call areas of the mountain and lifts its just comes down to us all being lazy and not using full names. Whatever.

mtbskierdad

July 16, 2012, 10:31 a.m.

We were going up but one of our crew started going on about lightning so he convinced us to ride Squamish. Here is what ensued:

1. Guy in my car forgot helmet which he could have rented in Whistler.
2. Guy who convinced us to ride Squamish twisted his ankle on 19th and went home after the first run. So did all his friends.
3. Near concussion when one rider got stuck in a three foot deep drainage trench.
4. Many gnarly grease outs on roots on Grin and Holler with one pulled groin muscle.
5. Rider who forgot helmet greased out on wooden bridge on GNH after the steep roller before the jump line and bruised his ribs. He was wearing a cross country beanie helmet he borrowed but managed to save his face from destruction.
6. Other buddy had his muffler torn completely of his car by a rock.

I made it out unscathed but DAMN I know Whistler would have been sick yesterday. No lines either I bet.

Get new friends.

July 17, 2012, 7:50 p.m.

Garbi was choice today. I enjoyed the plethora that the "chana" area offered. Being higher on the mountain, the "sanagalu" zone is always a touch cooler, and the trails, definitely more tacky. I went riding with some long time bike park locals who were up there at the start of this area when it was referred to as "ceci" section; back in 1872.

Was a good day. I love the trails on Bengal gram.

DS

"I'm addicted to surfing."