2 to 3 hour hike

Aug. 2, 2013, 7:23 a.m.

Going up to Whistler this weekend with my GF. Looking for suggestion for a hike in the area of about 2 to 3 hours. Right now Cheakamus Lake is the frontrunner.

Aug. 2, 2013, 7:40 a.m.

Rainbow Lake is a nice one as well. Or you can take the lifts up and do some hiking off Whistler or Blackcomb.

Aug. 2, 2013, 12:54 p.m.

Rainbow Lake is more like a 5-6 hour death march through the forest for limited alpine scenery IMO. Worst hike ever, or maybe it was the hangover, but I wasn't impressed.

2-3 hours isn't much time to get high enough to see anything worthwhile. Cheakamus is a good call as it right along the river. Walking out to Singing Creek and back should be about 3 hours.

Otherwise take the lifts up and hike the alpine on either Whistler or Blackcomb.

Aug. 2, 2013, 1:32 p.m.

I was going to recommend hiking yumby numby and the end of comfortably numb should be around three hours weith some good views and swim in lost lake to finish

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

Aug. 2, 2013, 2:50 p.m.

heck if you are going to do cheakamus lake, bring the bikes.

Aug. 2, 2013, 3:49 p.m.

heck if you are going to do cheakamus lake, bring the bikes.

yup, and if you're gonna hike, might as well take the gondy and start your hike in the alpine with sweet views

Aug. 2, 2013, 4:05 p.m.

The GF does not ride.

Taking the lifts and hiking the alpine sounds great. Are there marked trails? How cold is it up there?

Aug. 2, 2013, 4:41 p.m.

The GF does not ride.

Taking the lifts and hiking the alpine sounds great. Are there marked trails? How cold is it up there?

Yes there are marked trails. The "High Note" trail is fantastic…around the 'back' of whistler peak to Singing Pass, with views down on cheakamus lake/tusk, etc.

Weather:
http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/the-mountain/snow-and-weather/index.aspx
and look at the "Alpine Temperature"

BTW, the cheakamus lake trail is a super easy ride…one step above the seawall. Unless you mean "doesn't ride" like, at all.

Aug. 2, 2013, 5:11 p.m.

Thanks, "High Note" looks perfect.

The GF does not rid at all. She runs which is good enough for me.

Aug. 2, 2013, 5:56 p.m.

i work on both whistler and blackcomb , specifically the hiking trails , and i would recommend the decker loop over on blackcomb over the high note trail .

better views , better trail surface , better management of elevation gain / loss . better walk " reward " as the decker tarn and blackcomb lake offer absolutely beautiful resting spots , whereas the high note trail doesn't really have any " payback ".

not saying it isn't a good trail , but comparing the two ( and i walk them both regularly ) i'd much rather do the decker loop .

i'd give a big thumbs up to the cheakamus lake trail as well . make sure you go all the way to singing creek if you want to get away from the majority , who go as far as the lake / river mouth and then turn around . break up the walk back with a little side trip down to the helm creek bridge over the cheak .

Aug. 2, 2013, 10:58 p.m.

i work on both whistler and blackcomb , specifically the hiking trails , and i would recommend the decker loop over on blackcomb over the high note trail .

better views , better trail surface , better management of elevation gain / loss . better walk " reward " as the decker tarn and blackcomb lake offer absolutely beautiful resting spots , whereas the high note trail doesn't really have any " payback ".

not saying it isn't a good trail , but comparing the two ( and i walk them both regularly ) i'd much rather do the decker loop .

i'd give a big thumbs up to the cheakamus lake trail as well . make sure you go all the way to singing creek if you want to get away from the majority , who go as far as the lake / river mouth and then turn around . break up the walk back with a little side trip down to the helm creek bridge over the cheak .

all of what 'skid said is bang on

Aug. 3, 2013, 2:01 p.m.

From a trail running perspective which one is better? Doing a ride to Whistler (Sat) and then the Slow Food Ride on Sunday, but really want to get an Alpine run in.

Thanks,

Dan

www.steedcycles.com

Aug. 3, 2013, 2:26 p.m.

in that case , by far , decker .

but plan it for either early or late , otherwise you will prolly be dodging walkers .

cheak lake is a really good run , because the grades are gentle and the sight lines are longer , so folks can see you coming from further away .

i'd sooner run cheak than either of those two alpine trails but of those two in the alpine , do decker tarn via overlord trail .

Aug. 5, 2013, 10:41 a.m.

We end up doing High Note. Boy I'm I out of shape. That was a tough one. The flies in one section were brutal. Pay off was an amazing view of Cheakamus Lake. Worth doing once.

Aug. 5, 2013, 4:23 p.m.

hey i told ya . . . next time listen to the local :lol:

don't be too hard on yourself re the fitness thing . remember yer working at 6500' , even if yer fit , it does take some getting used to .

can't do anything about the bugs .

hope ya had a good weekend anyway .

come back for the decker loop later .

dan , ya get that run in ?