what kind of wood?

July 5, 2004, 10:35 a.m.

I am in California and there is no ceder where i live. I have been trying to make some stunts but have not found any hard wood in the forests. The only kind of tree is pine. Just wondering what kind of wood to get, might be able to find a harder wood in a lumber yard or something but not out in the woods.

July 5, 2004, 10:58 a.m.

if youre in nor cal and can find some decently straight Manzintia(sp) its pretty strong.

Pastor of Muppets

July 5, 2004, 11:32 a.m.

go over the border and get some god wood from CANADA!

July 5, 2004, 11:55 a.m.

Pine is ok and is fairly strong. Cedar is preferred for two main reasons;

1. It is very easy to work with and split so you get square rungs for ladder work.

2. It is highly resistant to rot.

Seeing as you live in Cali, you are not subjected to the amount of rain we get up here in BC, so the rot resistance property of cedar is not as critical. You can use round rungs but it does not look as good as cedar.

When building any structure make sure you:

1. Cut the ends of the rungs square when nailing your rungs to the supports. This gives a much secure connection and prevents the rungs from coming lose.

2. Place the rungs are very close together so that your foot cannot fall between the rungs in any manner. If your foot can fall through between two rungs it's a great way to break your leg if you crash or slip off a ladder. This is especially tru when you have to turn a corner.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

July 5, 2004, 3:48 p.m.

Thanks for the tips synchro,
I have a lot of access to redwood and manzanita. Would redwood be good for ladders? it is pretty strong.

July 5, 2004, 5:01 p.m.

oh yeah, red wood.use it up!best wood you can get locally.I forgot about that stuff!

Pastor of Muppets

July 6, 2004, 4:11 a.m.

If the wood isn't as strong, or doesn't last as long, just make your rungs thicker.

Redwood would be great.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells