wasp nests while building

Aug. 12, 2013, 12:30 p.m.

I've been killin nests all summer for the muni I work for. Got rid of one nest in the ground with gasoline. Doesn't kill em but they all left the nest.

diggin

Aug. 12, 2013, 12:43 p.m.

Problem with nests that big is that if we don't get them in the first shot it's going to hurt, bad.

Couple of years ago I had to get rid of a big one in my chimney.

Hiking boots, coveralls, leather gloves, bug hood, with the sleeves and pant legs taped shut.

Because I was accessing the chimney from the roof, I couldn't run if they attacked.

Got some comments from the neighbours wondering what I was doing, dressed like that.

Aug. 12, 2013, 3:37 p.m.

Round 2 of my personal battle was today. There are more than I expected but less than yesterday, the nest goes deeper. The raid doesn't seem to kill them right away but it disorients them enough that they fly into walls and can't get off the ground. I'm just hoping they don't relocate to under my deck and launch an attack when I'm enjoying my morning coffee.

Aug. 12, 2013, 9:42 p.m.

Change their season with a few co2 fire extinguishers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7kMBdTXHwc

Aug. 12, 2013, 9:49 p.m.

Won't help with wasps on the trail…but a pressure washer works pretty good.

Aug. 13, 2013, 12:39 a.m.

I've used a can of RAID on two separate occasions. You can safely kill'em from 8' away Plenty of escape routes to use to avoid getting stung.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=pH51rAX-G3o

Aug. 13, 2013, 3:38 a.m.

I've been killin nests all summer for the muni I work for. Got rid of one nest in the ground with gasoline. Doesn't kill em but they all left the nest.

LOL - gasoline is the approved procedure eh??

I'm ignoring Smedley.

Aug. 13, 2013, 1:32 p.m.

LOL - gasoline is the approved procedure eh??

hehe ya was with an old timer so it was on him. worked though

diggin

Aug. 13, 2013, 8:59 p.m.

Round 2 of my personal battle was today. There are more than I expected but less than yesterday, the nest goes deeper. The raid doesn't seem to kill them right away but it disorients them enough that they fly into walls and can't get off the ground. I'm just hoping they don't relocate to under my deck and launch an attack when I'm enjoying my morning coffee.

Cooler temps in the evening help slow them down, a lot!

A couple of decades ago I used the non-earth friendly Raid wasp spray on a nest in a tree. It shot a solid stream of liquid neurotoxin well over 10'. Just a drop was enough to paralyze them instantly. They'd fall to the ground, twitching and suffocating. Best strategy was to wait for evening coolness when they're all in the nest and moving kinda slow.

Did I mention that rubber gloves are highly recommended?

Aug. 13, 2013, 9:33 p.m.

Sonofabitch if I didn't get stung 7 times today. Found a nest in a machine that had been sitting for a month.

Good thing I still pack a tiger torch in my truck. Taught those fuckers good.

Pastor of Muppets

Aug. 14, 2013, 10:13 a.m.

A can of bear spray has worked for me. A little pricey but you can keep working after everything settles

Aug. 14, 2013, 10:06 p.m.

A can of bear spray has worked for me. A little pricey but you can keep working after everything settles

Hmmm, interesting. Curious if it actually kills them?
Might be worth using an outdated canister on a nest. It's good to practice with the stuff in case you ever really need to use it, and you don't want to try your chances on an expired canister with a bear.

Aug. 15, 2013, 9:25 a.m.

[QUOTE=cerealkilla';2772580]Hmmm, interesting. Curious if it actually kills them?
Might be worth using an outdated canister on a nest. It's good to practice with the stuff in case you ever really need to use it, and you don't want to try your chances on an expired canister with a bear.
We threw rocks and smashed the nest then opened up within a few feet of it. Killed them off within 5 minutes!

Aug. 15, 2013, 10:33 a.m.

Some guys I met last fall were telling me they had come across both hornet and wasp nests in the ground. They took some cans of tuna and stuffed the tuna down the entrance to the nests or as close as possible. The tuna attracted skunks. Skunks eat both hornets and wasps and will dig up the nest.

I haven't tried it myself. Had to deal with two bee hives on a trail this past winter. Since they were very aggressive we just re-routed the trail.

Aug. 21, 2013, 10:29 a.m.

out for a hike last night - little bushwack. Found a nasty nest of pissed off wasps - 15 stings - then the nasty little buggers followed me all the way back to the road - about 25 min downhill run and they were still on me. Persistent little shits. Got the mutt too.

I'm ignoring Smedley.